The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Might we be over-reacting?

Rush17

I know willie said it was a must game.  a must compete game.  the majority of us in the boards today have been running around freaking out shouting auston matthews.  Could we honestly be in a situation where we have just jumped the gun because we are seeing signs of decay.  as much as i was on the matthews tank train.  I am going to hold off from burning down the fort until we see the outcome of the next game.  

the pressure is gone. the team failed the test.  maybe we will see the team just loosen up now and get back to their ways.  

Just food for thought.

Perhaps the sky isn't falling.  Maybe just maybe.  We just had a collective panic attack lol.  But on a serious note this all started with our loss on buffalo according to the feature heads of tsn1040.  We now have the opportunity to correct that wrong and regain composure.  I look forward too the game.  If we lose the next 2 i will return to the sky is falling and hope we win the lotto.

cheers.

For me this centers on the past playoff no shows as much as,  or more than anything. This losing streak is the deja vu before the storm (meager playoff production) Everything that's been needing to get fixed hasn't been.

Fail on Weber/Bart... Fail on Vey and Baers. The core is still in hibernation except for !st line.

Prust (before injury) and Cracknell (after scratching him) were/are okay 

Got lucky with two rookies.

The worst thing this team did was lose in overtime...we'd either be tied for Mathews or tied for third in the West, both of which are much more favorable than where we are now: Picking 8th despite being tied for least wins IN THE LEAGUE.

Being 8th worst is only good if we win a lottery pick, we desperately need another shot at a number 1 d-man or number 1 center, and odds are much better if we pick 1 or 2. Plus its free trade-value if we decide to trade down. 

Selling more vets like Vrbata and hammer, maybe Prust or Higgy, will ensure more minutes to give guys like Baer and McCann. They could consider making some AHL deals to bolster UTI and simultaneously call up Gaunce or Shinkaruk or Grenier or Vey or Jensen to finish the year in the Chel with no pressure and get a taste so they're prepared for next year. it will also help ease us down the standings and ensure were not picking behind our rivals, who are sucking too.

I don't think so. Could the Canucks go on a run here and vault themselves into a playoff position? Absolutely. The Pacific is a mess of stumbling teams right now and if the Canucks want it its right there for them. But when you've won of 3 of your last 16 games, well... that doesn't seem very likely. This isn't a snap reaction based off a couple games, its been going on for a full month now and the team hasn't shown any sign of turning it around so until they do (if they do) this reaction's pretty much justified.

I really don't see why anyone would be over reacting/panicking/freaking out. 

Based on this roster there should be ZERO surprise with the results.

Everyone has been made aware of the transition of the fly (which seems to be giving to mini rebuild now).

I just hope this team hasn't fallen too far off the playoff race in a months time when Sutter returns. I know he's one guy but that's an important missing piece - we're a winning team with him and a losing, below .500 team without him purely because of the domino effect his presence has on the kids Horvat and McCann. The kids can handle 3C and 4C duties but not primary shutdown roles against NHL superstars.

Lets just hope we're under 10 points off a playoff spot when Sutter returns, even that might be too far to catch up from.

Lost 8 of the last 10 I think, have largely been outplayed, seemingly no one is scoring, Defence is setting up the other team for gimmies in our own end. At what point o fearless over lord of CDC are we allowed to start questioning this team and/or start looking at a top 5 pick as a reality? 4-9-4 Since November.

Injuries are a poor excuse we've been injury riddled before and not looked this bad. Is Sutter really THAT big a piece without him we are bottom feeders? He's big and we are missing him but geez, that doesn't explain the piss poor effort we are seeing.

I've never been a "tank" supporter but I will say that for some of the folks on here the reactions stem not so much from this current losing streak but from continual playoff no-shows since the 2011 run.

Honestly the Canucks being this bad has been a long time coming and the fact that it is finally here is (believe it or not) actually a good thing.  The twins and goaltending have not been able to fully wallpaper over the ugliness on this roster and its about time that something is done about all the secondary issues that plague Vancouver.  It will take time and it won't be pretty, but it's pretty evident, even to those in the management/owner box that this rebuild/retool needs to take on a more urgent tone.

Number one priority?  Like myself and others have been saying for about 3-4 years now...draft some decent defenseman for God's sake.

This season has been looming since 2011.  Trading picks for rentals, sketchy drafting, questionable asset management  and the desire to make the playoffs at all costs, even if there is little chance of getting past the first round.  A lot of things contribute to a downward spiral and that's where we are right now.  It might not make watching games as much fun, but one has to just remember that if management does a good job it will get better.

It's the proper reaction as it should helps the fan base accept reality and focus on the future. 

Hopefully the Nucks GM can Finally focus on the future more than the present.

This is a good thing and I really hope the skid continues and drops the team down to a great draft pick probability. Unfortunately however, the value of the vets will be low given their poor year but we are stuck with guys like Burrows who has not remotely come close to earning $4.5. Just what is he good at, other than being penalized by reputation. And GMMG strangled the team with some other questionable long term big money contracts...I digress.

Good by dead weight, hello inexperienced youth. It's more fun watching young teams than an old non-offensive cautious teams. 

I think I've been over-reacting.

I know this is a transition period and I know we will have some poor results and I know we have suffered crucial injuries BUT it still hurts when the team are being pushed aside so easily when they should be battling as if their life depended on it.

It's almost like some players have given up.

I look at our team and I still see a lot of very good players out there. However they are having the life sucked out of them by having to compensate for a few on the team who it looks to me are not pulling their weight. And let me say now, non of these players are playing D imo.

Our forwards must get closer to our D and back check more. They need to ratchet up their physicality and if they can't they should ask to sit and let some of the Utica boys have a go.

Against Dallas they came out and run them ragged for the first 5 mins - then as if a switch was flicked they just seemed to say well we're 1-0 up we can relax now. They picked it up again in the 3rd but by that time Dallas were not going to succumb. Why do we switch off like that, is it fitness, is it, lack of leadership, is it laziness?

Whatever the reason Willie and JB need to get to the bottom of it and sort it out.

Against Boston it was as if they collectively decided they were going to lose so why bother. There was no spirit, no brotherhood, no hard compete. We were 2nd best all over the ice.

And here's something that sticks in my craw. 

People can moan about Bieksa's mistakes all they like but the guy was a battler. When things were going wrong he tried to do something about it. He was part of the beating heart of this team, he would not have allowed rookies to be bullied and he would not have backed off to Boston. I still can't understand, for the life of me why we chose to keep Weber over Bieksa.

Bieksa was the epitome of what I understood JB and TL wanted to build here.

Archived