The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Oilers Race to 5th First Overall Pick in 7 Years

guntrix

If they get top pick OIlers will trade down, they don't need another C, already have too many and will be trading Hopkins this summer as they don't need a 6 million dollar 3C. McDavid and Draisaitl will be the most dominant one two punch in the NHL in couple of years. Kinda like Crosby and Malkin in PIT.

If they get 2nd or 3rd they should pick Puljujarvi or Laine. Trade both Hopkins for a stud Dman and maybe Eberle. 

The young kid they pick would come in the next couple of years, it would be better in dealing with cap issues down the road. 

54 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As badly as Edmonton need defence, they need a goalie too and they're not going to find one in the draft. Trade down to around #4 or #5 and try and get a goalie out of that with the #1 pick, then draft Chychrun. That's how you try and fix their team.

After a slow start Talbot has been fairly good for them. 

Folks have been saying for a few seasons now that the Oilers will trade down and collect multiple assets at the draft....and yet history tells us that they will pretty much be a lock for the BPA and then try and juggle whatever they have into their roster of 1rst overall draftee's.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2015 at 0:49 AM, HC20.0 said:

If the Oilers win this draft lottery, they should be forced to forfeit their pick. The draft lottery is so broken that it's not even funny. The Stanley Cup winner should get the #1 overall. The losers can have 2 through 15. I mean, Edmonton for crying out loud. 2010: Hall. 2011: Nugent-Hopkins. 2012: Yakupov, and the best yet! 2015: McDavid. Not only that, but Nurse at #7 OA in 2013 and Draisitl at #3 OA in 2014. I was super PO'd when they got McDavid, but if they get Matthews in 2016, then the NHL has to step in. Realistically too, as pointed out, they can't retain all of these guys. Yakupov and Eberle will very likely be gone in a year or two, and one of Draisitl, Nuge, or McDavid after, and it ain't gonna be Connor. If the Oilers win this year too, force Katz to either sell the team or clean house. Worst organization in sports, and they keep getting rewarded for it!

I agree why rewards $&!# play with all these top picks. I like khl method take the worst 14 teams and have tourney to see where you pick the winer gets 1st and so on Just not this year ive already started dreaming of a Swedish fin combo lol

I'm still mad that they won the lottery for the best player since 99!

I also hate how the media gushes about how great and skilled they are. They've been just salivating for the coilers to break out and dominate the league so we can all relive the 80's. No thanks.

They've been good enough to pick top 5 every year!! They shouldn't get rewarded for historical suckage.

The fans are so arrogant and feel entitled. 

Bah I just hate the Oilers!!!

IF they get 1st overall trade down a few spots. Get a high end piece in the draft and upgrade their roster with the trade.

Plus trade Hopkins for a Stud Dman. With Nurse Klefbom developing nicely and all the top end forwards 1 year older they'll be a good team next year. They'll easily make the playoffs even with minor upgrades to the roster and the kids getting a year older.

On 2/8/2016 at 3:36 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

As badly as Edmonton need defence, they need a goalie too and they're not going to find one in the draft. Trade down to around #4 or #5 and try and get a goalie out of that with the #1 pick, then draft Chychrun. That's how you try and fix their team.

Laurent Brossoit is actually a pretty good prospect. He could be knocking on the door for an NHL job within 1-2 seasons.

but they are not going to get a 1D for eberle or RNH that is the problem

they have : hall/mcjesus/yakupove/draisatle/eberle/rnh.

At this point only Hall or Mccdavid could get you a potential franchise d man. Yakupov is worthless now and rnh and eberle could get you a no 2 dman like Hamonic/Tanev/Edler. Surprised edmonton has not aquired hamonic by now. They should have moved Yakupov for a d man last year but classic edmonton- they ruined the kid with their development.

45 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Both the NHL and the Edmonton Oilers should be embarrassed in how one team can purposely suck this bad and intentionally stock up on high end talent, and STILL suck!

Whenever it is windy in Calgary I am reminded of just how bad Edmonton sucks.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You live in Calgary? Does Edmonton smell?

I remember driving past Calgary on the way to Drumheller six years ago. It thought it looked like a nice city.

Yes, I do.   Can't smell it from here.

It's a great city to live in.  &^@# the hockey team though.

4 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Yes, I do.   Can't smell it from here.

It's a great city to live in.  &^@# the hockey team though.

What does it feel like to live in a city where the average person can afford to buy a home?

And where the average citizen isn't a total self-absorbed tool?

Yeah I hate the Flames. Didn't before when Iginla, Kiprusoff, and the old team was there. This new Calgary team is composed of a bunch of jackholes.

Archived