The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The all-encompassing Steven Stamkos contract/rumour/trade thread

CVzQPKmWwAI12SX.png

...self explanatory image.

If Stammer really does end up going to Toronto, hats off to him. Leaving a really good thing they have in Tampa to go back home and to his homeland where he will be put to the test as it definitely won't be easy. Wish more Canadian players had it in them to come home. 

Not to mention Stamkos and Cooper aren't really on the same page and they haven't been in the past as well: http://www.tsn.ca/are-stamkos-and-cooper-on-the-same-page-1.405007.

Don't care what you say as a coach but you don't move a superstar out of position like that and treat him to something he doesn't prefer. Maybe it's a sign they know the writing is on the wall? 

The prospect of just watching Stamkos walk is beggaring.  If Yzerman cannot get him re-signed by teh trade deadline as much as it is amazing to consider he almost has to pull the trigger and trade him.  Allowing him to simply walk away from the organization or risk it would be incredible to consider.  Historically spoken of in years to come as the wtf moment of the decade, much like the Sens allowing Chara to walk and keeping Redden only not so star powered.

Maybe he can make a 1 to 1 swap of Malkin for Stammer and let him become Rutherfords problem while keeping a top tier elite center

Stamkos wants a cup. That won't happen in Toronto. He will want 12ish million and with the cap that's way to much to build a contender till the cap reaches 100m which will be after 2020 most likely.

If he wants to go to a Canadian team Winnipeg or Calgary imo are best bets for next while 5ish years. Even Canucks if Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust all leave that could be enough cap to spend and he gets a very good city  to live in. Although the hometown factor and being the star to win a cup after all these years could really appealing. Babcock great coach as well although I don't think they were together in 2010(Did he make it?) or 2014(Injury to his leg). If he goes and the trash leaves the club. Then watch out I bet Stamkos factor gets a few big UFAs.

8 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Let him. How much did kessel cost the leafs? Double it.  And then sign him to a contract that handcuffs the team for a decade. Be my guest toronto. 

4 first rounders and 2 second rounders? Yikes. If I'm Yzerman, if its a choice between the Coach and Stamkos, Stamkos wins everytime. I would do whatever it takes to keep him in a Bolts jersey.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Have there really been that many Stamkos rumour threads that we need to have an official all encompassing one?

Why do you think this thread would prevent the meatballs from creating a new thread every time there is a Stamkos update when they can't even put a Canucks player update in the existing thread dedicated to that player?

Many things will have to happen before Stamkos signs with leafs. He wants to play C but Babcock would have to agree to that. Babcock may see Stamkos a better fit as a Wing just like Cooper does. 

If it's Stamkos' intention to leave Tampa and go to TO then I don't see him waiving his NMC at the deadline to different team. He won't want to bounce around like that. 

Regarding the "like" button on TSN twitter feed, that happens by accident a lot. He could have been reading the story and accidentally pushed the like button. I wouldn't think too much of that. 

Nick Kypreos said a great thing yesterday on hockey central. He said Tampa can pay him 11.5 person but they cant get money from corporate sponsors like Toronto. He said Toronto can pay him 11.5 and also get money from businesses like Rogers, Air Canada. So for example he gets 11.5 but he gets 3 m from Rogers and 2 m air Canada hes making 17.5 per. Tampa Cant do that because they don't have those kind of sponsors. He said teams like Toronto, Vancouver can do these thing because of sponsor ship.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hockey-central-will-stamkos-sign-with-leafs-or-stay-with-lightning/

13 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Nick Kypreos said a great thing yesterday on hockey central. He said Tampa can pay him 11.5 person but they cant get money from corporate sponsors like Toronto. He said Toronto can pay him 11.5 and also get money from businesses like Rogers, Air Canada. So for example he gets 11.5 but he gets 3 m from Rogers and 2 m air Canada hes making 17.5 per. Tampa Cant do that because they don't have those kind of sponsors. He said teams like Toronto, Vancouver can do these thing because of sponsor ship.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hockey-central-will-stamkos-sign-with-leafs-or-stay-with-lightning/

If there is an email from the team owners/operators to other branches of the company saying "sign this guy to an advertising deal" the league would consider it cap circumvention and crack down extremely hard. Multiple draft picks and fines I'd think.

Archived