The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alex Semin

Baer.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

... fine, pick him up, send McCann and Virtanen to the world juniors. Waive him when you don't need him

do it.  waive him after wjc's are over.  But are we stuck with his cap against the main roster if he clears?

if it doesnt thats perfect!

Just now, TOMapleLaughs said:

1 goal in 15gp.  Started top-6 and found himself riding pine more and more often while Mtl keeps on winning.

If we claim him we'd have to stick him with the Sedins to verify if he still has a pulse, and that will have a cascading effect on the rest of the teams' morale.

Agree

Perfect, lets claim him, he can skate around and wait the Sedins to score like most of our team does on any given game night.

Don't worry CDC peeps, Benning is looking for a center to replace Sutter, there's no way Semin will be coming to Vancouver.  We already have one anyways. 

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

do it.  waive him after wjc's are over.  But are we stuck with his cap against the main roster if he clears?

if it doesnt thats perfect!

His salary is $1.1m. You can bury roughly $950k in the minors if he clears. So Vancouver wouldn't have much of a cap hit if they picked him up and subsequently sent him down (and he cleared) 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

His salary is $1.1m. You can bury roughly $950k in the minors if he clears. So Vancouver wouldn't have much of a cap hit if they picked him up and subsequently sent him down (and he cleared) 

Yep this... even at his horrible scoring pace this year, he is outplaying half our roster.  Best case scenario, he scores a bunch with the Sedins over a short period and we move him at the deadline to another team for a pick.

Worst case, we waive him after the World Juniors and no one picks him up and we have a $200k cap hit to have him playing in the minors (though he likely wouldn't report and you get to terminate his contract).

1 minute ago, Mathew Barzal said:

That's an insult to Semin. Semin not trying is ten times the player Baertschi will ever be.

Considering Baertschi has more points, as well as ppg, than Semin this season, it wouldn't take much to squander your remark. lol

Perhaps we should say the same thing about Barzal with a random NHL'er? It would be about the same mentality of a comment. ;)

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Considering Baertschi has more points, as well as ppg, than Semin this season, it wouldn't take much to squander your remark. lol

Perhaps we should say the same thing about Barzal with a random NHL'er? It would be about the same mentality of a comment. ;)

You need to be playing and getting quality minutes to score.  I am not saying Semin has been good, but if you put him in the same situations Baertschi was gifted, he would have more points.

Not being able to crack one of the best roster in the league and not being able to crack the Canucks roster is a different thing,

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

You need to be playing and getting quality minutes to score.  I am not saying Semin has been good, but if you put him in the same situations Baertschi was gifted, he would have more points.

Not being able to crack one of the best roster in the league and not being able to crack the Canucks roster is a different thing,

To be honest, I just found Matt Barzal's comment immature. I don't care about comparing what a vet has done with someone who may or may not be good later on. That was really my point.

Then again, I guess my original comment probably shouldn't have been there to begin with.

38 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep this... even at his horrible scoring pace this year, he is outplaying half our roster.  Best case scenario, he scores a bunch with the Sedins over a short period and we move him at the deadline to another team for a pick.

Worst case, we waive him after the World Juniors and no one picks him up and we have a $200k cap hit to have him playing in the minors (though he likely wouldn't report and you get to terminate his contract).

39 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yeah. If burrows or Hansen can put up a decent pace with the sedins we should jump on him. He has finish similar maybe not as leathal as verbies can be but he's a hell of a lot faster.  Could play with canner or the sedins and slide Hansen down to horvat or canners line. We lack speed Verbie is slow and not doing so well. He's prob worried about his next deal wanting to stay in van.

Bringing in a guy who's effort is in question on a nightly basis is a bad idea.  Being a better option than Baertschi is no reason to bring in Semin.  It will just be more of the same.  If we are going to make changes, make changes.  Semin is not change, he is the epitome of what are problems are at the moment.  Please for the love of dog, do not try and claim Semin.

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Grab him.

Maybe he would do better out here on the West Coast.

Will he clear though is the question ?

Has to clear: Calgary, Columbus, Toronto, Colorado, Edmonton, Carolina (should slide by), and buffalo ?

My question is. when a player is waived.  Is the order of the waivers based off the day of the claim or the day or the day the player is sent down ?   I could see Babcock and The maple leafs take a stab at him.  Be interesting to see.

oh also... Does games played play a factor in a teams wavier pickup rank.

Archived