The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Utica] Virtanen assigned to Utica for conditioning stint

Odd.

Vancouver, BC – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has assigned forward Jake Virtanen to the Utica Comets on a conditioning assignment.

Virtanen, 19, has played 19 games, recording four points (1-3-4) and 15 penalty minutes in his rookie season with Vancouver. During the 2014.15 season, Virtanen appeared in 50 games with the Calgary Hitmen of the WHL, where he scored 52 points (21-31-52) and logged 82 penalty minutes. He played 14 playoff games (5-8-13) for the Hitmen last season before joining the Comets Calder Cup run and playing another 10 postseason games (0-1-1).

The Abbotsford, B.C. native has missed the past four games due to injury. Virtanen was selected sixth overall by the Canucks in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=791666&hootPostID=8a716e635995cc358deea592e0b0dcf0

Hopefully he'll do good down in Utica. Most likely will get top 6 minutes.

I think this should be the measuring stick to see if he comes back to the big club or goes to the world juniors.

He's got 5 games down there to find his game before the December 19th deadline. He'll either be getting a plane ticket to Vancouver or to Helsinki.

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I believe he's there for 2 weeks only.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Smart move by the Canucks, he can go and get some confidence and play top line minutes before he comes back. I still think the plan is to send him to the world juniors if he is not injured.

Also an FYI For those who don't know the rules for a conditioning loan:

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

11 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I believe he's there for 2 weeks only.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie  10m10 minutes ago

VAN plan for Jake Virtanen conditioning stint in Utica is to get in two practices and two games through the weekend.

2 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Smart move by the Canucks, he can go and get some confidence and play top line minutes before he comes back. I still think the plan is to send him to the world juniors if he is not injured.

Also an FYI For those who don't know the rules for a conditioning loan:

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up guys.

6 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie  10m10 minutes ago

VAN plan for Jake Virtanen conditioning stint in Utica is to get in two practices and two games through the weekend.

I was thinking maybe keep in in Utica until the World Juniors and send him there. Bring him back to the Canucks after that

5 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

They better send him to the World Jrs after, would be dumb not to imo.

We don't need him right now and it will only help his confidence. 

In the chance Virtanen rips it up in the AHL, I hope the Canucks don't rush him back. Building confidence in the A, then playing a leadership role at Worlds is absolutely the best thing for his career,

1 minute ago, CanuckianOne said:

I was thinking maybe keep in in Utica until the World Juniors and send him there. Bring him back to the Canucks after that

can't leave him there long enough to be statistically significant or his lack of scoring will be even more of a sticking point.

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

In the chance Virtanen rips it up in the AHL, I hope the Canucks don't rush him back. Building confidence in the A, then playing a leadership role at Worlds is absolutely the best thing for his career,

Agreed, not like the Canucks are doing much this season anyways. He needs to get that feeling of putting up points again.

Archived