The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Oilers Race to 5th First Overall Pick in 7 Years

guntrix

At least this year the Oilers

have noticeably changed for the better.  They actually try to play a system now under McLellan, before they were just all over the place, but this year they look like a professional team.  Goaltending has been pretty decent too all things considered.  I think if this young group keeps following Mclellans system, and gels together, another key trade and a big UFA signing, and there ready to compete.

Just now, CALGARY! said:

At least this year the Oilers

have noticeably changed for the better.  They actually try to play a system now under McLellan, before they were just all over the place, but this year they look like a professional team.  Goaltending has been pretty decent too all things considered.  I think if this young group keeps following Mclellans system, and gels together, another key trade and a big UFA signing, and there ready to compete.

They don't even need to make any moves up front, they will be getting McDavid back soon, and they have missed Klefbom.

They have lost a lot of 1 goal games, but obviously they were in those games.

On 2016-01-11 at 4:09 AM, tas said:

the oilers' problem is threefold:

1. the pieces they need (top 4 defenceman) very rarely become available on the market, and when they do:

i) teams don't want the oilers'                         forwards in return

ii) if the player has any form of no                   trade clause, he's not going to                      edmonton.

2. they can't sign ufas because nobody wants to play there, and top flight defencemen very rarely make it to ufa anyway. 

3. they always draft too high to justify taking a defenceman in the first round. 

4.They do not know how to draft outside their 1st round pick and their development is very poor. Like, for serious, when they have been drafting top 5, they have also been drafting again in top 35 but where are those early 2nd round guys... F in nowhere

11 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

4.They do not know how to draft outside their 1st round pick and their development is very poor. Like, for serious, when they have been drafting top 5, they have also been drafting again in top 35 but where are those early 2nd round guys... F in nowhere

This is a bit of a shock really and absolutely true.  It's a symptom of mis-management.

Lack of leadership on and off the ice as well is the reason why they are floundering.

I really think they're getting it together since Bob Nicholson has taken over and hired Chirelli and McLellan.

They have to part with one of their precious 1st OA's to land a good young defenseman.  (missed out on Jones) and add some veterans.  I would be surprised if this doesn't happen before next season starts.

I get that people say that they won't mind if the Oilers get the first overall pick again as they ruin their prospects and won't do well anyways but the NHL can't like these first overall picks repeatedly ruined and/or constantly injured because they're not ready to compete in an 82 game schedule. They should not be allowed a first overall pick. Shouldn't be be allowed in the top 5 if you ask me. 

Chiarelli isn't going to let that team self implode. Like Benning, he's probably giving it a season to really evaluate what he has. I expect a lot of moves by the time next season starts. They have an excess of quality forwards with a serious lack of defense. When that gets addressed, they'll easily surpass Calgary. I think they're a couple seasons of changing mentality from being true contenders but they're definitely trending the right way.

They need a rule that states you cannot get more than 2 top 3 picks in 5 years. If your bad for a year or 2 and get the 1OA pick back to back, fine. If your still bad after that than its on you to do something. Edmonton is going to be the next dynasty and if they arent then the managment deserves to be labelled worst of all time.

How many top 10 picks have they had in the last 10 years? 10? Lol

10 hours ago, McHortanen said:

They need a rule that states you cannot get more than 2 top 3 picks in 5 years. If your bad for a year or 2 and get the 1OA pick back to back, fine. If your still bad after that than its on you to do something. Edmonton is going to be the next dynasty and if they arent then the managment deserves to be labelled worst of all time.

How many top 10 picks have they had in the last 10 years? 10? Lol

Agreed about limiting picks. I'm still uncertain they'll be a dynasty. For their fans sake I hope so - they've put up with what must seem as an endless amount of bad seasons. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Edmonton_Oilers_draft_picks

By my count, 7? Two in the 20's and one year they didn't have a first rounder. Though it is 1:30 so I could've missed something :)

A stupid amount, regardless.

I see them trading RNH, at least I'm hoping they do. Already have McDavid and Draisaitl (whom I really wish had fallen to canucks haha). 

If they did get 1overall again maybe they would trade down to get the BPA Dman? Might be wise

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

If they get Matthews or Puljujarvi that would be nuts. 

Trade Hopkins and/or Eberle and load up on D and depth forwards.

Yes, they are almost for certain going to get 1, 2, or 3 this summer.  That means, like you point out, RNH are trade bait for D help. Would you trade Edler for RNH?  Are RNH and Eberle (considering their contracts, history of being complete losers, and one way play) even worth that much in trade?  

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

If they get Matthews or Puljujarvi that would be nuts. 

Trade Hopkins and/or Eberle and load up on D and depth forwards.

A lot of scouts are expecting Tkachuk might be the 1st overall now. Regardless though, they WILL get Mathews, Puljujarvi, or Tkachuk cuz they'll probably pick top 4 and one of those teams will take Chychrun

4 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

McDavid 1C

Matthews 2C

Nugent Hopkins 3C

Draisaitl 4C

...Ference #1D

same old story :lol::lol: 

Actually their D looks a lot better going forward. Ference has't played 10 games this year.

Sekera was signed to long term deal last summer.

Klefbom signed to a great long term contract. 

Nurse coming along nicely.

Reinhart needs a couple of seasons and could be a nice #4 D. Davidson is ahead of Reinhart on the depth chart but he too has been injured and on ltir. 

They've been decimated with injuries this year. THey really miss Klefbom who's on ltir now. From McDavid, Hall, Yak, Davidson and now Hopkins. They've had lots of injuries. 

I know its most teams to draft the "best player available" but the Oilers need some serious help on D, plus it doesnt help that they kept drafting the same kind of a forward. 

I will say they are the Columbus of last year....the injury bug hurts. Although I think the NHL needs to make sure they dont get the 1st overall pick this year.

Archived