The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Vancouver - Dallas

I suggested going after Honka a while back, and still think we should. If Dallas thinks some of our veteran pieces (Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, etc.) can help them with a Cup run this year, then I would go after him. We would have to take back some cap and bad contracts, but it would be worth it in my opinion. I could see Higgins and Hamhuis interesting them, as they don't need any more scoring help. Those two would provide a defensive presence in the playoffs. Maybe we could do something like this:

To DAL:

Hamhuis (50% retained)

Higgins

Gaunce

Pedan

To VAN:

Honka

Hemsky (Cap balancer)

Moen (40% retained, cap balancer)

3rd Round Pick (Becomes a 2nd if Dallas reaches the WCF)

Moen is in and out of the lineup while Hemsky is currently on the 4th line. Moen is a UFA at he end of the year and Hemsky the year after. Our lineup for the rest of the year (assuming there aren't any other trades):

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertshci - Sutter - Vrbata

Burrows - Horvat - Virtanen

Prust - McCann - Dorsett/Hemsky

Edler - Tanev

Bartkowski - Weber

Hutton - Sbisa

That defense is cringe worthy, but with the way things are going now it might work to our advantage and cement a top-5 pick for us. Getting Hemsky back as a bad contract might open the door on a trade involving Vrbata for a 1st with a decent replacement. We could also afford to lose Prust or Moen as both are UFA's after this year.

Dallas accepting this deal relies on two things: they feel they can legitimately make a run this year, and the feel they can resign Demers or one of their young guys is ready for increased responsibilities. If they feel that adding Higgins to their bottom-6 and Hamhuis as their #5D really help their push, then they might do it. Jim Nill said Honka was knocking on the door THIS year, and with Demers being a UFA, they might want him to soak up those minutes. They might be a little more reluctant if Jokipakka, Nemeth or Oleksiak don't look ready yet. However, with how they are in the standings, they might just go for a Cup run.

Vancouver gets a very good, right handed defenseman who can probably step in next year. Honka is not very big, but he is very solid. I mean, Virtanen tried to hit him once at the WJC and he pushed him off. Combine that with a high compete level, great skating and very high hockey IQ, and he looks like a very good defender in the making. I could see him and Tanev being our right-side top-4 for a long time, and a potential partner for Hutton moving forward.

Honka's not cracking that defence for a while, they're stacked. Dallas will be going for a playoff push, maybe we can give them some proven playoff pieces.

Higgins, Burrows, Hamhuis are all great playoff guys, and they can't say no to Vbrata.

I'd be happy to do Higgins or Burrows + pick for Honka.

Archived