The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) if lucic becomes available at the deadline should the Canucks deal for him?

Geez would you stop it with this crap about Lucic. The guy is has a border-line attitude and can't be good in the room. His hockey skills seem to be diminishing and his value is over-priced. 

It's fine to go after local boys but the team would be foolish to make a hometown in B.C. the first priority for drafting or obtaining players.

48 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Geez would you stop it with this crap about Lucic. The guy is has a border-line attitude and can't be good in the room. His hockey skills seem to be diminishing and his value is over-priced. 

It's fine to go after local boys but the team would be foolish to make a hometown in B.C. the first priority for drafting or obtaining players.

You're partly correct.  We should not trade for Lucic.  Signing him should be a priority though.  We clearly need his presence.

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

He's on pace for 30 goals, that doesn't scream diminishing to me. 

It screams overpriced contract.

23 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Nope. Sign him for free in the summer and trade vrbata for a pick.

hey dont get me wrong im all for seling off the assets for picks/prospects but benning said he still wants to make the playoffs and wants to add a scorer. although i disagree with him on that one and he should just let the ship sink for the high pick, but its his ship and if he wants to add than why not make it lucic. i mean like whats the price for other top 6 forwards around the league? 

23 hours ago, coastal1 said:

oh yes, Lucic makes this team a cup contender. that's obvious, the Canucks are clearly only one player away.

every one of the 16 teams is "contending for a cup" that doesnt make them "cup contenders"

19 hours ago, linden17 said:

why? Why would the Canucks of all teams who are in no way considered a contender trade anything for a player who is a free agent. makes zero sense. this is absolute garbage and makes me angry that you would even bring this up. seriously.

have you been listening to what benning has been saying?! he wants to add a player and make the playoffs. I'M SPECULATING that lucic wants to sign here so like what happened with bieksa with anaheim we negotiate with lucic before he is dealt so we know what were getting ourselves in to and if he wants reasonable amount of money and has all intentions of re-signing here than why not? im just going with what benning has been saying so why not make it an impact player who we know covers a lot of areas of need and wants to play here. like in the rough proposal i gave, what are we really giving up? a pending ufa who isnt playing very well, a young player who will probably never play another game with the canucks and a conditional 2nd pick... its not much considering what other top 6 forwards would fetch. 

let me note, i wouldnt give up anymore than that for him. if the price is cheap than make the deal but i would just wait if they want a 1st pick or anything of considerable value.

Wait until free agency and sign him.

He is one type of player that the Canucks sorely need. A massive, tough skilled winger who scores goals and loves the post season.

Anyone who thinks that Lucic isn't good enough for the Canucks needs a reality check. This team is deflated and divided. Henrik looked pissed after Boston and pretty much stated that the team wasn't good enough.

The moment Kopitar signs his next contract, will be the moment Lucic is bound for free agency. The idea that Lombardi is going to trade Jeff Carter is ridiculous. He's a proven playoff performer and Olympian.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wait until free agency and sign him.

He is one type of player that the Canucks sorely need. A massive, tough skilled winger who scores goals and loves the post season.

Anyone who thinks that Lucic isn't good enough for the Canucks needs a reality check. This team is deflated and divided. Henrik looked pissed after Boston and pretty much stated that the team wasn't good enough.

The moment Kopitar signs his next contract, will be the moment Lucic is bound for free agency. The idea that Lombardi is going to trade Jeff Carter is ridiculous. He's a proven playoff performer and Olympian.

No.  In order what this team needs is a PMD RHD, a crease clearing RHD a complimentary LHD, a RW that can actually score goals and a solid top 6 LW.

Looch isn't actually in the equation for essential pieces we need but would be nice.  Only IF the price is right, at Millers current cap hit no more because more means less overall for this team when we really need all of that

Just now, Warhippy said:

No.  In order what this team needs is a PMD RHD, a crease clearing RHD a complimentary LHD, a RW that can actually score goals and a solid top 6 LW.

Looch isn't actually in the equation for essential pieces we need but would be nice.  Only IF the price is right, at Millers current cap hit no more because more means less overall for this team when we really need all of that

Yes he is. Period.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes he is. Period.

OK.  So we trade for looch.  The cost is a roster player a pick and a prospect.  who do we lose?

Alternatively we pay him his $6+ million in the off season, we're still a cap team.  Who can we sign when we need all of that?

Or we've signed him.  Weber still sits in our top 4.  How has this team improved?

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

OK.  So we trade for looch.  The cost is a roster player a pick and a prospect.  who do we lose?

Alternatively we pay him his $6+ million in the off season, we're still a cap team.  Who can we sign when we need all of that?

Or we've signed him.  Weber still sits in our top 4.  How has this team improved?

Where did I say that we trade for him? That's ridiculous. Sign him as a free agent, if he makes it there. Anything else is uncivilized.

Weber has to be gone at the trade deadline and replaced by Biega, Pedan, an old shoe, or anything with a pulse really.

And if Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Burrows, Weber, Prust, and Edler come of the books, that's over $20 M in cap space. Enough to sign Lucic, and a top 4 defenseman. Tanev and Hutton are future top 4 defenseman, however they aren't very physical.

I hate to say it Warhippy, but every time I respond to one of your posts, I am always tempted to end it with a lol. I never will as I despise the term, but your reaction to a lol infused post before was priceless.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Where did I say that we trade for him? That's ridiculous. Sign him as a free agent, if he makes it there. Anything else is uncivilized.

I hate to say it Warhippy, but every time I respond to one of your posts, I am always tempted to end it with a lol. I never will as I despise the term, but your reaction to a lol infused post before was priceless.

I gave you two different scenarios in how we'd obtain him and three issues surrounding them.  You somehow take offense to that.

Lucic does nothing for us we need that we cannot draft for his cost.  He does not help our defense solve our PP issues or generate offense on his own.  He will cost above $6 million and we will still have the same issues we have right now as I right this.

You can end whatever you want with a lol, but if you're not going to read and evaluate the whole comment before responding you won't be the only one laughing.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I gave you two different scenarios in how we'd obtain him and three issues surrounding them.  You somehow take offense to that.

Lucic does nothing for us we need that we cannot draft for his cost.  He does not help our defense solve our PP issues or generate offense on his own.  He will cost above $6 million and we will still have the same issues we have right now as I right this.

You can end whatever you want with a lol, but if you're not going to read and evaluate the whole comment before responding you won't be the only one laughing.

Oh my! Why so serious, pal?

You really need to calm down and not take offense so quickly. I wasn't angry at anything you said.

You might also want to come to the realization that not everyone on this site will respond to your posts exactly how you want them too either. And as far as "taking issue" with not evaluating the "entire post" before responding, I love how you omitted a whole portion of my post in your response.

Calm down, pal. It's just hockey.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oh my! Why so serious, pal?

You really need to calm down and not take offense so quickly. I wasn't angry at anything you said.

You might also want to come to the realization that not everyone on this site will respond to your posts exactly how you want them too either. And as far as "taking issue" with not evaluating the "entire post" before responding, I love how you omitted a whole portion of my post in your response.

Calm down, pal. It's just hockey.

Are...we reading different comments?  You came off as short.  I don't expect anyone to agree with me.  But you cannot address any of the serious issues this team has by adding lucic period.  I omitted nothing either I responded to the important stuff not the fluff.

Again, I will state my opinion and state it very clearly.  Lucic does nothing to help this team where it needs.  Whether we trade for him and gut our depth, sign him which guts our cap space.  We still have glaring issues generating offense, working a Power Play and a woeful blue line not to mention the lack of quality wingers in the top 6.  Lucic addresses only 1 of those issues at a large cap hit if he gets close to what people expect him too.  If we were trending upwards he'd be great.  

But we're not.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Are...we reading different comments?  You came off as short. 

Because I said that's ridiculous? Not you're ridiculous, but that's ridiculous.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me.  But you cannot address any of the serious issues this team has by adding lucic period.  I omitted nothing either I responded to the important stuff not the fluff.

Fluff? You're breaking my heart.

Again, I will state my opinion and state it very clearly.  Lucic does nothing to help this team where it needs.  Whether we trade for him and gut our depth,

Trading for him would be asinine as he is, most likely available on July 1st.

sign him which guts our cap space.

It only guts the cap space if Benning doesn't clean house, which I believe he will. As mentioned before, trading Higgins, Vrbata, Burrows, Hamhuis, Weber, Prust, and Edler will open up over $20 M in cap space. Lucic would only be $6 M of that. Leaving $14 M to accommodate one or two defenseman who would be good additions to the blue line. PMD would be Yandle, and crease clearer...Luke Schenn.

We still have glaring issues generating offense, working a Power Play and a woeful blue line not to mention the lack of quality wingers in the top 6.  Lucic addresses only 1 of those issues at a large cap hit if he gets close to what people expect him too.  If we were trending upwards he'd be great.  

But we're not.

Some of the aforementioned issues will need to be solved by rookies versus through a signing or a trade

PMD - Trade

Crease clearing psychopath - Trade or sign, or Pedan

Top six winger - Lucic, rookie (Shinkaruk, Baerts....hahhahahhahahaha

PP - Is this really solved through player acquisition, or is this an issue that centres more so around the coaching staff not finding the right mix? 

What would your offseason plan be? Who would you go after?

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Some of the aforementioned issues will need to be solved by rookies versus through a signing or a trade

PMD - Trade

Crease clearing psychopath - Trade or sign, or Pedan

Top six winger - Lucic, rookie (Shinkaruk, Baerts....hahhahahhahahaha

PP - Is this really solved through player acquisition, or is this an issue that centres more so around the coaching staff not finding the right mix? 

What would your offseason plan be? Who would you go after?

Honestly man?  I wouldn't really go after anyone.  I haven't looked at the upcoming free agency lists.  I have no desire too.

My strong desire right now and right now only is this year to see us ship out a few vets, Higgins, Burrows, Hammer, Vrbata.  Lose Weber, resign Bartkowski to a single year and shore up that bottom 4 D spot.

Save the cap space for a smart signing or to do a team a favour by eating a 1 year bad contract.

Because I am in this for the long haul.  Lucic does little for us.  nice addition but unless he's available for $6.25 million or less he's too pricey to be viable the way he plays.  By the time we're ready to complete again the Twins will be pushing 40 he'll be trending downwards.  That's how I see it.

I think we're best served with next year stop gapping the 2 positions we need.  Drafting heavy this year and next and competing the following.  We might be better than we are right now at this time next year but without shipping off dead weight I don't see it.  We have the depth right now to bring in Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Grenier, Biega, Pedan.  But then we have no more AHL depth.  This rebuild will take more than a single off season or one draft.

In the last 3 years we've gotten lucky with 5 picks in the first round.  A couple of flyers in Subban and Cassels who look exceptional.  Fox and Valk might work out yet, the very left field chance at bringing Rodin back.  But we need to stock up for the next decade now.  Lucic I just don't see having a place on a team with this in mind.

So my off season...would be minimal and mostly based on AHL improvement after gutting their depth bringing bodies in to the NHL.  And that's my opinion and take on things as it stands

On December 5, 2015 at 14:58:37, billabong said:

Now this pure speculating, but I'm guessing since the Kings spent a lot to get him they won't want to see him walk for nothing. if lucic makes it clear to the Kings he has no intention of re-signing with them and his first priority is to sign with the Canucks, should the Canucks jump the gun a bit to help us make the playoffs and support the sedins?

Now I'm assuming most teams won't really be interested in him if they know he is purely a rental and the price will be a roster player to be a kind of a lateral move for the Kings so they don't feel a loss because they're still a cup contender. For the other teams sake, Those moves are very uncommon for teams gearing up for a long playoff run 

Also how much would you spend? If at all

to van: lucic

to la: vrbata, Jensen, conditional 2nd pick(if the Canucks make it to the 2nd round or west finals) 

Swapping top 6 forwards who are pending UFA's (plus another moderate asset or two) might be a fair move for a team with very little leverage 

Sedin-sedin-hansen

lucic-sutter-virtanen

baerschi-horvat-burrows

prust-McCann-dorsett

if the sedins keep giving it 100% every night than the Canucks have to respect their franchise players for the last 10 years and give them a chance at the cup

Love the idea of having Lucic and, without arrogance, perhaps it is already in the plans. Therefore, I would not trade for him at the deadline.

Vrbata can get a 1st rounder at least, maybe along with a top Benning prospect depending on how Vrbata fairs by the trade deadline.

But for sure sign Lucic in the summer.

Ideally, Vancouver walk into the draft with three 1st rounders; their own, one from a Vrbata trade and another from a Hamhuis trade.

If Benning wants to push hard, somewhere in Burrows, Hansen, Jensen and others, there's another 1st rounder.

On 07/12/2015, 10:53:18, Warhippy said:

Honestly man?  I wouldn't really go after anyone.  I haven't looked at the upcoming free agency lists.  I have no desire too.

My strong desire right now and right now only is this year to see us ship out a few vets, Higgins, Burrows, Hammer, Vrbata.  Lose Weber, resign Bartkowski to a single year and shore up that bottom 4 D spot.

Save the cap space for a smart signing or to do a team a favour by eating a 1 year bad contract.

Because I am in this for the long haul.  Lucic does little for us.  nice addition but unless he's available for $6.25 million or less he's too pricey to be viable the way he plays.  By the time we're ready to complete again the Twins will be pushing 40 he'll be trending downwards.  That's how I see it.

I think we're best served with next year stop gapping the 2 positions we need.  Drafting heavy this year and next and competing the following.  We might be better than we are right now at this time next year but without shipping off dead weight I don't see it.  We have the depth right now to bring in Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Grenier, Biega, Pedan.  But then we have no more AHL depth.  This rebuild will take more than a single off season or one draft.

In the last 3 years we've gotten lucky with 5 picks in the first round.  A couple of flyers in Subban and Cassels who look exceptional.  Fox and Valk might work out yet, the very left field chance at bringing Rodin back.  But we need to stock up for the next decade now.  Lucic I just don't see having a place on a team with this in mind.

So my off season...would be minimal and mostly based on AHL improvement after gutting their depth bringing bodies in to the NHL.  And that's my opinion and take on things as it stands

Your idea seems very one dimensional. Why put all your eggs in one basket? At the trade deadline, sometimes teams get desperate and make deals they normally wouldn't. Like give away draft picks if they think they can go all the way. Then you have those that just want to dump salary and basically just give their players away. To sit there and do nothing sounds very counterproductive."Stock up for the next decade"? Wow that sounds like fun.

Archived