The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Utica] Virtanen assigned to Utica for conditioning stint

Odd.

12 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

If Travis Green can have him around PPG over the next five games and landing some big hits, then I'll really be looking forward to Green as coach of the future.

He's handling Shink great, Jensen seems to be improving, Gaunce is looking good and had a great playoff last year, Markstrom is a bit different as a goalie, but he came up with confidence, Baer of course, Friesen jumped from a 10 point player to a .5 PPGer under Green, Corrado was almost NHL-ready. Took the team to the Calder Cup finals. That's pretty good for 3 years. 

I've nothing against TG or against him eventually coaching the Canucks if he stays and maintains a good record. But coaching in the NHL and developing young players there, is a hell of a lot harder than doing it in the A.

Also PPG in the A doesn't translate to the NHL as you may well know. Jake needs a whole season, maybe 2 in the A and it is just unfortunate for him he hasn't had that option this season.

Many including myself, were excited to see him get his chance but his "hitting game" and his/our ambition to turn him into a power forward needs work and if we make the mistake of rushing him he may well end up like Zack i.e. someone who doesn't understand his role or how to maintain consistency.

For the good of the Canucks, barring any injuries I hope he goes to the WJC as well. The Canucks need to stop with this marry go round of who is in the pressbox. There is no stability there. Lines can'r develope chemestry when it changes almost to a game by game basis.

11 hours ago, duc_evo said:

Why is this a tread?

I know, it's like the long never ending circular discussion, just goes round and round. Other folks feel walked on, and a few are frightened, it is almost like they got some words confused with other words?

23 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Good for Benning to take advantage of a technicality.  Jake should have been in the AHL all along. 

It worked for Horvat last year. 

If he goes to the world junior, so much the better.  After Christmas, they can see how he has come along and decide whether to send him back to the Hitmen or not.  I expect he'll stay up.

Bo is the player he is today in part because of his stay in the AHL last year. We can only hope it has the same effect on Virtanen.

Good. He needs to play in the WJC.

It's nice to get hits but that isn't why we drafted him. He's gotten tons of top 6 opportunities and hasn't made much of them.

Go out there, play minutes, get goals and grab a medal. Come back for the season stretch and help us make the playoffs.

Archived