The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Scott Weiland

BanTSN

19 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I'd put him in the same boat as Anthony Kedis. I liked STP a lot more than RHCP when I was younger, and I'm not a big fan of either today - but there are a few RHCP songs that I think to this day, are awesome (Breaking The Girl especially). Whereas the STP songs I still like I don't feel too strongly about.

There were no STP songs I enjoyed when I was young, not even Interstate Love Song.

As for RHCP, there are a few that I like, but only because they are so dumb (ie: I like Dirt, Get On Top, etc). Just really, really dumb lyrics.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

What do you mean? That can't compete with such lyrical masterpieces as:

When the dogs begin to smell her
Will she smell alone?

I am smelling like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday death bed.

I am I am I said
I'm not myself, but I'm not dead
and I'm not for sale
So keep your bankroll lottery
eat your salad day
deathbed motorcade

...Weiland had a good voice, and a fantastic stage presence. But he was definitely NOT an exceptional songwriter.

I'd put him in the same boat as Anthony Kedis. I liked STP a lot more than RHCP when I was younger, and I'm not a big fan of either today - but there are a few RHCP songs that I think to this day, are awesome (Breaking The Girl especially). Whereas the STP songs I still like I don't feel too strongly about.

some RHCP songs I can still enjoy, but only after not hearing them for like 10 years. I listened to Scar Tissue and Wet Sand the other day after not hearing them in forever, and I think they're both fine songs, if not for any reason other than Frusciante's guitar work. Keidis is exhausting and not my type of front man at all, but Frusciante was/is a very talented guitarist, and I think he has some very fine moments when he's given the spotlight

29 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

some RHCP songs I can still enjoy, but only after not hearing them for like 10 years. I listened to Scar Tissue and Wet Sand the other day after not hearing them in forever, and I think they're both fine songs, if not for any reason other than Frusciante's guitar work. Keidis is exhausting and not my type of front man at all, but Frusciante was/is a very talented guitarist, and I think he has some very fine moments when he's given the spotlight

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Frusciante and Flea managed to construct some complicated arrangements into great melodies. But the only songs that really resonate with me are the ones that Kedis didn't ruin. Breaking the Girl is the rare RHCP song where the singing and lyrics don't take anything away from the music.

A couple of songs that he almost ruined, but that I still enjoy are Soul to Squeeze, and Hard to Concentrate. The lyrics in the latter are some of the corniest ever penned, but the music behind them is phenomenal.

Just now, TOMapleLaughs said:

Frusciante is probably one of the most overrated guitarists ever, but saying that might get me shot.  He made it out of his drug funk and is lucky to be alive today though.  Yay him.

what makes you think he's overrated?

Just now, GLASSJAW said:

What are some examples of the opposite of this?

I can supply a list of commonly-known guitarists from the classic electric guitar heyday, or even some more experimental modern guitarists, but I don't think it's needed.  

Hey I don't mind JF at all, but imho the level of praise has transcended his ability and impact.  (Although that applies to a lot of current highly-praised guitarists)  He is however easily the best RHCP guitarist.  RHCP has become tired, or I have become tired of them, which happens with age.

30 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Overly simplistic and not that original.  Seems to get high praise though.  Too high in my view.  Same with Jack White and that pudwacker John Mayer.  

When people poo-poo Jack White I immediately get where they're coming from...

...and promptly realize I should not listen to their opinions on music :P

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

When people poo-poo Jack White I immediately get where they're coming from...

...and promptly realize I should not listen to their opinions on music :P

I understand the like for JW, JF and Mayer, well, not Mayer.  But not to the level of best evar status that they at times get in media, on forums, etc.  This is all I meant.  Not even on a long-range radar.

Yeah Jack White was listed top 20 in a 'top 100 guitarists of all time' list.  Hell no.  Hell effin no.  Not now, not ever.  Not even close.  It's like the same people that call Adele's new album GOAT, get real.

4 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I can supply a list of commonly-known guitarists from the classic electric guitar heyday, or even some more experimental modern guitarists, but I don't think it's needed.  

Hey I don't mind JF at all, but imho the level of praise has transcended his ability and impact.  (Although that applies to a lot of current highly-praised guitarists)  He is however easily the best RHCP guitarist.  RHCP has become tired, or I have become tired of them, which happens with age.

Of course it isn't needed, I'm just curious.

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Yeah Jack White was listed top 20 in a 'top 100 guitarists of all time' list.  Hell no.  Hell effin no.  Not now, not ever.  Not even close.  It's like the same people that call Adele's new album GOAT, get real.

God, I remember when Bush's 2nd album was the GOAT.  Bush...  lol.  And it wasn't even their best album.  Anyway, the GOAT albums should first have to stand the test of time.  Not saying GOAT, but doesn't Dark Side of the Moon still sell thousands of copies a day?  Woof.

I haven't listened to Adele's new album yet, just the single.  Inevitably i'll have it and listen the crap out of it, so not in a big rush.

I stopped listening to rhcp after mothers milk album which is a good album.....then they got boring....happened to soundgarden too...I mean badmotorfinger is a great album and then they just went radio and Chris Cornell has shamelessly exploited his own voice in band settings...although I heard him sing a song called the keeper on a Sirius xm edition and it was amazing.

jack white I'm indifferent to.

bush is just garbage.

jon Mayer?  Why are we talking about him?

15 minutes ago, J.R. said:

As did I...of course I did a LOT of drugs in the 90's :lol:

I really, REALLY appreciated Fear of a Black Planet while on drugs once.  Great album before drugs, but on drugs, seemed even more layered and intricate than it already was.  As for doing a crapload of drugs now, forget it.  Just destroys me.

3 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I really, REALLY appreciated Fear of a Black Planet while on drugs once.  Great album before drugs, but on drugs, seemed even more layered and intricate than it already was.  As for doing a crapload of drugs now, forget it.  Just destroys me.

I still have fear of a black planet on my iPhone regular rotation playlist.  

Although shut em down off of apocalypse 91 is one of my fav songs of all time rap or otherwise.

I freakin love(d) terminator X.  Dude is as boss as it gets for any frontman.

Archived