The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defensive Zone Toughness

Nucknalberta

First Post. After watching the Ducks game last night it is apparent that inside our own blue line we are a timid team. I think it was an off night for the entire team which will happen in sports. When it comes to toughness I am not talking fighting but am talking clearing the front of the net, finishing checks when you have the opportunity and even a few cheap shots after the whistle. I think we are the softest team to play against in the league in our own end. It seems that after a play stoppage our forwards are given a push or a slash yet the other teams get to drive to the net and then stand over our goalie while our defense asks them for their autograph.  

You watch the replays of goals going in and there are one or two guys playing goalie instead of taking the man. Other teams are able to have glorious chances in front of our goalies from in the slot because we are stick checking or just trying to block a shot. Other than the Sedin's who set up their cycle game our offense has to battle through other teams defense that take the man and finish their checks. The other teams offense comes over the blue line and we back in to almost on top of Miller before someone try's to stick check. We have been lucky enough to have some pretty good goaltenders over the past 10 years that have been hung out to dry...it always seems the other teams has a guy wide open 10 feet in front of our goalie. Occasionally you have Edler or Sbisa stepping up to make a hit but this seems to be a rarity rather than a regular occurrence. Remember the days of Potvin, Scott Stevens, Pronger, who were nasty and mean...what happened to having a defense pairing of the puck mover and the stay at home mean guy? You don't have to be big to play tough..but I do believe you have to have the mindset that the other guy is the enemy and he is not coming through to your net with out at least getting a bruise.

If we are in a rebuilding mode I am hoping some where in the organization we are grooming some defensive toughness...

At the very least move out Weber for Biega. Leading Canucks D in scoring with 11 in 65 barely earns him a roster spot. 0 goals, 3 assists and -8 along with all of his other weaknesses... I really don't see the point. At the very least Biega can't be any worse defensively (I've liked what I've seen) and he brings physicality. 

Pedan does have potential to be far worse defensively than even Weber, but he has so much upside and needs to get some games in. At least we can see what his capabilities are. 

This season is going south pretty quick, and the lack of toughness is apparent.  The D is buttery soft and probably is the worst D the canucks have put on the ice in the past 15 years.

I looked up the Canucks' record during the past 20 years and 1998-1999 was a terrible season.   They ended up with 58 points that year.  For whatever reason that was a bad team.  To show how bad this current D is I will list the 1998 D and you decide which one you would rather have right now:

Bret Hedican
Jamie Huscroft
Ed Jovanovski
Chris McAllister
Bryan McCabe
Mattias Ohlund
Brent Sopel
Jason Strudwick

In my mind, I would rather have the 1998-1999 D.  I doubt guys like McAllister, Jovo and McCabe would stand around and watch their rookies get mauled (even though they were young too) or their goalie get run into.  

On December 1, 2015 at 10:26:51 AM, Nucknalberta said:

First Post. After watching the Ducks game last night it is apparent that inside our own blue line we are a timid team. I think it was an off night for the entire team which will happen in sports. When it comes to toughness I am not talking fighting but am talking clearing the front of the net, finishing checks when you have the opportunity and even a few cheap shots after the whistle. I think we are the softest team to play against in the league in our own end. It seems that after a play stoppage our forwards are given a push or a slash yet the other teams get to drive to the net and then stand over our goalie while our defense asks them for their autograph.  

You watch the replays of goals going in and there are one or two guys playing goalie instead of taking the man. Other teams are able to have glorious chances in front of our goalies from in the slot because we are stick checking or just trying to block a shot. Other than the Sedin's who set up their cycle game our offense has to battle through other teams defense that take the man and finish their checks. The other teams offense comes over the blue line and we back in to almost on top of Miller before someone try's to stick check. We have been lucky enough to have some pretty good goaltenders over the past 10 years that have been hung out to dry...it always seems the other teams has a guy wide open 10 feet in front of our goalie. Occasionally you have Edler or Sbisa stepping up to make a hit but this seems to be a rarity rather than a regular occurrence. Remember the days of Potvin, Scott Stevens, Pronger, who were nasty and mean...what happened to having a defense pairing of the puck mover and the stay at home mean guy? You don't have to be big to play tough..but I do believe you have to have the mindset that the other guy is the enemy and he is not coming through to your net with out at least getting a bruise.

If we are in a rebuilding mode I am hoping some where in the organization we are grooming some defensive toughness...

Still think the Anaheim game was an off night for the team?

On December 1, 2015 at 10:26:51 AM, Nucknalberta said:

Lol, one or two?  Lately it's been all 5 guys 2 feet outside the crease staring back at the net waving their sticks at the puck sailing into the net.

34 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

This season is going south pretty quick, and the lack of toughness is apparent.  The D is buttery soft and probably is the worst D the canucks have put on the ice in the past 15 years.

I looked up the Canucks' record during the past 20 years and 1998-1999 was a terrible season.   They ended up with 58 points that year.  For whatever reason that was a bad team.  To show how bad this current D is I will list the 1998 D and you decide which one you would rather have right now:

Bret Hedican
Jamie Huscroft
Ed Jovanovski
Chris McAllister
Bryan McCabe
Mattias Ohlund
Brent Sopel
Jason Strudwick

In my mind, I would rather have the 1998-1999 D.  I doubt guys like McAllister, Jovo and McCabe would stand around and watch their rookies get mauled (even though they were young too) or their goalie get run into.  

Was that the Messier and Keenan era?

Archived