The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Bruins 4, Canucks nil

TheRussianRocket.

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

They were the winningest team in the nhl for the better part of 4 years dude... 

Gillis formed a great team. His biggest flaw was siding with the players too much. Several of the contracts he handed out are head scratchers, and we're paying for some of them now. A secondary flaw would be selling off too many of our draft picks. Our prospect tank ran out at the worst time.

7 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Gillis formed a great team. His biggest flaw was siding with the players too much. Several of the contracts he handed out are head scratchers, and we're paying for some of them now. A secondary flaw would be selling off too many of our draft picks. Our prospect tank ran out at the worst time.

You don't win back to back president trophies and stock up on draft picks dude... 

Also, the picks he drafted are turning out pretty good now... 

Hutton, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, etc 

JB doesn't like mg picks so he brings in the likes of Vey and Sven to get ice time over Shinkaruk and Gaunce... 

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

You don't win back to back president trophies and stock up on draft picks dude... 

JB doesn't like mg picks so he brings in the likes of Vey and Sven to get ice time over Shinkaruk and Gaunce... 

???

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Chicago has. Forget about the president's trophy, we want The Stanley Cup. They've traded some picks, but kept others. That's how you build a winning team and keep it going for years.

Gillis only started drafting once he realized his job was on the line. 

Just now, Canucks Prophet said:

Chicago has. Forget about the president's trophy, we want The Stanley Cup. They've traded some picks, but kept others. That's how you build a winning team and keep it going for years.

Gillis only started drafting once he realized his job was on the line. 

It's just am entertainment business. I'm entertained with the product, year in, year out. 

Too much money involved to put everything on the result when they have such refs 

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

It's just am entertainment business. I'm entertained with the product, year in, year out. 

Too much money involved to put everything on the result when they have such refs 

You're entertained with three sub 20 shot performances In a row?

Im planning to repaint a room. Can you come check to make sure it dries properly.

It all comes down to very serious failings in the whole coaching staff. When you cannot score at least learn how to properly play the trap. Defense was horrible and left the ice wide open for the Bruins.The power play coach has got to go.... one soft shot all game! Willie is just out of his depth and has not developed any identity for the team either defensively or on offense. No character, no intensity or drive ... that is a coaching problem. Even teams with less talent can at least be competitive.

13 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

You're entertained with three sub 20 shot performances In a row?

Im planning to repaint a room. Can you come check to make sure it dries properly.

Not at all - I was referring to the 4 years of utter dominance. 

I'm angry with the recent outtings. I wasn't referring to that. Team is playing like garbage 

To those of you who have taken the so called high road against Prust's action vs Marchand, I think that you miss the real point that was the application of the spear. It was not a play, and therefore not a 'dirty play'. Get your head out of the high horse's ass!

It was not to inflict injury, and I don't believe that it did, it was to make a statement. The kind of statement (not necessarily spearing) that has been disappearing from the League as player policing is systematically removed to be replaced by ineffective officiating, only to satisfy the US market and dollar.

Don't get me wrong, I would have preferred an on ice rhinoplasty to have been performed on that rat, but his type will never man up for their actions. Prust's statement would never have had to be made against a Toews or a Hossa for example.
In the context of the sport, the rat's history, his antics, and coupled with the fact that he will never man up, I find Prust's deliberate statement (yes, where it was placed) to be both understandable and justified. I'd sooner have Prust as a teammate than Marchand.

This isn't minor hockey, so as you laud each other with rep points while upon your high horse, maybe you would be better suited to another sport, like lawn tennis, because you don't truly understand hockey as played by men and teammates.

12 minutes ago, JAY JAY said:

To those of you who have taken the so called high road against Prust's action vs Marchand, I think that you miss the real point that was the application of the spear. It was not a play, and therefore not a 'dirty play'. Get your head out of the high horse's ass!

It was not to inflict injury, and I don't believe that it did, it was to make a statement. The kind of statement (not necessarily spearing) that has been disappearing from the League as player policing is systematically removed to be replaced by ineffective officiating, only to satisfy the US market and dollar.

Don't get me wrong, I would have preferred an on ice rhinoplasty to have been performed on that rat, but his type will never man up for their actions. Prust's statement would never have had to be made against a Toews or a Hossa for example.
In the context of the sport, the rat's history, his antics, and coupled with the fact that he will never man up, I find Prust's deliberate statement (yes, where it was placed) to be both understandable and justified. I'd sooner have Prust as a teammate than Marchand.

This isn't minor hockey, so as you laud each other with rep points while upon your high horse, maybe you would be better suited to another sport, like lawn tennis, because you don't truly understand hockey as played by men and teammates.

I totally disagree.

Team play is not about showing OFF with 5 minutes to play in a blow out loss.

Benning called out the team last week and since then Prust and Dorsett have been fighting every game.

They are all staged fights that mean nothing to the game.  Didn't show up when necessary but show off when its too late.

This is the tough guy equivalent to a second assist on a 5-2 empty net goal. Means nothing.

Dorsett and Prust got schooled by Jared McCann in Anaheim.

49 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

It all comes down to very serious failings in the whole coaching staff. When you cannot score at least learn how to properly play the trap. Defense was horrible and left the ice wide open for the Bruins.The power play coach has got to go.... one soft shot all game! Willie is just out of his depth and has not developed any identity for the team either defensively or on offense. No character, no intensity or drive ... that is a coaching problem. Even teams with less talent can at least be competitive.

...NHL fans calling for the "trap"...............

......why not just ask WD and Trev to come over to your house, steal your wallet, and flush it's contents down the toilet, while making you watch The Exorcist 2?

Let's just cut to the chase

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Please dont bring up the whole bertuzzi thing.  the fact almost this entire province turned on him was pathetic.  Anyone who knows anything about anything knows it wasn't the hit that did the damage.  Was all those idiots pilling on top.  Bert was one of the best players in this franchise history and we turned on him like a dog with rabbies.  One of the most sad times in time as a canucks fan.

Lets try and put that too rest though and remember the good times of that era. Those were my formative years I sure enjoyed it.

I was at that game it was supposed to be to honour Trev and turned out to be a gong show. I stood up with 90 percent of the fans and yelled for Bert to hit him (Moore) while  he was grabbing him by the sweater, and we all  cheered when he did. The days following the media created a frenzy and cried for Berts blood. As you say almost the entire province turned on him, but that night at the Garage the fans cheered!

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Other teams seem to get skilled guys with grit. Honestly who was Boston's, LA's, Anaheim's or Dallas's version of Baertschi? I didn't see one did you? Burke may not get everything right but he got that one spot on.

If JB has that attitude we will never break the cycle. Look at McCann, he is no bigger than Sven but he has a hell of a lot more sand.

I see Calgary carrying an under developed skinny boy in their team but jeez can he play, score and make a difference. 104th pick o/a 150 lbs soaked wet but he can't be contained and he takes his licks like a man.

You confuse "skilled" with weak on the boards, won't hit, don't score, have no pushback and are easily put out of the game. 

How do you know Baertschi/Vey/Higgins/Shink have more skill than Gaunce or Grenier?

Based on how they play and their performance at all competitive levels when compared to their gritter teammates. Their junior and AHL stats suggest they are more likely to develop into top 6 forwards rather than bottom 6, which is more of an in-your-face style of play. 

How can you give up on them just because their strengths aren't along the boards? 

Higgins used to be fun player to watch because of his efforts in the past. But he's washed up now. Although he's getting paid so as long as he shows up, they gotta fit him in somehow. Also I never mentioned Higgins.

Vey has the hands for sure, he has a decent shot. But for a centre, he doesn't know how to protect the puck well enough to stay in a top 6 role in the NHL.

Baertschi obviously has the skills when you look at his ability to control the play. He's one of the few young guys who actually has his head up all the time when making a play. His play-making is above average. All he needs is the right strategies and line-mates who know where to go. Remember the Sedins early in their career were considered skilled guys with no grit. And we know how well they've turned out.

You're an idiot most of all if you think Shinkaruk is done. He has the most potential out all our prospects in Utica. Are you seriously gonna give up on him after 1 NHL game? Come on where is your common sense? Are you just gonna ignore his amazing progress over the past 2 years? 

You should NOT be comparing our rookies/youngins' with Calgary's. Ours aren't getting the same opportunities to succeed. You should be comparing Gaudreau to Daniel, because at least their ice-time is similar and they both play on the top-line.

Like I said, you need to have a good balance of skilled and grittier guys. Sometimes you get both in guys like Horvat and Virtanen. Having no push-back is directly related to the coaching strategies. Our opponents are getting too much time and space. That's where our gritty players step in to create space. Subsequently allowing our more skilled guys to have the time and space to make the right plays.

We just gotta continue developing our future core along side of the Sedins. This is the first time in many years where we can actually be excited about multiple prospects and you want to trade them away? No way Jose. JB already said we're not trading any of our young players unless we are significantly upgrading.

You need to have some patience dude. Not every player makes an impact in their first game. 

8 hours ago, shadowgoon said:

Honestly, that's pretty lowbrow, and lacking in intelligence.

Take the opposing player out of the equation. I don't think Prust wouldn't have done that to any other player who got under his skin. It was a BS gutless decision, and did nothing but to enforce the belief across the league and officiating that this team hasn't changed from the Burrows and Kesler show with blatant embellishment and their fair share of cheap shots.

This is in the same vein as Bertuzzi/Moore and McSorley/Brashear. Nowhere near as serious as those two incidents, but just as per-meditated. It was ridiculous, unnecessary, and quite frankly embarrassing to me as a Canucks fan.

Anyone applauding this spear, especially "since" (as if that's any real justification for pure immaturity) it's Marchand, ought to be ashamed of themselves. The reason for the hate on Marchand occurred in 2011. that's 4 and a half years ago. Get over it, we play his team two times a season, this shouldn't even be an issue.

Inspired by my daughter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

But Marchand had the unmitigated audacity to score a beautiful game winning goal against us and then the Bruins had the nerve to have him out on the ice after they went up 4-0. I mean REALLY!

Seriously I agree with everything you say. This incident and the recent kerfuffle with Tootoo is proving yet again that this team, and by this I mean everything, it's ownership/management, it's players, it's local media and  it's fanbase (both devoted and casual) are the easiest team to troll in the NHL and they have been for a decade or better. Way too busy worrying about stuff in the past so much so that they don't even think about what they are doing in the present. As a result more often than not we are easy meat for a crafty opponent.

2 minutes ago, thema said:

But Marchand had the unmitigated audacity to score a beautiful game winning goal against us and then the Bruins had the nerve to have him out on the ice after they went up 4-0. I mean REALLY!

Seriously I agree with everything you say. This incident and the recent kerfuffle with Tootoo is proving yet again that this team, and by this I mean everything, it's ownership/management, it's players, it's local media and  it's fanbase (both devoted and casual) are the easiest team to troll in the NHL and they have been for a decade or better. Way too busy worrying about stuff in the past so much so that they don't even think about what they are doing in the present. As a result more often than not we are easy meat for a craft opponent.

Pretty much this. Any other player on any other team pulling this stunt would have garnered such outrage on this board regardless of the circumstance. It's so predictable it's actually laughable.

I cheer the team, and from time to time I will cheer individual players. However, any player that makes the team look bad from a sportsmanship perspective of the game in my opinion is less than trash.

This was pure and simple, an idiotic decision made by a borderline NHL player out of pure frustration. Honestly I lay the blame 50/50 on this one. 50% Prust as he failed to reign in his frustration, but also 50% WD's for even having Prust out on the ice with 5 minutes left in the game. Had it been a fight instead of a spear, WD and the team would have been fined as well. IMO there's little distinction between what Prust did, and had he gotten into a fight.

#BushLeague

I listened to the post game interviews.

Vancouver KNOWS what they have to do.

Sedin's being nice and not outright stating the problem but to fix the problem they're going to have to get in a room away from reporters and state exactly what the problem is and how they're going to fix it.

The player's who are making mistakes grew up in a world where the BREAKOUT was not the #1. Play.

If these players are taught the hard and fast rules of THE CORE BREAKOUT the giveaways will stop.

Then the hard and fast rules for defence.

#1 being - take the man, not the puck.

A rule not in the defencive rules that should be put in the defencive rules is not to go easy on anyone you played with in the

minors. Professional means you showed up to win.

As for Prust - alot of crap in games goes on all the time. It's hockey. Prust got caught. The retaliator always gets caught.

You take the number and get even in a subtle way.

Prust isn't a monster, he's a hockey player not taking any crap.

Desjardin does sound like such a nice guy he's going to ask politely - which works with some players but not all.

Desjardin will have to take a page from Prust if asking politely doesn't yield favourable results.

A kick in the nuts should drive the point home.

At some point in the big bad grownup world, you don't have a choice.

The only option left.

When I look at Babcock, I see a man who doesn't have a problem with the final option.

Desjardin may nice himself out of a job.

Archived