The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would the Canucks lose in an expansion draft?

smokes

With Los Vegas making plans on opening in the 2017 season,

naturally the expansion draft will soon happen. Who do you think would get plucked off our roster?

I'm thinking with the rookies that need to be protected and the Sedins not going anywhere

players like Higgins, Hansen, Burrows and Dorsett might be exposed.

26 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

players w ntc's or nmc's are required to be protected

Players with no trade contracts can't be traded but can be waived or exposed in an expansion draft.

Players with no move contracts can't be exposed, but the Canucks have only #'s 22 and 33 in that category.

Got this from Wikipedia from the 2000 expansion draft. 

26 of the 28 teams existing in the league at the time of the draft were each allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. The Atlanta Thrashers and Nashville Predators had their entire rosters protected, as they were the two newest franchises in the league, only being in existence for one and two years respectively.

For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected. For teams protecting two goaltenders, each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the 1999–2000 season or 25 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. A goaltender had to be in net for at least 31 minutes in each game for the game to be counted against these totals.

At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.

52 players were chosen in the draft, two from each participating franchise. Only one goaltender or one defenseman could be selected from each franchise. Both the Blue Jackets and the Wild were to use their first 24 selections on three goaltenders, eight defensemen, and thirteen forwards. The final two picks for each team could be any position.

8 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

How does the expansion draft work? How many players can be protected? 

I don't know exactly but I think it's along the lines of 11 forwards, 5 defensemen and 1 goalie. Something like that.

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Got this from Wikipedia from the 2000 expansion draft. 

either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. 

I would have to go with protecting 1 goaltender since Demko would not be eligible. If from our current line up though?

Protect:

Markstrom

F: Sedins, Horvat, MCann, Sutter, Hansen, Burrows, Virtanen, Dorsett

D: Hutton, Tanev, Edler, Sbisa, (can't think of anyone else I would protect,

Expansion draft might sort or be a blessing in disguise.  Teams can expose players with high salary-to-present-value ratios and expansion teams would probably be happy to select them for veteran leadership on a crappy team.  Canucks have a handful of players on contracts signed when they were adding more value than they are now, so they might be hurt less (relative to other teams) by an expansion draft.

8 hours ago, tyhee said:

Players with no trade contracts can't be traded but can be waived or exposed in an expansion draft.

Players with no move contracts can't be exposed, but the Canucks have only #'s 22 and 33 in that category.

Edler and Hansen have  NTC, so does Sutter for the first 2 years of his contract.

9 hours ago, smokes said:

With Los Vegas making plans on opening in the 2017 season,

naturally the expansion draft will soon happen. Who do you think would get plucked off our roster?

I'm thinking with the rookies that need to be protected and the Sedins not going anywhere

players like Higgins, Hansen, Burrows and Dorsett might be exposed.

At least Burrows and his NTC 4.5mil expire at the end of the 2016-2017 season

My guess is that Higgins won't be on the team by that time.

If Benning's smart, he'll likely protect our young guns before our vets and I wouldn't be surprised if players like Edler (in his 30's at the time) and Burrows/Hansen are exposed.

Archived