The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What the Plan Should Be: Trade Vbata, Burrows, Higgins, Prust and Hamhuis

51 minutes ago, Ryanstorm said:

Vrbata: Good player, bad year for him probably won't get a 1st.

Hamhuis: Also a great player, but probably not a 1st either.

Burrows: Decent player, maybe a 3rd.

Higgins: Not consistent, AHL prospect, 5th round?

Prust: Same as Higgins.

I'm not saying trade them all for picks as we'd have multiple holes in the team that already has holes but that's what I think we'd get for them.

I'd hope we can find that 1st line player for the Sedins (although Hansen is usually good with them) hopefully upgrade our defense a bit and have a future team that will be a good one.

Good assessment, but I am hoping these guys play well enough to get upgraded. If Vrby and Hammer play well from now till the deadline, first round picks might be possible. And Burrows might be worth a second.

I agree that any pick for Higgins or Prust would be good.

I wonder if Weber or Bartkowski (also on expiring contracts) could be worth a low draft pick (5th - 7th round).

52 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Proposals section?

33 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Extra points for originality and avoiding redundancy.

Yeah, not much new and exciting here to talk about. There have been lots of suggestions for who to deal and for what.

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure why everyone is focusing on picks, I'm betting JB is looking at prospects in the 20-22 range as more attractive targets.

More attractive targets in terms of their stage of development, but what team is going to be willing to give up a stud 20-22 year old defenceman that they've been working hard to develop? Willing to part with that kind of dman is probably a sign that things are not as good as they appear. 

22 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

More attractive targets in terms of their stage of development, but what team is going to be willing to give up a stud 20-22 year old defenceman that they've been working hard to develop? Willing to part with that kind of dman is probably a sign that things are not as good as they appear. 

Teams like Washington who are contenders who might be willing to move a Bowey in a deal to put them into the top contender category.

Just now, stawns said:

Teams like Washington who are contenders who might be willing to move a Bowey in a deal to put them into the top contender category.

I agree with that, but only if the pending UFA were closer to their prime, not at the tail-end of their productive careers unfortunately - which is basically only what we have to offer in Hammer, Virby. 

You get a Bowey+ for a high caliber UFA like Stamkos/Kopitar - not a Hammer/Virby. 

52 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Looks like myself and a few others were right about tanking being the best thing for this hockey club.

No point clinging onto the dreams that 'if we make the playoffs anythican happen' fantasy.

Although amazingly...some will continue to do so.

1 hour ago, Fozzy said:

Looks like myself and a few others were right about tanking being the best thing for this hockey club.

No point clinging onto the dreams that 'if we make the playoffs anythican happen' fantasy.

This.

I still remember when everybody was saying this on CDC. :lol:

Prust's contract is up this year and when it is he'll probably look seriously at re-signing in Montreal. That being known, what team other than Montreal would take him, and even then why wouldn't they just wait till the end of the season and sign him for free?

Agree on most else. The NTC's will bite us here big time, even in a seller's market.

40 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I agree with that, but only if the pending UFA were closer to their prime, not at the tail-end of their productive careers unfortunately - which is basically only what we have to offer in Hammer, Virby. 

You get a Bowey+ for a high caliber UFA like Stamkos/Kopitar - not a Hammer/Virby. 

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Vrbata and either a mid-level prospect or pick.  It would be worth it.

Don't you remember Stawns? If there is a young prospect on another team that has never played a NHL game but MIGHT project to be a top4 D/Top 6 F, the team that has him demands a superstar for him in a trade....oh and that the Canucks have nothing attractive to trade for him.

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

Vrbata and either a mid-level prospect or pick.  It would be worth it.

So, essentially you are suggesting that Virby and a Grenier-type player would get us Bowey? 

I'd really like to believe that could happen, but I do not think that would do it especially since Virby isn't exactly lighting the league up so far. 

54 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

So, essentially you are suggesting that Virby and a Grenier-type player would get us Bowey? 

I'd really like to believe that could happen, but I do not think that would do it especially since Virby isn't exactly lighting the league up so far. 

more like a Shinkaruk, Jensen, Gaunce type

Archived