The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Uppers & Downers

This is the LSD thread.

Cos' let's face it, the season IS a marathon(long, slow distance), not a sprint.

So which 2 teams have started hunky dory, but you believe will fade?

Conversely, which 2 or 3 have started gangbusters, but will inevitably hit the skids?

Be bold & bet all yer chips...

significant downers: Dallas, in 2nd OA(don't like their 'tending), Pitt, 8th(annual injuries; suspect D)

Uppers: CBJ(29th Overall), Ana(24th) & Winn(20th) will all climb significantly

2 teams up in the standings that I see fading:

Arizona (young teams, always exciting, but not always consistent)

Boston (they're not as good as they used to be)

3 teams down int he standings that I see making a push:

Anaheim (it's Anaheim, need I say more?)

Tampa Bay (they can do damage but have a habit of being a roller coaster in the standings)

Vancouver (So many 1 goal games gone wrong, could easily have gone the other way so many times)

56 minutes ago, The Lock said:

2 teams up in the standings that I see fading:

Arizona (young teams, always exciting, but not always consistent)

Boston (they're not as good as they used to be)

3 teams down int he standings that I see making a push:

Anaheim (it's Anaheim, need I say more?)

Tampa Bay (they can do damage but have a habit of being a roller coaster in the standings)

Vancouver (So many 1 goal games gone wrong, could easily have gone the other way so many times)

Last call, you might be smokin' hopium, but I hope your dreams come true.

Teams I see pushing up: 

Tampa Bay - Bishop has been solid, and they have Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Johnson, Palat, Filppula, etc. they'll be fine.

Colorado - In my mind they aren't out of the division, they've got guys who are scoring, and have a maturing defensive core. Varlamov is just the big question mark for them. 

Philadelphia - I think if they give Neuvirth more starts they will win more games, and he has had a really good start to the season when playing over Mason. If the team keeps playing how they've been for the last week or so, I can see them grabbing one of the wildcard spots. 

Teams I see falling down: 

Boston - Rask is inconsistent, their defence doesn't provide much help for him either. Plus if the injury bug keeps hitting them I can't see them being up there in the standings. 

Ottawa - I like what guys like Karlsson, Ryan, and Turris are doing, but I just don't see what is so special about this team, other than their strokes of luck.

4 minutes ago, proheffanol said:

Teams I see pushing up: 

Tampa Bay - Bishop has been solid, and they have Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Johnson, Palat, Filppula, etc. they'll be fine.

Colorado - In my mind they aren't out of the division, they've got guys who are scoring, and have a maturing defensive core. Varlamov is just the big question mark for them. 

Philadelphia - I think if they give Neuvirth more starts they will win more games, and he has had a really good start to the season when playing over Mason. If the team keeps playing how they've been for the last week or so, I can see them grabbing one of the wildcard spots. 

Teams I see falling down: 

Boston - Rask is inconsistent, their defence doesn't provide much help for him either. Plus if the injury bug keeps hitting them I can't see them being up there in the standings. 

Ottawa - I like what guys like Karlsson, Ryan, and Turris are doing, but I just don't see what is so special about this team, other than their strokes of luck.

Interesting selections, but I'll admit a little skepticism. I think Philly & Col(mystery team) are shagged.

TBay will be worth watching. It feels like this Stamkos(UFA biz) matter is serving to distract? Or maybe they're tired from last season?..

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Interesting selections, but I'll admit a little skepticism. I think Philly & Col(mystery team) are shagged.

TBay will be worth watching. It feels like this Stamkos(UFA biz) matter is serving to distract? Or maybe they're tired from last season?..

A bit of skepticism yeah, but that's always the case when saying which teams will climb from the bottom to the top right? Like I'd imagine there is a bit of skepticism with how you think Columbus will rise up. I do honestly feel that Colorado and Philly will make pushes, but obviously I can see the doubt in that logic. 

As for Tampa I also think all the talks revolving around Stamkos is a factor into their struggles, but not so much the stanley cup hangover. It's more so getting the triplet line going, and finding a line of chemistry for Stamkos. I watch Tampa games whenever I can and they always seem to have Stamkos rotate playing with Drouin, Filppula, Killorn, Namestnikov, Palat, Callahan and Brown and nothing really seems to match consistently.

4 minutes ago, proheffanol said:

A bit of skepticism yeah, but that's always the case when saying which teams will climb from the bottom to the top right? Like I'd imagine there is a bit of skepticism with how you think Columbus will rise up. I do honestly feel that Colorado and Philly will make pushes, but obviously I can see the doubt in that logic. 

As for Tampa I also think all the talks revolving around Stamkos is a factor into their struggles, but not so much the stanley cup hangover. It's more so getting the triplet line going, and finding a line of chemistry for Stamkos. I watch Tampa games whenever I can and they always seem to have Stamkos rotate playing with Drouin, Filppula, Killorn, Namestnikov, Palat, Callahan and Brown and nothing really seems to match consistently.

I like TBay's scoring-depth as well. Last yr compared their roster to the '89 Flamers(not my team, by any stretch), but they were similarly loaded with snipers/fwd talent.

Colorado is a tough read-that's one streaky team(Vharlamov too). Philly is stuck with what they've had for a half-decade, 75% of a great team, that is cap-maxed. Hextall's trying to cook gourmet, & mop the floors simultaneously. His predecessors trashed the place.

Mostly agree with you on CBJ..similar vibe with Col. Coin-flip for these two.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived