The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Penguins WTB: Top 4 D, Top 6 Skilled Winger

13 hours ago, smithers joe said:

what team are you talking about and which moves were not your personal favourites....from a hockey experts point of view?

Pittsburgh.

Look at some of their trades.  Shipping out picks, prospects for vets.  Insanity.

Cannot say much about the Staal deal, he wanted money and he wanted out.

But since 2013, Picks for Murray, who left.  the 1st and arguably agostino for Iginla who left, Jokinnen for another pick, A pick for Stempniak, 2 picks for Goc, Neal for Spaling who is gone and Hornqvist who is...not panning out, Winnik for Picks, Despres for Lovejoy, Cole for Bortuzzo and...a pick and finally Harrington and Kapanen and picks for Kessel + who is not panning out.

In all of those trades every pick leaving the Pens was as high as a 1st and no lower than a 5th, in every trade the Pens actually managed to get older.  And that is in 2 count em 2 seasons.  That is a LOT of depth and a LOT of futures going out just to get older isn't it?

When I say the Pens have given up depth and futures I meant it.  While maybe none of these picks or players would ever pan out, they've gutted every chance of keeping competitive with two of the greatest players in our generation in Malkin and Crosby and bad contract management.

11 hours ago, EdgarM said:

HaHaHa!  Too funny. I find it hilarious that you who wish are team to "tank" so we can get generational talent such as Crosby,Malkin and Kessel do not see the irony of this thread. I guess a player such as Crosby is NOT a savior after all.:lol:

I'd take Crosby and his one Stanley Cup over the number of Stanley Cups the Canucks have had over the past 40+ years.

#tank

4 hours ago, Retinalz said:

Take 2017 1st? Toronto only gets it is Pitts meets certain conditions. IDK what they are

*If Pittsburgh qualifies for the 2016 postseason, Toronto will receive the Penguins’ 2016 first-round draft pick; and the Penguins will receive Toronto’s 2016 second-round selection. The second-round pick would be the one Toronto originally acquired from Pittsburgh for Winik.

*Should Pittsburgh miss the 2016 playoffs, Toronto will INSTEAD receive the Penguins’ 2017 first-round pick; with Pittsburgh getting Toronto’s 2017 second-round selection in return.

*If the Penguins were to miss the postseason the next two years, Toronto would receive Pittsburgh’s 2017 second-round draft pick and Pittsburgh would not receive a draft pick.

So realistically the pens don't know if they will have a 1st in 2016 or 2017. But they might have both. Won't find out until they actually make the playoffs. 

16 hours ago, qwijibo said:

If Malkin gets moved he's going to garner a much better return than that. 

No he's not. He's a superstar, but he's not Wayne Gretzky. The last superstar who was traded for more than 4 pieces alone was...? Especially when those pieces can all turn out to fill holes they desperately need and can give them great depth. Yeah, I'd say it's worth it.

I have a feeling that, in less than a few years time, the Penguin's won't be considered a high end team. They have no future prospects to take place of their vets, and they keep trading away picks like they're candy. Not to mention, they have so many massive contracts that it has to be difficult to fill out the rest of the team each year.... and without prospects. lol

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I have a feeling that, in less than a few years time, the Penguin's won't be considered a high end team.

I don't consider them a high end team right now.

I think they're where the Canucks were at in 2013-2014. On the decline but refusing to admit it.

Burrows would compliment Crosby well IMO Crosby seems to mesh better with guys that go hard to the net and dirty areas or even Hansen even tho I think Perron and Hansen are similar in style but vrbata heading out is most convenient to us no emotional attachment and his term with us is up come end of the season 

2 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

No he's not. He's a superstar, but he's not Wayne Gretzky. The last superstar who was traded for more than 4 pieces alone was...? Especially when those pieces can all turn out to fill holes they desperately need and can give them great depth. Yeah, I'd say it's worth it.

It's not the number of pieces. It's the quality. 2 aging UFA's that wouldn't be re-signed, a nice but largely untested prospect and a 1st isn't going to do it. If you think that's the best offer they'd get if he was on the market then your homer glasses are way to thick 

@DeNiro

pic_zpsssvuma3n.jpg

Edler 3rd in team scoring.

Not to mention averages the highest ice time per game, more than 3 minutes more than the next guy. And nearly 4 minutes of short handed time per game plus 2.5 minutes on the PP. 

...the remark about Edler not helping to create a winning environment, might as well trade away the Sedins too then lol. It's not solely about winning, about having mentors thus the Oilers comparison. Already have one of the worst defense cores in the NHL. Take away Edler and it set's us back a lot. The time it'd take to get even with a decent blueline back would drastically hold us down for a handful of years preventing any chances of improving within those years.

And getting Pouliot would allow us to draft a forward? Sure, but that doesn't help the defense lol. Look at the Avs, have all the forwards but no defense and look at them. And again, likewise the Oilers. Their is a clear lack of quality on the backend in our organization and suggesting to deplete it more by moving out or best dman is nonsensical. 

I get frustrated at Edler as much as the next guy but we have to live with it. Just happen to single him out the most even though he's the anchor to our backend. He's a perfect #2 dman...and 3rd in team scoring on pace for 48 points. Idc what anyone says. That's incredible considering all things. 

58 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

@DeNiro

pic_zpsssvuma3n.jpg

Edler 3rd in team scoring.

Not to mention averages the highest ice time per game, more than 3 minutes more than the next guy. And nearly 4 minutes of short handed time per game plus 2.5 minutes on the PP. 

And you don't think playing with the Sedins is having an impact on his point total?

Yes he eats alot of tough minutes and would be hard to replace, but pretending he's a number 1 D-man has been a problem for this team for years. We need someone who can play well at both ends of the ice all the time, not just in streaks.

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And you don't think playing with the Sedins is having an impact on his point total?

Yes he eats alot of tough minutes and would be hard to replace, but pretending he's a number 1 D-man has been a problem for this team for years. We need someone who can play well at both ends of the ice all the time, not just in streaks.

And that's the problem. I don't think anyways said he's a #1. It's people that expect him to be that but he's not that so he won't be that lol. Once you take away that and realize he's a #2, all of a sudden there's no complaints.

3 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

And that's the problem. I don't think anyways said he's a #1. It's people that expect him to be that but he's not that so he won't be that lol. Once you take away that and realize he's a #2, all of a sudden there's no complaints.

The contract management gave him said he was going to be our number 1.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The contract management gave him said he was going to be our number 1.

Well that was previous management that gave him his contract.

Either way, Edler is infact "our" #1 even though he's actually a #2. Again, just goes to show the lack of depth/quality we have.

1 minute ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Well that was previous management that gave him his contract.

Either way, Edler is infact "our" #1 even though he's actually a #2. Again, just goes to show the lack of depth/quality we have.

Edler is top 15 in scoring for a defenceman while playing almost 25 minutes a game. He would be a number one on a lot of teams in the NHL, That being said he would be a number 2 on a contender

Archived