The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Canucks Recall Biega

Ossi Vaananen

9 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Canucks D is looking so weak right now the D should be lower case.

Canucks d

like someone else said in here...that kid with the ear muffs sitting  behind the bench, the one sitting on Rocky's lap, is tougher than 5/6 of our d-men

Regardless of handedness, I'd like to see Pedan come in. We could use his physicality vs. a tough LA team. While I love Biega's feisty game, he's still 5'10". 

Let's do what Benning has preached since he got here, make this team tougher to play against. Bring in Pedan, call up Gaunce, sit Baer and even slot in Grenier when size is needed. 

45 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I understand that..but Im sure the kid would love to play..rewarding a guy with money is nice..but the main plan is to play in the NHL..just my point of view..and I dont mind the guys point of view at all..but his answer was aimed at someone who doesnt have a clue, where I dont think I was the only one asking it.

Its obvious he was brought up strictly as insurance without any plans to play him unless absolutely needed.

My point is, both opinions are accurate.  He definitely wants to play and he definitely doesn't mind making a lot more money for a few weeks. 

Plus, it doesn't hurt him to have some time practicing in the NHL.  Maybe he's not quite ready yet, but he's improving, and his reward is to take some practice reps with NHLers?

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

Why did they even bring Pedan up if Biega will slot in over him...the thrill of sitting in the press box?

How many times does it have to be explained.

Players are brought up as recognition of their progress. to let the coach familiarise himself with him and to introduce him to players he MAY be playing with while letting him learn the systems.

Not of that implies he HAS to play, it's part of an integration process.

22 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Regardless of handedness, I'd like to see Pedan come in. We could use his physicality vs. a tough LA team. While I love Biega's feisty game, he's still 5'10". 

Let's do what Benning has preached since he got here, make this team tougher to play against. Bring in Pedan, call up Gaunce, sit Baer and even slot in Grenier when size is needed. 

Fine just as long as Pedan doesn't fight again this season. 

I'm all for bringing up Biega, BUT ... this time if he outplays any of the mainstays (that's you, Weber and Bartkowski) then he stays up for good. It's easy to pigeonhole Biega as a career AHLer and a fill-in, but if actually delivers more of what is needed than some regulars, then give the guy his due and use him!!! There's not much to lose and his competitive fire might be enough to surprise the ass off everyone.

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

I feel all upset my statement wasnt up to your all knowing standards oh great poobah..dont you think the kid would like to play...dont you think the fans would like to see him play...but the a paycheck and the pressbox will suffice.

Are your panties on a little too tight?

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

When your ultimate goal is to crack the NHL, I would think the paycheck would be on the back-burner. Just saying....

While I'm sure there are talks between him and the coach and that he's a "professional", what are you telling your prospect indirectly when you called him up, not play him, then call up another prospect and play that other prospect?

I get what you're saying.  The kid's up here and I'm sure he's dying to play.  I'd be too.  But, at the same time, given that Willie is supposedly a great communicator, he or Lidster are probably taking the time to orient him with the big club.  I'm guessing that in spite of his desire to play an NHL game, Pedan is happy soaking in the experience for when he's given the opportunity to play (whether it be this call up or the next).  Disappointed that he's not playing and disappointed that Biega might slot in ahead of him because of a need for a RHD, I'm sure he's relishing the opportunity of being up here.

As far as the money thing goes, it may not be a high priority, but wouldn't you think Pedan is happier to be making the pro-rata of $793K in the NHL vs. $163K in the AHL?  I'm thinking a paycheck is a paycheck, no matter what your chosen field is, and mo' money better money.

JB has to be re thinking his position on Weber. It seems his late season play from last season was a false read. Good back then brutal as of today. Biega is a better choice than Weber right now hands down. The thing is you rarely notice Biega because he just plays a simple defensive game...on the other hand Weber...not so much he stand out because he trys to do too much...read his own press clippings.

Just now, HK Phooey said:

I get what you're saying.  The kid's up here and I'm sure he's dying to play.  I'd be too.  But, at the same time, given that Willie is supposedly a great communicator, he or Lidster are probably taking the time to orient him with the big club.  I'm guessing that in spite of his desire to play an NHL game, Pedan is happy soaking in the experience for when he's given the opportunity to play (whether it be this call up or the next).  Disappointed that he's not playing and disappointed that Biega might slot in ahead of him because of a need for a RHD, I'm sure he's relishing the opportunity of being up here.

As far as the money thing goes, it may not be a high priority, but wouldn't you think Pedan is happier to be making the pro-rata of $793K in the NHL vs. $163K in the AHL?  I'm thinking a paycheck is a paycheck, no matter what your chosen field is, and mo' money better money.

Of course it's going to make a difference to an extent. However, relishing or not, there's still that lingering thought that comes with being scratched, especially if another defender gets called up while you're called up and plays instead.

I just think if you're going to give a prospect a good message that he's doing things right, don't negate it by dangling a carrot and then taking that carrot away. 

Give him a game like they did Shinkaruk. I have a feeling he will get a game actually. At least I'm hoping. 

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Of course it's going to make a difference to an extent. However, relishing or not, there's still that lingering thought that comes with being scratched, especially if another defender gets called up while you're called up and plays instead.

I just think if you're going to give a prospect a good message that he's doing things right, don't negate it by dangling a carrot and then taking that carrot away. 

Give him a game like they did Shinkaruk. I have a feeling he will get a game actually. At least I'm hoping. 

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I think the mental make-up of most of these kids are a lot tougher than we make it out to be (not to imply that's what you're saying).  Pedan being disappointed...sure...but discouraged or deterred - not likely, though a lot of this hinges on how well the coaching staff communicates, so IMO, therein lies where the message is delivered and received.  If Pedan is what we think he may become, I'm going to bet he's going to take any disappointment and use it as motivation.  

He's got a taste of what it means to travel, practice, etc. in the bigs...so I see this experience as being a motivator for him to want to get back (if and when he's sent to Utica) moreso than Pedan having any lingering effects of wondering, WTH, why am I being passed over for Beiga (insert another name)?

Like you, I hope he gets to play and would like to see what he can do.  I don't see Pedan being passed over on this go-around as having any adverse effect on his attitude or development.  But then, I was also the guy who thought that Sestito was being misquoted and his attitude wasn't so bad until Sestito's story from Utica broke...so I really don't know much and am most likely talking out of the lower regions of my anatomy (though to my defence, I might have a small amount of insight as I'm friends with a few ex-fringers who got the call up several times, but played very few games in the NHL...and they were never disenfranchised by getting the call up but not getting in the lineup...and they were REALLY competitive guys.  They were lucky to have coaches that talked to them about what was going on, so I'm sure that helped).

Thanks for the good hockey discussion/exchange, Lock.

4 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Are your panties on a little too tight?

Is your head in your butt a little to tight..a response with a normal tone would have been fine..not an arrogant answer like everyone is a dweeb except you.

"do you think he's complaining or asking these types of questions like we are on CDC?  I think not. "

Archived