The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks & Rangers

I'd rather keep Edler and just try really hard to sign Yandle in the off-season. Production-wise Edler's producing around the same amount as Yandle, and I'm sure we'd see some of Keith's mistakes come out if he was playing with this shoddy Canucks team defence.

Plus they've got a good thing going, don't see them bothering.

We'd have to offer Yandle huge dollars to convince him to come to a non-playoff team, but we'll have around 16M in cap space to play with and I think we only really need to sign one top-6 forward (Lucic, Okposo or Ladd to play with the Sedins), a top-4 defenceman (Yandle or Byfuglien) and a depth defenceman.

Give both Lucic and Yandle 6-7M deals, 3 year, or whatever they want really. Use the rest to sign a depth defenceman.

Trade Hamhuis + Higgins + 2nd + prospect (Pedan/Fedun) to NYI for Hamonic at the deadline.

Sedin - Sedin - Lucic

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Shinkaruk - McCann - Hansen

Cracknell - Horvat - Virtanen

Dorsett

Gaunce

Yandle - Hamonic

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa

Bartkowski

That team makes the playoffs and contends. Scoring may seem like it'll be an issue but the forwards will be better, Yandle will bring in points from the back end as will a better Hutton. The Pacific is only going to get worse next season, we could challenge for top spot in the division with that lineup and all it took was a big Hamonic trade + top-6 signing + top-4 defence signing.

Ya their points are similar,and yes yandle does make mistakes like every offensive d man. We could try to sign him as a ufa, maybe he goes back home to boston?

Yandle may also get overpaid as a ufa which I wouldnt want us to do either. Was just a thought yandle is more offensive, could be a good fit with tanev mr. reliable

If Yandle would sign an extension with them (wouldn't be out of the question given how they're likely a contender) I don't see why the Rangers would want to trade Keith.  He's one of the premier pure offensive D-men out there, he leads their D in points and they have the all-round guys to shelter him given his tendency to make mistakes.  In Edler they get another all-rounder with some offense but the similar chance of making mistakes, and though Eddie is signed I think it's still a downgrade given how he doesn't have the same pure offensive ability.

Also unsure as to why a struggling Higgins would be the throw-in to get it done?  They have decent top-9 wingers in Zucc, Nash, Hayes, Kreider, as well as the less-heralded J.T. Miller and Jesper Fast (young guys on pace for career seasons in points).  Even Viktor Stalberg is doing decently in his limited role, so I'm unsure why they'd need Higgins back.  

edler will also have a lower cap hit then yandles next deal. Higgins would provide playoff experience and good pk to their bottom 2 lines. He played well under AV as well. He isnt so much of a throw in, more of a way for us to move a contract to free up some cap

we send 7.5m and would need to retain yandle around 6m?

I see rangers holding on to Yandle till the offseason and then going after Hamhuis as his replacement in the summer.  Yandle isn't making canucks cup contenders this year so we have no rush to try and trade for him when we can aswell just go after him in the off season.  

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd rather keep Edler and just try really hard to sign Yandle in the off-season. Production-wise Edler's producing around the same amount as Yandle, and I'm sure we'd see some of Keith's mistakes come out if he was playing with this shoddy Canucks team defence.

That team makes the playoffs and contends. Scoring may seem like it'll be an issue but the forwards will be better, Yandle will bring in points from the back end as will a better Hutton. The Pacific is only going to get worse next season, we could challenge for top spot in the division with that lineup and all it took was a big Hamonic trade + top-6 signing + top-4 defence signing.

Other than your trade for Hamonic that exactly what we should be doing. 

As for Hamonic no way NYI gives him up (a huge future piece) for so little future in return.  Every team in the market for him could out bid us.  It's going to take an Edler/Tanev at min.

Edler should be moved in a package for a younger right handed top 4 D.  Be it Gudbrason, Hamonic or even someone younger like Bowey.  Our main focus before trade deadline should be removing UFA's and picking up that top 4 right handed D. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I see rangers holding on to Yandle till the offseason and then going after Hamhuis as his replacement in the summer.  Yandle isn't making canucks cup contenders this year so we have no rush to try and trade for him when we can aswell just go after him in the off season.  

Other than your trade for Hamonic that exactly what we should be doing. 

As for Hamonic no way NYI gives him up (a huge future piece) for so little future in return.  Every team in the market for him could out bid us.  It's going to take an Edler/Tanev at min.

Edler should be moved in a package for a younger right handed top 4 D.  Be it Gudbrason, Hamonic or even someone younger like Bowey.  Our main focus before trade deadline should be removing UFA's and picking up that top 4 right handed D. 

I like to think NYI's hands are really tied and that a package around Hamhuis would be enough to entice them. They aren't getting good offers and surely the pressure is going to force Snow's hand and make him accept a trade like this.

If however they're fielding better offers then I'd be happy to make a deal around Edler if he's willing to waive his NTC.

Edler + Higgins + 2nd is PLENTY for Hamonic, we probably wouldn't need to throw in the 2nd. Then we HAVE to sign a top left handed defenceman because Hutton and Sbisa aren't good enough on their own.

Yandle - Hamonic

Hutton - Tanev

Sbisa - UFA

Bartkowski

Biega

Subban

14 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I like to think NYI's hands are really tied and that a package around Hamhuis would be enough to entice them. They aren't getting good offers and surely the pressure is going to force Snow's hand and make him accept a trade like this.

If however they're fielding better offers then I'd be happy to make a deal around Edler if he's willing to waive his NTC.

Edler + Higgins + 2nd is PLENTY for Hamonic, we probably wouldn't need to throw in the 2nd. Then we HAVE to sign a top left handed defenceman because Hutton and Sbisa aren't good enough on their own.

Yandle - Hamonic

Hutton - Tanev

Sbisa - UFA

Bartkowski

Biega

Subban

They don't have any pressure.  Hamonic is playing good still.  He said would stay as long as he has to.  Hamonic told the islander that he wanted a trade at the end of last year.  Hamhuis and upcoming UFA isn't even close to what other teams will pay.  Higgins doesn't really have any affect and the 2nd doesn't fullfill any really future need.  Your out to lunch if you think that offer is close.  

Snow wants youth for youth, not an expiring aged UFA in hammer.

so yes that's why a move edler . And then go hard after yandle. Moving edler hammer, Higgins vbrata and burrows gives this team over 20 mil in cap space. Plenty to throw at lucic and yandle. 

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

sure at what cost tho?

The Rangers commentators were so high on him, I doubt they'd give him up for less than a 1st round pick. Said his offensive game was obviously still lacking but it'll get there eventually, until then he's a fantastic young right shutdown defenceman and exactly the sort of player we need to help clear creases, win fights in corners and box out.

The Rangers are clearly built to win now, we'd have to give them pieces that helps them win now + future compensation for a former 10th overall pick.

I'd go so far as to do Vbrata + Bartkowski + 2nd round pick for McIlrath. We could also just straight up give them our 1st round pick which will be around 10th overall - I'd rather a slightly developed defenceman come in now in his early 20s than draft a puck moving defenceman who will take 3-5 years to hit the NHL. Of course, the Rangers would much prefer a Vbrata + Bartkowski deal. They get Bartkowski who can essentially play McIlrath's exact minutes and fill his role perfectly, but because of his future losses we throw in a top-6 forward in Vbrata rental and a 2nd rounder which is going to be a high one, as early as in the 30s.

Archived