The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Low Can They Go? Auston Matthews A Real Possibility

3 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I hope we don't TBH. Picking Matthews would only give Benning more incentive to push for a playoff spot next year when we still have a lot of holes on this team.

Pick Chychrun, have him spend one more year in the OHL and then draft our franchise C next year. We should be ready to turn things around by the 17-18 season.

You'd pass up a potential franchise centerman..

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I'm shaking my head at the mental gymnastics some people are going through about passing up matthews or trading pick!  :lol: Like edmonton or buffalo thought about packaging mcdavid or eichel for a dman. That's your number 1 centre right there to replace henrik.

9 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

I'm shaking my head at the mental gymnastics some people are going through about passing up matthews or trading pick!  :lol: Like edmonton or buffalo thought about packaging mcdavid or eichel for a dman. That's your number 1 centre right there to replace henrik.

I'd love a top dman but I still think you take BPA especially one as renowned as Matthews.  Maybe you package up some other players for a stud D.  I also still believe in Benning as a GM and he will be creative to find his man.  I think deep down he knew the playoffs were a long shot even if he publicly stated otherwise.  

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

No, I'm weighing scenarios: Drafting 1st vs 2nd or 3rd

If we draft Matthews he's an immediate lock for a roster spot going into next year where we compete for the playoffs with $&!#ty wingers, $&!#ty defenseman, and average goaltending just like this year.

Carried by the Sedin's and Matthews we barely miss or barely crack the playoffs. Not to mention Benning will probably try to improve the roster through free agency.

~ Finish in a spot similar to last year, draft 15-25th.

If we draft Chychrun we send him down and draft near the bottom again.

~ Finish within the bottom three, draft Patrick or Vilardi.

I just don't want to half ass this rebuild, and I could see that happening if we draft the messiah this year.

13 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Acquiring Mathews would provide us the opportunity to contend for a cup in the Sedin's retirement window.  Brock Boeser might make the jump a lil quicker 2 if we landed him.  Were gonna have a sick team.

6 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

No, I'm weighing scenarios: Drafting 1st vs 2nd or 3rd

If we draft Matthews he's an immediate lock for a roster spot going into next year where we compete for the playoffs with $&!#ty wingers, $&!#ty defenseman, and average goaltending just like this year.

Carried by the Sedin's and Matthews we barely miss or barely crack the playoffs. Not to mention Benning will probably try to improve the roster through free agency.

~ Finish in a spot similar to last year, draft 15-25th.

If we draft Chychrun we send him down and draft near the bottom again.

~ Finish within the bottom three, draft Patrick or Vilardi.

I just don't want to half ass this rebuild, and I could see that happening if we draft the messiah this year.

I hear what your saying but don't you think if can draft Matthews we should?  

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Move some vets at the deadline and try to get another first out of it.  Take Matthews and use the other first for defense.

I like this idea. No way we're getting a high first rounder from any of our tradable vets, but hopefully there's some defensive depth in the lower half. Maybe even a steal.

Look the way I see it, we're not getting the 1st overall but if we do we've got a few options - we can't just sit on Matthews and build this team. We need balance. This defence is losing us games right now, not these centers or forwards.

1) Draft Matthews but then we ship one of Horvat or (ideally) McCann out for a stud defenceman. Defencemen are much harder to come by, it'd be a big trade but we'd have a redundency of young skilled centers. Don't forget, the twins are going to be on this team for another 3ish years, Sutter for another 5 so that leaves Matthews, Horvat and McCann. If Matthews comes in, we have to get some defensive help and trading McCann to do it would be the wise thing.

2) Trade down to 2nd or 3rd overall and acquire a 1st round pick in the process (or a defensive prospect). Draft Chychurn and another stud defenceman prospect. There may be as many as 10 or 15 that go in the first round in 2016, if we can nab Chychurn plus another one we'll have done well.

Simple drafting Matthews first overall would be unacceptable at the 2016 draft. Benning has to address this pathetic current defence and even worse defensive prospect pool, and in a big way. Calgary not only bulked up their current defence but their future defensive pool at the 2015 draft and just watch them turn their season around now when the pressure rises. Hamilton is catching fire, that team is looking good again. That's the sort of attention we need to be paying to our back end.

5 hours ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/willes+canucks/11569309/story.html

" That means the race for the first overall pick this season might be a lot more interesting that the race for the playoffs — which might be the best thing for this team in the long run"

This post by Ed Willis is one of the first I have read by the mainstream media in Vancouver to openly discuss that the Canucks could be pushing (inadvertently of course) for a 1st overall pick.  I think that is somewhat significant and very realistic for anyone watching this team.  

If you look at the standings as of December 6th http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20152016&type=LEA we have the 9th worst record in the NHL and are tied for the least wins in the NHL.  And it looks to be getting worse not better.  We are only 4 points up on Edmonton.  

I for one had some faith in this team before the season started and kinda laughed at all the "experts" who called for the Canucks to be bad.  I guess I was wrong and I for one am very disappointed not just for the lack of wins, but the lack of compete.  The slow play.  The terrible breakouts.  Watching a pillar of a D-man like Hamhuis just crumble before our eyes.  

So is it time to start looking at the draft and hope for a guy like Matthews?  I think watching bad hockey all year will be painful to see but it might just be time that we all except our fate here.

Here is some info on Matthews for those not completely familiar with who he is:

http://www.tsn.ca/button-matthews-the-clear-favourite-to-go-no-1-in-2016-draft-1.107932

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=785921

I am trying to keep the discussion Canucks related with a Matthews twist.  If there are any other prospect that would fit what the Canucks need, or have any other guys you think are better suited for our team moving forward then please share.  Or maybe you think the Canucks as built can come out of this funk.  I'd love to hear how/why you think that is possible. 

I really wanted to keep this from being a Canucks bashing session.  I am disappointed as are all of us, but lets just be adults about it.  Thanks.

Capture.JPG

The real prize is jakob

18 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I like this idea. No way we're getting a high first rounder from any of our tradable vets, but hopefully there's some defensive depth in the lower half. Maybe even a steal.

If nothing else a late first coupled with an extremely early second has a good chance to let you hand pick a guy you want or keep them and start building that group of 6 

Archived