The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Penguins WTB: Top 4 D, Top 6 Skilled Winger

9 minutes ago, Shiftynifty said:

So we should keep Vrbata and Hamhuis and lose them as free agents? :rolleyes:

It's more of a possibility than you probably think. It's really going to depend on the trade deadline. It will depend on if we're in playoff contention (we still are believe it or not, our division's so horrible that we're sitting 3rd right now). It will depend on if there are buyers for these 2 players and willing to give a reasonable price for them.

At the very least, the cap of letting those 2 players go is over 9 million. That in itself is significant enough.

20 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It's more of a possibility than you probably think. It's really going to depend on the trade deadline. It will depend on if we're in playoff contention (we still are believe it or not, our division's so horrible that we're sitting 3rd right now). It will depend on if there are buyers for these 2 players and willing to give a reasonable price for them.

At the very least, the cap of letting those 2 players go is over 9 million. That in itself is significant enough.

I hope Benning has the foresight to move some vets even if we are in possibly in contention.  Guys like Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Burrows could garner a solid return from a contending team.  We will not be going deep with this group regardless and if we hang onto those guys to make some half-assed playoff attempt, we will en dup losing them for nothing and the re-build will take far longer. 

3 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

If kessel isnt an elite winger then they arent going to find anyone for crosby.

He's also an elite liability - the other half of the equation that does not exactly make life easier for a guy like Crosby, or whoever else is supposed to carry the floater.

Highest ozone starts of any forward, second weakest quality of competition....forever sheltered.   Barely break even possession numbers.  

What's shocking is that Pittsburgh are so oblivious.....still.  At least they tried to strengthen their bottom six - with guys like the Pastry around, you need it.

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I hope Benning has the foresight to move some vets even if we are in possibly in contention.  Guys like Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Burrows could garner a solid return from a contending team.  We will not be going deep with this group regardless and if we hang onto those guys to make some half-assed playoff attempt, we will en dup losing them for nothing and the re-build will take far longer. 

I would imagine that would depend on what we get in return. If the offers turn out weak and we are in playoff contention, then there's no point in trading them if it means at least giving our youth a taste of playoff hockey. That experience alone could potentially help their development in my opinion.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Vrbata and Edler for Scuderi, Pouliot and a 1st

Vrbata and Edler for Scuderi, Pouliot and a 1st

That's a rip off. Only way on hell edler is going to Pittsburgh would have to involve Olli mattaa 

Pittsburgh is actually a team I could see having interest in Hamhuis.

A cheaper option as far as top 4 D-men go.  2nd and a prospect maybe?

So guys that make team Canada's deepest defense ever are only worth a prospect? Again, mattaa must be included. 

8 minutes ago, apollo said:

That's a rip off. Only way on hell edler is going to Pittsburgh would have to involve Olli mattaa 

So guys that make team Canada's deepest defense ever are only worth a prospect? Again, mattaa must be included. 

They're not going to trade one of their best D-men for Hamhuis. What would be the point in that?

They want to add to their top four not take away from it.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They're not going to trade one of their best D-men for Hamhuis. What would be the point in that?

They want to add to their top four not take away from it.

Hmmm iono maybe I'm blinded by homerness but I genuinely think both edler and Hammer are worth Ollie + 

Edler or Hammer could propel them to a cup. Ollie can't. 

5 hours ago, Me_ said:

Kessel will drag any team down.

I think so, yeah. My impression after watching him in Toronto those years is, he must be one of the worst teammates in the league when the team goes through a losing streak. Just a mopey, insufferably miserable son of a bitch.

I agree with other saying Rutherford has absolutely gutted that team. It's getting late at the Pittsburgh Party, and it's going to be a very bad hangover.

At least they have their one cup to puke into.

Yeah they have no first. They need a top 6 forward, a top 4 D, and a 1st at least. That sounds like us.... Besides trading Malkin, there is NOTHING they can do. NOTHING at all. Personally I think it's just a matter of time before he's gone from Pittsburgh. 

Since this is a discussion, I am going to throw an idea into this:

Hamhuis, Vrbata, McCann, 1st

For Malkin. 

Hammer and/or Vrby extended makes this trade worth it for them. Also the 1st is NOT lottery protected. 

Gotta give to get. This would be a smart trade for both sides. We have no replacement for Henrik. This can solve that. They need depth. Can also solve that too.

48 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Yeah they have no first. They need a top 6 forward, a top 4 D, and a 1st at least. That sounds like us.... Besides trading Malkin, there is NOTHING they can do. NOTHING at all. Personally I think it's just a matter of time before he's gone from Pittsburgh. 

Since this is a discussion, I am going to throw an idea into this:

Hamhuis, Vrbata, McCann, 1st

For Malkin. 

Hammer and/or Vrby extended makes this trade worth it for them. Also the 1st is NOT lottery protected. 

Gotta give to get. This would be a smart trade for both sides. We have no replacement for Henrik. This can solve that. They need depth. Can also solve that too.

If Malkin gets moved he's going to garner a much better return than that. 

Remember their awful proposal for Kesler? I think they will be low-balling the hell out of teams this year considering they have even less to offer. They don't even have a 1st rounder, and they sure as hell won't offer their top prospects. Nope, only fools will trade with the Pens. If I deal with the Pens, it's hardball all the way, offer something of real value or get lost. We've been taken on trades too much in the past few years. 

12 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Pouliot is a former 1st round 8th overall.  No way Pitt does that trade.  Two first rounders  for Edler and a rental Verbata?   Oh and they throw in a journeyman D...

Van has to sweeten to make that happen. What else you got?

Vancouver may be getting hose not Pitts. Edler is worth a 1st + and Vrbata will be worth a 2nd+ maybe even a 1st if we retain some. Vrbata will also go up in value the more goals he scores before TDL.

Archived