The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) if lucic becomes available at the deadline should the Canucks deal for him?

5 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Your idea seems very one dimensional. Why put all your eggs in one basket? At the trade deadline, sometimes teams get desperate and make deals they normally wouldn't. Like give away draft picks if they think they can go all the way. Then you have those that just want to dump salary and basically just give their players away. To sit there and do nothing sounds very counterproductive."Stock up for the next decade"? Wow that sounds like fun Gillis.

Fixed it for you!

Man, I'm on a Gillis bashing spree lately....

LA will find a way to re sign Lucic. Bettman told BOG at meeting this week that the cap could go up $3 mill next year. LA has $52 mill commited to 14 players next year. They have approx $23 million next year to sign Kopitar, Lucic and 5 or 6 players making $800k to $1.5 mill this year. Half of them will be RFA.  If they pay Kopitar and Lucic combined $15 mill they have $9 mill to sign a few 3rd and 4th liners plus back up goalie. They might have to trade away a 3rd liner who makes a cpl of mill per year and promote a rookie but that's about it. 

it's not hard to get Lucic done around $6 mill per for LA. In any event they would never trade him at the deadline and if they did Canucks are in no position to trade for him. Makes zero sense to do something like that for a rebuilding team.

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

LA will find a way to re sign Lucic. Bettman told BOG at meeting this week that the cap could go up $3 mill next year. LA has $52 mill commited to 14 players next year. They have approx $23 million next year to sign Kopitar, Lucic and 5 or 6 players making $800k to $1.5 mill this year. Half of them will be RFA.  If they pay Kopitar and Lucic combined $15 mill they have $9 mill to sign a few 3rd and 4th liners plus back up goalie. They might have to trade away a 3rd liner who makes a cpl of mill per year and promote a rookie but that's about it. 

it's not hard to get Lucic done around $6 mill per for LA. In any event they would never trade him at the deadline and if they did Canucks are in no position to trade for him. Makes zero sense to do something like that for a rebuilding team.

You also have to factor in, that Toffoli and Pearson are set to become RFAs in two seasons. Plus, they only have 4 defensemen signed for next year.

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

You also have to factor in, that Toffoli and Pearson are set to become RFAs in two seasons. Plus, they only have 4 defensemen signed for next year.

The D men that need to be re signed are RFA or bottom pair who will make between 800k and 2 mill. I already included them in my above post.

Toffolli and Pearson are  going to be RFA in 2 years. They're contracts will be manageable. That won't affect Lucic this summer . Lots of things could happen between now and end of 16/17 season. 

Absolutely not.  If he really wants to sign in Vancouver, he will not re-sign with another team... whether the Kings trade him or not.

I would like Lucic on this team.  But not nearly at the value he would likely command as a UFA.  He's no longer the dominant 2nd liner that Boston had when they won the cup, and I'm not interested in us paying 4+ million for a fringe 2nd liner/solid 3rd liner.  We already have that in Burrows....

I said, don't trade for him but sign him in the summer.

However, it would be extremely wide to make some serious media noise in an almost-happened buzz so that the Kings, the league and ultimately, Lucic himself know the Canucks are serious about Lucic.

I would not be surprised to find out that Benning and Lucic have had that very conversation before they both left Boston, and that that Boston traded Lucic when they did because they knew he would sign with Vancouver after his contract expires.

I have no sympathy for the Kings.

On December 10, 2015 at 10:17 AM, kloubek said:

Absolutely not.  If he really wants to sign in Vancouver, he will not re-sign with another team... whether the Kings trade him or not.

I would like Lucic on this team.  But not nearly at the value he would likely command as a UFA.  He's no longer the dominant 2nd liner that Boston had when they won the cup, and I'm not interested in us paying 4+ million for a fringe 2nd liner/solid 3rd liner.  We already have that in Burrows....

What? Are you merely repeating this in your head so it becomes truth? In your head?

Watch him play for L.A. and come back and talk about it.

Archived