The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can We Please Have a Statement About What This Team as Presently Constructed is About

coastal.view

This team is on the path to get high draft picks (top 5) for the next cpl of years and re build thru the draft. The team will be supplemented via FA signings and trades. The core of the team and the top players will be acquired via the draft. We already have Horvat, McCann, Virt and Hutton who look to be real good players in a few years. We need to continue to draft and develop well.    

It's growing pains. The Canucks have been good for so long, but in the process, Gillis mortgaged the entire farm team to keep us good, and we ended up with ageing vets and no youth. Now, Benning is stuck with the task of refilling our prospects cupboard, which I think he's done a great job doing. Unfortunately, it means this year is the first year of transitioning youth onto the team, which means we're not going to do well. McCann, Markstrom, Virtanen, Hutton, even Horvat are on the team, but still need awhile before they can start becoming those elite players we need right now. This year, and maybe next are going to be rough, but that's okay, it's what I was expecting. Let the kids develop. 

On 04/12/2015, 17:12:45, Tragoedia said:

I find it funny how 3/4 posters on here was clamouring about getting more rookies and young guns on the team as if that was the strategy for winning (this season). This is the wakeup call for what it actually looks like. This is the growing pains and struggles.

This, a lot of us fans are getting a wake up call on what it's like to have rookies in the lineup. Turns out its not the funnest to watch. 

well i think the team needs its fan base

i think the fan base deserves a message about the product

if this is not a rebuild year, then it is turning into a disaster

the team does not have to tell us anything

we don't have to support the team

all i'm saying is that it is a give and take relationship

On 12/4/2015, 12:50:33, JAY JAY said:

What is the THE PRESENT MISSION STATEMENT of the CDC as fans of the team,
as currently constructed/posted (cuz i am confused)? <_<

create a thread if that really interests you

it does not interest me

and you have added nothing of value to this thread

The Canucks mission has not changed (I'm repeating what somebody else already said).  That's big picture stuff and doesn't change.  That's what Linden and Aquilini figured out.  Then they looked for a guy to carry it out.  Enter Jim Benning.

FA wants a cup.  Linden thinks the best way to win a cup is to do it the old fashioned way.  Draft and Develop.

Linden went out to find a like minded GM who knows how to do it.  Linden and Benning put their heads together and concluded that the Detroit model was the best way to do it because developing is at least as important as drafting.  Probably more so.  What they are doing is finding the staff and creating the structure from the top of the Canucks to the bottom of the Comets that will develop players in the best possible way.

Without going on and on about it,  a lousy month or two is meaningless with respect to the big picture team goals.  What is really important is that the Canucks have stable management.  For the plan to really pay off to the degree that it has in Detroit it is going to take 7 years.

Now before people start setting their hair on fire, I don't mean that it will necessarily take 7 years to see success.  That's how long it will take for the development system to renew itself.  Incidentally, I think that we are 3 years along already.  Horvat is at the leading edge.

Why does there have be be a statement for the team. Do you you expect the team to hold a press conference and state "Yes, we are tanking this year." or "We are not expecting to make the playoffs this year, but come and watch our games anyways" Seriously, no history in any sport has done that and we the only fans expecting our team to do it. Heck, let's expect the Canucks to put a webcam in their dressing rooms because "WE DESERVE IT!."

12 hours ago, coastal.view said:

well i think the team needs its fan base

i think the fan base deserves a message about the product

if this is not a rebuild year, then it is turning into a disaster

the team does not have to tell us anything

we don't have to support the team

all i'm saying is that it is a give and take relationship

Three rookies on the team last year and three more rookies on the roster this year. Two more added via trade and one though free agency. That doesn't sound like rebuilding to you?

They said "rebuild on the fly" and that's exactly what they've been doing. Do you need that message every week to get it?

On 04/12/2015, 03:14:14, Barry_Wilkins said:

The so-called mission statement is unchanged. Win now, but don't trade away youth and picks. If the playoffs are all but impossible in Feb, trade Hamhuis, Vrbata and Higgins, maybe even Burrows, for more picks and youth.

But you can bet Aquilini wants the playoff gate. He didn't take kindly to our only two playoff misses in his tenure. (GMs fired).

Yeah, put the money where it matters...defence (once the big contracts run out)...see New York Islanders as an example how they turned it around by adding two really good D-men...now Hamonic is expendable.

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

Three rookies on the team last year and three more rookies on the roster this year. Two more added via trade and one though free agency. That doesn't sound like rebuilding to you?

They said "rebuild on the fly" and that's exactly what they've been doing. Do you need that message every week to get it?

well i have never seen anyone in management use the term rebuild on the fly

that is news to me

the term rebuild has not been used .. but i agree it is clear that is what is going on

the team was very clear and consistent in its messaging last year, it is not clear this year, which leaves the impression they do not want to say what is going on

if the team chooses to be less than honest with the fans in order to sell tickets. .that is its perogative

if fans think that is ok, just part of the business of sports, that is up to them to accept

i found the whole approach last year more honest and healthier, but i might just expect too much

it's kind of what i expect from any service i pay for, an upfront explanation of what i am paying for

and i try to deliver the same clear message to anyone who is paying me

so if this is a rebuilt . then let's discuss what that all entails

i think if it is a rebuild then it is time to cash in more assets and go about the rebuild with a less half-hearted approach .. as i think the fans will support an aggressive rebuild

if this does not happen, the rebuild process will likely be prolonged and likely will be a less thorough job

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎6‎:‎52‎:‎01‎, Pete M said:

Yeah, put the money where it matters...defence (once the big contracts run out)...see New York Islanders as an example how they turned it around by adding two really good D-men...now Hamonic is expendable.

He's not.  Hamonic wants to move for family reasons because there are no direct flights between New York and Winnipeg.  Snow wants a top pairing D in return.  Depending on who the top pairing D is, he will want an asset or two in addition to that.

On 2015-12-04, 12:46:12, Virtanen#18 said:

Transition works in both ways. We've seen the successful model of Dallas Stars who for a period of time sucked crap. Then, there's the perennial rebuilding team like the Oilers... despite having stockpiled so many first rounders. 

Can you confidently say the Canucks are not heading in the latter direction?

Considering we are technically in our first year of our transition...so yes i think we are confident, as of right now, we are not heading down the Oilers path.

12 hours ago, coastal.view said:

well i have never seen anyone in management use the term rebuild on the fly

that is news to me

the term rebuild has not been used .. but i agree it is clear that is what is going on

the team was very clear and consistent in its messaging last year, it is not clear this year, which leaves the impression they do not want to say what is going on

if the team chooses to be less than honest with the fans in order to sell tickets. .that is its perogative

if fans think that is ok, just part of the business of sports, that is up to them to accept

i found the whole approach last year more honest and healthier, but i might just expect too much

it's kind of what i expect from any service i pay for, an upfront explanation of what i am paying for

and i try to deliver the same clear message to anyone who is paying me

so if this is a rebuilt . then let's discuss what that all entails

i think if it is a rebuild then it is time to cash in more assets and go about the rebuild with a less half-hearted approach .. as i think the fans will support an aggressive rebuild

if this does not happen, the rebuild process will likely be prolonged and likely will be a less thorough job

They have explained it several times:

- Rebuild on the fly

- Insert youth

- Remain competitive

- Youth learn from veterans in a winning atmosphere

- Contend for a playoff spot

Where have you been?

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎47‎:‎09‎, coastal.view said:

it was pretty clear last year, as it was repeated often, that the team was going to reload or some other "re" word that was not rebuild

the team was going to stay competitive, so that the youth could learn and develop in a winning environment

a small number of youth were used, and the team made the playoffs, so at least for the regular season, 2014/15 was mission accomplished

so what now ?  as best as i can recall this year was to inject youth and maintain that delicate balance between youth and experience, so as to maintain a winning environment, so that the youth could learn and develop in a winning environment, and more youth was added to the line up.

seems the necessary youth/experience balance has been lost, and there is now not enough experience on this team, and the team has lost many close games earlier in the season, but managed to stay in the hunt (due solely to massive reliance on the loser point), and now it is just mostly losing

the team has played 27 games now, has won 9, and has not won 18, so it really is a .333 team (good thing the loser point hides this)

what is the THE PRESENT MISSION STATEMENT of this team as currently constructed (cuz i can no longer see one)?

JSS

On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎04‎ ‎5‎:‎07‎:‎37‎, MJDDawg said:

T-R-A-N-S-I-T-I-O-N. 

It's as if many on CDC have been nodding in agreement whenever this or the "rebuild" word have been used, yet it seems like only now is the reality of what these mean hitting them.

We've had a really enjoyable 10-year run as being a very competitive team that not a lot of NHL teams get to enjoy. Yet all good things come to an end. MG left a gaping hole in our pipeline of prospects and JB is now left to try to fix it to get us back to where we were, hopefully without taking shortcuts. 

There's no sugar coating it folks, this team will be mediocre for the next couple of years at least, depending on what happens with trades and free agency.

In the meantime, I'm still going to support our team and watch every game and just enjoy the slow climb back to the top.

Yup.  It's because 90% of CDC is totally delusional.  They thought that we could rebuild while staying a good team.  Bring up rookies in a winning environment.  Well in order to do that, you need to have both a winning environment and great rookies.  We have neither. 

I disagree with you that MG left a gaping hole in our prospect pool.  He got Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Subban, Gaunce, Hutton (5th round!) Jensen, Corrado, Kassian.  Got all these young guys with low picks while building the best team Vancouver has ever seen.  Also brought in quality players like Ehrhoff, Samuelsson, Hamhuis, Tanev, Lack, Sundin. 

On 07/12/2015, 06:29:06, Baggins said:

When is a team NOT making roster changes in a year? If we are rebuilding then why do we still have our core players and a veteran goalie? The only change we have had recently is that we have inserted rookies into the line up instead of a free agent or traded player. A team would not be very interesting if they were not constantly trying to improve. I think we have made some trades and added a few free agents recently so a rebuild does not appear to be happening.

Archived