The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Malkin/Staal brothers swap?

1 minute ago, Sedin Brothers said:

Eric is supremely underrated these days. Sure fire HOF player too. Has the triple crown.. no-one who has that hasn't made the Hall

His trade value has gone down since even a year ago though. While he used to be one of the best, he's on pace this year for the lowest point total he has ever had in his career. Add to that last year's lack of success and GMs are likely to be question whether he's worth his cap hit or not.

That's the issue with Staal at the moment. If he's underrated, he's going to need to prove it.

47 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Hard to say actually; however, unlikely.. It wouldn't be the first time a superstar's gone to a team lower in rankings though (*cough* Gretzky leaving the Oilers *cough*)

cough Janet cough L.A. cough Hollywood cough California cough cough cough??:ph34r: cough cough......

37 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It's an interesting thought. At the very least, it's more feasible for Pittsburgh than getting the Staal brothers. Crosby and Weber on the same team would be something fierce.

The biggest question however: would the players waive their clauses? ;)

No way. Plus does Nashville really want another moody Rusky? The last one Radulov was furstrating enough I think.

Russians out of all the Europeans go where other Russians are so they can be comfortable usually

Exceptions to this might be Nichuskin and Tarasenko but even Valeri had Gonchar early on as another Russian to relate with..

35 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

cough Janet cough L.A. cough Hollywood cough California cough cough cough??:ph34r: cough cough......

Completely out of context. I'm just saying that it has happened before and giving an example. Unless if you're a mind reader, it's kind of hard to know what would be on Malkin's mind now wouldn't it?

I also said that it would be unlikely for Malkin, but it's still possible. So, unless if you are that mind reader and know exactly what Malkin wants, anything you say about it is going to be a theory and nothing more.

EDIT: In fact, this whole thread is just theories, which makes me kind of laugh and sigh at the absolute statements people make at times.

31 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Completely out of context. I'm just saying that it has happened before and giving an example. Unless if you're a mind reader, it's kind of hard to know what would be on Malkin's mind now wouldn't it?

I also said that it would be unlikely for Malkin, but it's still possible. So, unless if you are that mind reader and know exactly what Malkin wants, anything you say about it is going to be a theory and nothing more.

EDIT: In fact, this whole thread is just theories, which makes me kind of laugh and sigh at the absolute statements people make at times.

Don't need to be a mind reader to know a superstar Russian player with NMC will not waive to Carolina the city or Carolina the team. Only an idiot  would believe Malkin would waive to go to the WORST team in the NHL standings. What's the point of having a NMC then? 

Your example of Gretzky moving form Edmonton to LA makes no sense. Almost anyone would make that trade and Gretzky did it to go to the city more than the team. His wife was an actress and who wouldn't have LA at the top of their wishlist? If you can show that Gretzky moved from LA to Edmonton while Edmonton being the worst team, that would work towards proving your point.

When Malkin signed his extension, word from his dad in a Russian news paper was that only other choices were Montreal or New York. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Don't need to be a mind reader to know a superstar Russian player with NMC will not waive to Carolina the city or Carolina the team. Only an idiot would believe Malkin would waive to go to the WORST team in the NHL standings. What's the point of having a NMC then? 

Your example of Gretzky moving form Edmonton to LA makes no sense. Almost anyone would make that trade and Gretzky did it to go to the city not the team. His wife was an actress and who wouldn't have LA at the top of their wishlist? If you can show that Gretzky moved from LA to Edmonton while Edmonton being the worst team, that would work towards proving your point.

When Malkin signed his extension, word from his dad in a Russian news paper was that only other choices were Montreal or New York. 

Must be great living on a perch being able to call everyone around you idiots who don't agree with you huh? Calling people idiots doesn't make one sound more intelligent, just saying....

Anyway, Malkin's contract extension was 2 years ago. Things can change in 2 years. You don't know the guy or what he's thinking. Simply stating that "you don't need to be a mind reader" doesn't exactly shut down an argument (let alone, calling whoever disagrees an idiot after)

Just now, The Lock said:

Must be great living on a perch being able to call everyone around you idiots who don't agree with you huh? Calling people idiots doesn't make one sound more intelligent, just saying....

Anyway, Malkin's contract extension was 2 years ago. Things can change in 2 years. You don't know the guy or what he's thinking. Simply stating that "you don't need to be a mind reader" doesn't exactly shut down an argument (let alone, calling whoever disagrees an idiot after)

Note to self, don't give any weight to The Locks's posts. 

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You don't have to. I don't even care if you do or don't. I've obviously made my point if you feel the need to troll like that.

Common sense has a place in any discussion. In order to be on these boards you obviously have some hockey knowledge and be a follower of the league. Tell me the last time a superstar with NMC waived to go to a similar, small market city like Carolina that was last in the NHL standings. Name one star player. 

You mentioned Gretzky earlier, Who in their right mind wouldn't waive to go to LA from Edmonton? Gretzky's wife lived in LA as she was an actress, I remember that trade very well and I assure you  Malkin waiving his NMC to go to Carolina would have absolutely ZERO similarities with Gretzky initiating his trade from Edmonton to move to LA.  

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Common sense has a place in any discussion. In order to be on these boards you obviously have some hockey knowledge and be a follower of the league. Tell me the last time a superstar with NMC waived to go to a similar, small market city like Carolina that was last in the NHL standings. Name one star player. 

You gave me Gretzky, Who in their right mind wouldn't waive to go to LA from Edmonton?

There is a quote out there: "There is nothing more uncommon than common sense." Common sense is merely a misconception people have for thinking other people should be thinking the same stuff they are thinking. There are all kinds of people and opinions; therefore, common sense doesn't even exist.

Anyway, to answer your question regarding who would want to move from LA to Edmonton, I could probably do some research and find out, but I can tell you one person who's currently looking to move to Edmonton or nearby from the New York Islanders. He also has a no trade-clause. (I'm sure you can figure out who in the other threads). We also see some players actually wanting to go to a Canadian market through signings. So to say they wouldn't want to move to Edmonton period, while it might refer to some players, it's not going to refer to all players.

As far as superstars waiving their no trade clause (I don't think it really matters in this case between NMC and NTC), The last one I can think of was Tanguay to Calgary from Colorado, albeit, both teams weren't particularly good. I'm sure there are other cases out there though, perhaps not with superstars like Malkin, but really, what's the difference between a superstar moving his NMC and another players with a NTC clause lifting to go to a smaller market? Every player's going to have different reasons for why they would do it.

Look, all I'm saying is never say never. Calling people "idiots" for thinking something that will never be concrete doesn't make a case in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

There is a quote out there: "There is nothing more uncommon than common sense." Common sense is merely a misconception people have for thinking other people should be thinking the same stuff they are thinking. There are all kinds of people and opinions; therefore, common sense doesn't even exist.

Anyway, to answer your question regarding who would want to move from LA to Edmonton, I could probably do some research and find out, but I can tell you one person who's currently looking to move to Edmonton or nearby from the New York Islanders. He also has a no trade-clause. We also see some players actually wanting to go to a Canadian market through signings. So to say they wouldn't want to move to Edmonton period, while it might refer to some players, it's not going to refer to all players.

As far as superstars waiving their no trade clause (I don't think it really matters in this case between NMC and NTC), The last one I can think of was Tanguay to Calgary from Colorado, albeit, both teams weren't particularly good. I'm sure there are other cases out there though, perhaps not with superstars like Malkin, but really, what's the difference between a superstar moving his NMC and another players with a NTC clause lifting to go to a smaller market? Every player's going to have different reasons for why they would do it.

Look, all I'm saying is never say never. Calling people "idiots" for thinking something that will never be concrete doesn't make a case in my opinion.

Gaborik waived for the blue jackets.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Yup, it's just this Stan guy speculating what he could see happening in a trade versus a report that any of this is out in the market.

That's the funny thing about this thread. It's just like someone on CDC posting a trade proposal, except it's a news article. lol

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Yup, it's just this Stan guy speculating what he could see happening in a trade versus a report that any of this is out in the market.

I actually think its a silly article that really makes no sense. J. Staal is better positioned at centre but would be far to expensive as a 3rd line centre in Pittsburgh if both him and his brother were traded together to the pens.

Jordan Staal was traded to Carolina from Pittsburgh because he was to expensive as a 3rd line centre. I can't imagine why Pittsburgh would want that mess again.

Archived