The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Canucks Recall Biega

Ossi Vaananen

Tanev missed part of the game last night but I believe he finished. We still have Pedan up, so you would figure he gets a shot first.

Vancouver, BC – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has recalled defenceman Alex Biega from the AHL Utica Comets.

Biega, 27, has appeared in one game with Vancouver and in 14 games with Utica where he has registered six points (1-5-6) and eight penalty minutes. He made his NHL debut in 2014.15, appearing in seven games and notching one goal as a member of the Vancouver Canucks. Last season, Biega registered 19 points (3-16-19) and 24 penalty minutes in 62 games, ranking second in scoring among defencemen on the Utica Comets. Biega also played in 23 playoff games for Utica, collecting four points (0-4-4) and 16 penalty minutes.

6 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Why did they even bring Pedan up if Biega will slot in over him...the thrill of sitting in the press box?

How about practicing with the big team and getting an NHL paycheck?  As much as he probably would love to get in a game or two, do you think he's complaining or asking these types of questions like we are on CDC?  I think not.

I really hope this is a move for good involving Weber coming out of the line up and Biega in. They're both roughly the same size, but Biega is sure a lot tougher to play against than Weber. The only thing Weber brings to the table is that shot of his, considering he's got 0 goals so far this year should make this an easy decision. Get him out of the line up and please, unless there is an emergency don't put him back in!

11 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

How about practicing with the big team and getting an NHL paycheck?  As much as he probably would love to get in a game or two, do you think he's complaining or asking these types of questions like we are on CDC?  I think not.

If he's competitive, yes, he is asking that question though likely not out loud.

14 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

When your ultimate goal is to crack the NHL, I would think the paycheck would be on the back-burner. Just saying....

While I'm sure there are talks between him and the coach and that he's a "professional", what are you telling your prospect indirectly when you called him up, not play him, then call up another prospect and play that other prospect?

14 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

I feel all upset my statement wasnt up to your all knowing standards oh great poobah..dont you think the kid would like to play...dont you think the fans would like to see him play...but the a paycheck and the pressbox will suffice.

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

When your ultimate goal is to crack the NHL, I would think the paycheck would be on the back-burner. Just saying....

While I'm sure there are talks between him and the coach and that he's a "professional", what are you telling your prospect indirectly when you called him up, not play him, then call up another prospect and play that other prospect?

Biega is not a prospect haha...but as some of you have seen, I'm a big supporter of Pedan getting at least a game to show his worth. Weber getting yet another game after his shameful performance last night is beyond absurd to me. 

5 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I feel all upset my statement wasnt up to your all knowing standards oh great poobah..dont you think the kid would like to play...dont you think the fans would like to see him play...but the a paycheck and the pressbox will suffice.

im sure he'd like to play but the guy makes a pretty good point..  he probably makes at least 10x more a day when he's in vancouver than in Utica.

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Biega plays right, Pedan left. If Tanev (righty) can't go...

Bingo. People are so reactive without even thinking.

If we need a right handed D and don't want to push Sbisa to the right side (like he had done with Hutton) then Biega will slot in. Pedan won't be replacing Weber either, as Weber's also a righty.

I mean, stop and think for a minute people.

1 minute ago, wshdrvvn said:

im sure he'd like to play but the guy makes a pretty good point..  he probably makes at least 10x more a day when he's in vancouver than in Utica.

I understand that..but Im sure the kid would love to play..rewarding a guy with money is nice..but the main plan is to play in the NHL..just my point of view..and I dont mind the guys point of view at all..but his answer was aimed at someone who doesnt have a clue, where I dont think I was the only one asking it.

Its obvious he was brought up strictly as insurance without any plans to play him unless absolutely needed.

Archived