The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Bruins 4, Canucks nil

TheRussianRocket.

11 minutes ago, HenButton said:

But what good is Prust to the team if he's suspended?  He's a tough, hard player that the team needs.  Especially right now.

Meh. It's not like Prust is a "foundational player". The 'Nucks can call someone up, or let Dorsett hanfdle the heavy lifting for the few games that Prust will be sitting.

Time well spent, IMHO.

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Meh. It's not like Prust is a "foundational player". The 'Nucks can call someone up, or let Dorsett hanfdle the heavy lifting for the few games that Prust will be sitting.

Time well spent, IMHO.

Well.... he IS a foundational player of sorts.  He's a cementhead!  I mean... why spear Marchand when the game is way out of hand?  Why not set the tone early and give Marchand the aforementioned 'beatdown'?  That would've also fired up the crowd.  Now he'll get suspended and make the lineup thinner than it already is!

3 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

I think it's fair to say, that our defense is on par with the Oilers. 

Q: If we land the 1st overall pick in the upcoming draft, do we draft Matthews or do we trade down a couple spots to snag Chychrun? 

Matthews is a potential franchise player. You don't pass that up.

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Matthews is a potential franchise player. You don't pass that up.

I agree. However we desperately need a potential franchise defenseman. When Weber is in you top-4, you have to change something ASAP. 

I suppose if the scenario becomes reality, we would draft Matthews. 

McCann - Matthews - Boesser 

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Virtanen 

Gaunce - Cassels - Grenier 

UFA - Zhukenov - UFA

I don't see Kenins/Baertschi sticking with us long term, however that lineup could be nasty. I could see that top line with over 250 points/ season.

15 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

I agree. However we desperately need a potential franchise defenseman. When Weber is in you top-4, you have to change something ASAP. 

UFA - Zhukenov - UFA

I don't see Kenins/Baertschi sticking with us long term, however that lineup could be nasty. I could see that top line with over 250 points/ season.

Jakob will be good but he's far from a franchise D at this point. 

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Can't see the forest for the trees. 2 rule books will always kill this team.

Build a muscular machine, & they'll call everything.

Build with skill, & they'll lose their whistles, especially late-season/spring.

Bettman will never have this happen to key US markets. The Cup(& game, in general) has been stolen for US purposes.

So riddle me this one...why is it the Canucks are among the tops in the league in PP chances? 

When Higgins and Weber were inserted in the line up and playing regular minutes...two players had to come out of the line up...cannot hide the record with them in the line up. (Solution...insert Pedan for Weber, this move alone will help...how obvious is this to fans..why isn't it obvious to management?).

To be honest, this is what was expected after the offseason moves...one glimmer of hope was when Sutter replaced Bonino (faster and scoring potential) because other than that, where was the secondary scoring going to come from?

Sutter is out, and he was the biggest offseason piece added.

Offseason moves included moving Kassian, Matthais, Richardson (complete 3rd line) and keeping the old guys (vets) and bringing in Prust. At least the 3rd line that left had potential...other than the unknown Kassian substance abuse.

Surprise was the kids making the team, but WD killed their confidence by benching them...anyone who has played the game knows that players want to play and sitting on the bench is a disciplinary action for doing something bad. The kids are now questioning themselves and how to play. It also doesn't help when they see the vets (Vrbata, Higgins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Edler) playing uninspired hockey .

Also, this is how a goalie (Markstrom) plays when he has sat for too long.

Bottomline...mismanagement by the coach has produced this result...it is harder to regain confidence when confidence has been taken away.

Willie D seriously needs to go. Team needs a BIG shakeup. Overall mindset needs to change. Willie needs to go before the kids get anymore screwed up. He has the kids and the rest of the team playing tentative and scared to make a mistake. No "fun" out there on the ice, no tempo, no rhythm. Willie is trying to teach them to play not to loose instead of teaching them to play to win. This team has always had success by trying to win. It's never had success by simply trying to hang on to a lead or preserve a tie. Ridiculous in this day and age to even think about coaching that crap. This team used to own the second and third periods a few years back. Now it sts back with a shortened bench and prays for overtime or a shootout. We all know how well that's worked for us this year.Overall, our positioning is terrible from defence to forwards, and it appears our players are now in that all to familiar dilemma of wether to pinch in or to stay back. Most times they get caught in no man's land. Horrid to watch. Horrid to watch Willie D deliver the same pre and post game tripe game in and game out.

Changes need to be made and they need to be made now.

7 hours ago, hearditall said:

U must be in your 20's?

If I were, what bearing would that have on the commentary I provided?

"You" must not yet be in your teens, how else would one explain the lack of elaboration on a hauntingly hollow reply which has no connection to the matter on which you responded?

I'll let you do the math, I was old enough to appreciate both Trevor Linden's and Pavel Bure's first games as rookies at the Pacific Coliseum.

So let me add some follow up questions, because as you might not be aware that is what adults do when they converse with one another and share ideas and opinions.

1. Was what Prust did not intentional?
2. Was what Prust did not gutless and completely lacking in character?
3. Is this the kind of culture and behavior you want on our team, where the rookies can pick up this kind of cheap shot mentality?

I was at the game last night, uninspired hockey is probably the best term to describe it.  Hate seeing Dorsett fighting for no reason at the beginning of the game.  I don't think that's what Benning means by "pushback".  Only players I noticed for the right reasons were Sedins, Horvat, McCann, Kenins.  Horrible turnovers in our end, in what universe is it a good idea to pass the puck from the corner to the front of your own net?  That happened multiple times.

I don't see how firing the coach accomplishes anything?  We've gone through 3 coaches now with the same result, uninspired hockey.  They were playing the same way for AV, Torts, and now Willie.  At the same time, if we get rid of more of the vets and bring up more of the Utica squad, I don't think we're going to do any better, and we might do a lot worse.  At least right now we're in most games, losing by a goal.  It's harder on the psyche if we're getting blown out every night, that destroy's people's confidence.  Besides, who is out there that we could bring in as a new coach?  Green?  What makes anyone think he'd fare any better?  He hasn't won the big prize at the AHL level, Willie did.  I doubt that many of us have coached at a high level, so our opinions of what should or shouldn't be done are based on far less experience and information than the people being paid to make the decisions.  None of us are privy to the entire set of facts and plans that the organization is basing their decisions on.  I'm sure that no one in the Canucks brass intends to drive the organization into the ground, so I have to have faith that the long term plan is what they are working towards.  We will have to bear with the pain of getting there.

5 hours ago, Mustapha said:

I agree with you, until I see that it's Brad Marchand and I think to myself....Canucks need to sign David Steckel just so he can hit 'The Rat' like he hit Sidney Crosby. A Prust spear in the balls is not vicious enough for a sewer dweller like Marchand.

Honestly, that's pretty lowbrow, and lacking in intelligence.

Take the opposing player out of the equation. I don't think Prust wouldn't have done that to any other player who got under his skin. It was a BS gutless decision, and did nothing but to enforce the belief across the league and officiating that this team hasn't changed from the Burrows and Kesler show with blatant embellishment and their fair share of cheap shots.

This is in the same vein as Bertuzzi/Moore and McSorley/Brashear. Nowhere near as serious as those two incidents, but just as per-meditated. It was ridiculous, unnecessary, and quite frankly embarrassing to me as a Canucks fan.

Anyone applauding this spear, especially "since" (as if that's any real justification for pure immaturity) it's Marchand, ought to be ashamed of themselves. The reason for the hate on Marchand occurred in 2011. that's 4 and a half years ago. Get over it, we play his team two times a season, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Inspired by my daughter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

57 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

UFA - Zhukenov - UFA

Oh I agree the D needs to be addressed in a big way but as does scoring. Outside the Sedins, the Canucks currently have none. A kid like Matthews could come in and contribute right away. Plus, defenceman typically take a while to mature and develop and currently the Canucks are in a state where they need help now. My theory is the only way to solve the defensive woes are via trade or God forbid overpaying in free agency. If it means trading away a couple good prospects then so be it. You gotta give up something to get something. 

It they are going to finish in the bottom 10, I hope they make it to the bottom 5 where they can draft a potential game changer, and even have a chance at the lottery victory.  This year there is a big difference between the top 2 or 3 players and the middle of the pack in the draft.

Oilers are 4 points behind with a game in hand and at some point they will be getting McNugget back. 

Right now this is an AHL team (including the coaching) with the Sedins thrown in.  Draft lottery territory is not out of the question.

Prust should be suspended by the team. I never want to see that kind of cheap shot again. Thought Prust was supposed to be a quality guy instead he's just a guy that can't control himself.

The worst part of the canucks play is the steady decrease in value of their trade bait.

11 minutes ago, Yotes said:

It was gutless what prust did, I dont know how anyone could say otherwise. I think he gets moved at deadline with other ufa's to recoup picks or prospects back

Lighten up I am sure Prust Knows that Marchand has no balls so there was no way that could have really hurt him. He was making a play on the puck... ya that's it

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Prust should be suspended by the team. I never want to see that kind of cheap shot again. Thought Prust was supposed to be a quality guy instead he's just a guy that can't control himself.

The worst part of the canucks play is the steady decrease in value of their trade bait.

I didn't see what happened live as it was behind the play and they didn't show the replay on the jumbotron.

I hate that kind of play by anyone, it's a cheap play.  I'm sure there is more history between Prust and Marchand as Montreal used to play the Bruins regularly.  Doesn't matter though, inexcusable play.  That's the reason I don't want the Canucks to sign Lucic, he does a lot of similar crap, he's just more talented than Prust.  Still not the type of player I want to see in a Canucks sweater.

Archived