The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ask JohnLocke Anything

JohnLocke

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why did you choose a 17 century English republican for your CDC name?

I enjoy the John Locke's philosophical stances. 

14 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

How do do the Eagles become a contender in this off-season?

Don't suck. 

• 4 months later...

how to get into med school

if you were able to rewrite your essay concerning human understanding, is there anything you would change today in light of the past few centuries of expanded philosophical thinking? what would be your response to Kant?

1 hour ago, One one two said:

how to get into med school

if you were able to rewrite your essay concerning human understanding, is there anything you would change today in light of the past few centuries of expanded philosophical thinking? what would be your response to Kant?

Getting into med school takes a combination of smarts, work ethic, and luck. If you lack in one category, you will have to make up in another category. For me, I was always decently smart (not a genius, by any standards), but my work ethic was crap. In high school I was a high 70s, low 80s kind of guy, but I decided I needed to up my work ethic in college. I still procrastinated a lot and goofed off, but I definitely tried a lot harder in college and it payed off. I managed to get a 3.97 GPA for my 2 years in college. 

It sucks that med school requires you to have such high marks. The people with the best marks aren't always going to be the best doctors. I know a lot of people in my class that are incredibly smart, but I sometimes look at them and think, you're gonna be a pretty crappy doctor. 

The luck aspect definitely payed off for me. Getting accepted into med school after 2 years, statistically, is like a minuscule percentage of occurrence. The UofA accepts around 160 kids every year out of around 1600 applicants. 25 of the people accepted are 2nd or 3rd years (people who haven't finished their undergrad). Of these 25, maybe 2-5 are 2nd years. But for me, I wouldn't actually call it luck. I consider myself a pretty religious guy, so I definitely think that God was at work here. I prayed hard and He helped me through this journey so I really gotta owe it all up to Him. 

As for the essay part, I never wrote an essay about human understanding. Unlike Mr. John Locke (the guy not from lost), I'm not very good with philosophy, so I can't really answer this question. 

what kind of music do you like?

A lot of different genres. If someone found my phone and looked through my music, they'd think I'm crazy.

I started out listening to screamo/emo/metalcore in junior high - high school. Bullet for my valentine was one of my first favourite bands. Then I transitioned to other metalcore/post-hardcore bands such as Silverstein, The Devil Wears Prada, Asking Alexandria, As I lay dying, etc. 

Then I went through a pop-punk phase, where I listened to a lot of bands such as All Time Low, Simple plan, Blink 182, Fall out boy. 

Then I went through a pop phase. I'm a huge Swifty (T Swift for life!) and I'm a big fan of One Direction and Justin Bieber. I still listen to a lot of pop music. 

During that time, I also went through other phases such as hipster phase (random indie songs), and a classical music phase (I played piano for 7 years of my life). 

I also really like hip hop. Drake is my fave. Also love me some Kendrick, Eminem, and Jay Z. 

Recently, I've been getting a lot into country music. Growing up in "rural" Alberta, I couldn't deny my country roots ;) I'm so in love with country right now. Recently downloaded a bunch of songs from Thomas Rhett, Luke Bryan, Dierks Bentley, Dean Brody, etc.

If you had to make me choose, my favourite band is Silverstein and my favourite solo artist is Taylor Swift

All of the music above are on my phone/laptop, and I shuffle my music all the time. So I'm always entertained when the genres change abruptly from classical to screamo to rap to country to J Beebz 
Bottom line is I love music. I play piano, drums, and guitar and can't live without music. 

And you said you're not a fan of Shakespeare. Who are you a fan of in terms of writers, English or otherwise?

TBH, not a very big English guy. I used to read a lot, but not so much anymore. I used to be a pretty big Harry Potter nerd. 

I can't honestly recall the last book I've read.. which is kind of sad. Maybe I need to read more. 

9 minutes ago, One one two said:

Life is hard. Why can't I just live in abstractions?

Life IS hard. It sucks and there's not a easy way around it. Sometimes it might feel easier to just escape through some other medium... but we all have to face it. 

Keep looking ahead. Know that although things might not be good right now, you're working towards something better.

One day you're gonna look back and see how you battled through adversity and how it made you in the person you are. When that day comes, you'll understand why things happen they way they do. Everything does indeed  happen for a reason. No matter how bleak things may be, don't ever give up hope. That's the important thing. 

On 5/8/2016 at 9:04 AM, thejazz97 said:

What are your beliefs on anything and everything?

Anything - Anything can happen to you; there's no point in worrying about things you can't control i.e. you might get cancer or your plane may crash, etc. 

Everything - Everything happens for a reason even if you don't know what the reason is at the moment

17 hours ago, brilac said:

Do you like cats or dogs?

Both... but if I had to pick, then Dogs

12 minutes ago, JAY JAY said:

I have 3+ questions.

1- What is it about mafia that you enjoy?

2- What is your fav mafia role and why?

3- How do you feel about 112 having more responses to her thread than you have to yours?

1. The people <3 

2. SK because I work better alone and I get to kill people off without consequence 

3. Super jelly. 112 is the popular kid in school and I'm the guy with no friends 

Archived