The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Canucks Recall Biega

Ossi Vaananen

On 10 December 2015 at 2:42 PM, canucklehead44 said:

I read an article from a year or two ago, and they used Fedun as a comparison for a "high quality AHL defenseman". Haven't really seen him play much. I might catch Utica on Sunday as I live in Toronto.

I would like to see Pedan get some games in. On paper he is golden - 9 points, +7, 43PIM in 18 games. But Fedun has a slightly even more impressive stat line. 

Pedan is 22. I would hope he gets at least 5 or 6 games in this year. Plays 20-40 games next year, and is a full-time NHLer at 24.I would like to see the numbers on it, but just from following hockey closely over the past 16 years I've noticed that if a player doesn't make it by 24 (at least for most of the season) it is hard for them to crack the league as a 25 year old. I would make exceptions for college players, and add a year to that since they might be 25 with only two years of AHL experience. 

Fedun's progress was stalled though. Firstly he was a College player and then.

"Fedun impressed the Oilers at the 2011 Young Stars Tournament in Penticton, British Columbia, and continued to impress throughout the Oilers' pre-season games, remaining on the roster after other young high performers, such as Tyler Pitlick and Curtis Hamilton, have been sent to the Oilers' AHL farm team, the Oklahoma City Barons.[2]

Prior to the 2011–12 season, when the Oilers' roster sat at 32 players, with 9 more needing to be cut before the team's final roster was made, Fedun was tripped by the Minnesota Wild's forward, Eric Nystrom, and fractured his femur during a preseason game while attempting to retrieve the puck and force an icing. Fedun suffered a complex fracture to his right femur[3] and missed the entire 2011–12 season after a rod was put in his leg."

Banning likes character.

56 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

"Fedun impressed the Oilers at the 2011 Young Stars Tournament in Penticton, British Columbia, and continued to impress throughout the Oilers' pre-season games, remaining on the roster after other young high performers, such as Tyler Pitlick and Curtis Hamilton, have been sent to the Oilers' AHL farm team, the Oklahoma City Barons.[2]

Prior to the 2011–12 season, when the Oilers' roster sat at 32 players, with 9 more needing to be cut before the team's final roster was made, Fedun was tripped by the Minnesota Wild's forward, Eric Nystrom, and fractured his femur during a preseason game while attempting to retrieve the puck and force an icing. Fedun suffered a complex fracture to his right femur[3] and missed the entire 2011–12 season after a rod was put in his leg."

Banning likes character.

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Banning likes character.

The icing rules were actually changed because of that incident 

12 hours ago, Googlie said:

He (WD) also praised Biega, saying that he had performed better than expected in the couple of games since he was recalled - "a difference maker" he called him

Nice. I'd be wiling to bet Utica loses their captain. 

Biega is a perfect example of a guy who gets easily buried in the minors. 22 year old rookie in the AHL. 5'10, scores 18 points. His teammate, Gragnani, has two record breaking seasons back-to-back and still struggles to crack the Sabres lineup full-time.

He really impressed last season during his short call-up. 34 hits in 7 games. 34!! 5 hits in a game is a great number, but he averaged that over 7 games. I remember one game after looking at the box score I was shocked. I think he had 10 hits (might have been 7). While hit numbers don't really seem to be a big deal anymore, back maybe 13 or 14 years ago Mattias Ohlund was one of the three stars for 0 goals, 0 assists and 10 hits. For some no-name 5'10 defenseman to come in and do that on a callup is impressive.

Archived