The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alex Semin

Baer.

2 hours ago, lmm said:

Prust Semin Vbat 

we could nick name them the "I Don't care Line"

and play " It wouldn't have made any difference" if they ever score a goal!!!

Or the Thrust Semin Vbratar line. When they're on the ice, the Canucks are....well...it rhymes with Canucked.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Some team in the hunt will pick him up at that cap hit.

Montreal is making space for something.  It won't be Vrbata.

Maybe they are making room for the return of future Hall of Fame great Zack Kassian and the pet monkey he lets ride on his back.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I can see him slapping his way out of all kinds of trouble. Semin is not really in the position to demand anything right now. His NHL career is dead.

They could agree to mutually terminate his contract though. That way he could sign overseas. It would be in both party's best interests if he clears. I think it's the most likely scenario unless Semin thinks he can get his game back after a few weeks in the A to earn a recall. 

Obvs Benning is gonna claim him as part of the deal to send Vrby to MTL, they're just giving the teams below them a chance first so neither has to take on the cap ;).

I haven't noticed him at all this year in the dozen or so MTL games I've watched, but he must be playing pretty horrible. Guy has so much talent put up so many points even with his first couple years with the Hurricanes. 

Most years I actually wouldn't have minded the Canucks giving him a chance on the 2nd line and some 2nd unit PP time, but on a team with already questionable character (like the Ducks and LA games recently that Benning called them out for), I think this would be a horrible pick-up.

The last thing you want on a team with lots of youngsters is to bring in a veteran loafer.

We have a team that has generated a grant total of 49 shots in 3 games. We already seem really disinterested, have no push back and are showing rookies the way to fail.

Now people are suggesting picking the King of the Loafers up because he's cheap. The damage he'd do to the rookies would be untold.

NO, NO. A thousand times NO to Semin.

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The last thing you want on a team with lots of youngsters is to bring in a veteran loafer.

We have a team that has generated a grant total of 49 shots in 3 games. We already seem really disinterested, have no push back and are showing rookies the way to fail.

Now people are suggesting picking the King of the Loafers up because he's cheap. The damage he'd do to the rookies would be untold.

Actually the suggestion is to also let the rookies go play elsewhere rather than be part of what is becoming a tire fire of a season here.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Actually the suggestion is to also let the rookies go play elsewhere rather than be part of what is becoming a tire fire of a season here.

Honestly would rather have Jensen and Baer in the lineup than Semin. Baer with his waiver eligibility and Jensen next season. Give them a chance with a thin line-up.

Saying that, WD has done a horrible job handling Baer so far.

5 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Perfect player for our tank for Matthews or Chychrun

A Soft, Cheap,Lazy and ineffective player on an expiring contract for our top six,

Lottery pick assured

Agreed, and possibly he lights it up with the Twins. Arguably the most talented player to ever play with them. Worth a peak. 

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Can you name a player in the history of the game who was picked up and damaged young players. We will all wait patiently...

PS: Recchi was a waiver pickup, I believe Bryzgalov as well.

21 minutes ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

Can you name a player in the history of the game who was picked up and damaged young players. We will all wait patiently...

PS: Recchi was a waiver pickup, I believe Bryzgalov as well.

It's more of a common sense concept. Take a guy like Radulov for example, no team wants him around regardless of how talented he is.

Think anyone is lining up to bring Kassian into their locker room? If you're a GM with lots of youth would you bring him in? We had lots of youth coming up and couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

It's more trouble than it's worth. Same goes for lazy, entitled vets. It only takes one cancer/problem to mess up a locker room. It's a bad example for young guys to be learning from.

Wow... At that cap hit... Imagine with the sedins. Hansen is needed for the rest of the team. 

I would take him if I was GM. If it works, u trade a higher cap forward. 

Burrows to Montreal for 2nd and a dman. Burr will lead them to a cup. 

Don't get me wrong, Alex is my favourite player. Nicest guy I ever met... Tied with tuzzi. 

Archived