The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The all-encompassing Steven Stamkos contract/rumour/trade thread

Just now, gurn said:

If there is an email from the team owners/operators to other branches of the company saying "sign this guy to an advertising deal" the league would consider it cap circumvention and crack down extremely hard. Multiple draft picks and fines I'd think.

he said teams can move around from that

Media and people from Toronto and area often like to think the rules don't apply to people from Toronto and area.

I'd also point out that Kipper is former heavyweight/enforcer and has had a few concussions that may mess with his thought process from time to time.

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

If there is an email from the team owners/operators to other branches of the company saying "sign this guy to an advertising deal" the league would consider it cap circumvention and crack down extremely hard. Multiple draft picks and fines I'd think.

It's fairly well known that teams in big (particularly Canadian) markets will have more sponsorship deals available for players. 

How often do we hear Canuck players selling cars etc on the radio here in Van? You think they'd get those same deals/dollars in say Phoenix or Carolina saying "Hey, I really like the guys at Desert Ball Sweat Ford and I love my new F150!"?

I mean team management isn't going to outright demand a sponsorship but....

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

That's not really what's happening. 

What is happening is that Stamkos would rather sign somewhere where he has a greater chance of getting sponsorships. Tampa is a pitifully small hockey market compared to the Centre of the Universe. While the Leafs organization itself obviously can't connect Stamkos with sponsorships, the opportunities there are exponentially higher. A bona fide super star playing in the league's largest hockey market would have businesses clamouring to sign him to an endorsement deal. 

In Tampa he might get the odd sponsorship from things here and there. In Toronto he'd have his pick of the litter and make absolute bank on all the sponsorship deals he could get. What they're saying is Stamkos would get more money overall from signing in a hockey crazed market as opposed to Tampa.

I understand why Stamkos would like to move to a huge media market, but it was being portrayed that Kipper said it would be "part of the deal".

But given the increase in Stamkos's add revenue maybe he signs with the leafs for $5 mill a year, just to help stock the team?

Just now, gurn said:

I understand why Stamkos would like to move to a huge media market, but it was being portrayed that Kipper said it would be "part of the deal".

But given the increase in Stamkos's add revenue maybe he signs with the leafs for $5 mill a year, just to help stock the team?

I guarantee you Stamkos will not be signing anywhere for less than what Clarkson makes. Especially the "Lets overpay everybody" Leafs.

As much as I love hating the Leafs, Stamkos going home would be a good story and watching him under Babcock's system could be exciting. I know Toronto is still floating around the bottom of their division/conference, but they're only probably 6 points out of a wildcard spot and watching them play is completely different, and they're winning games even with big question marks: like weak netminding. 

Saying that if Stamkos simply walks at this age, without being traded or re-signed, then Yzerman will have just GMed himself into the hotseat regardless of past accomplishment. 

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Nick Kypreos said a great thing yesterday on hockey central. He said Tampa can pay him 11.5 person but they cant get money from corporate sponsors like Toronto. He said Toronto can pay him 11.5 and also get money from businesses like Rogers, Air Canada. So for example he gets 11.5 but he gets 3 m from Rogers and 2 m air Canada hes making 17.5 per. Tampa Cant do that because they don't have those kind of sponsors. He said teams like Toronto, Vancouver can do these thing because of sponsor ship.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hockey-central-will-stamkos-sign-with-leafs-or-stay-with-lightning/

Yes, I watched this also. What Kipper said goes without saying. Not only in TO but any big hockey market, (with TO being the biggest of course) has this advantage. The Leafs can't get officialy involved it this process but it's common sense that Stamkos would make millions in advertising money that he doesn't in Tampa. Companies would lineup to sign Stamkos as their spokesperson. You hear Bo Horvat on 1040 everyday talking about his car or the Sedins with their Volvo etc. That's extra money that the players make which they would not necessarily make in a market like Florida. Stamkos would make millions that way BUT Leafs couldn't be officially involved in those deal between Stamkos and Leafs' sponsors. It's all wink, wink, nod, nod. Otherwise Leafs would be facing cap circumvention charges.

Florida has very favorable tax laws so that would all have to be considered in a potential deal as well. If all things were equal, how much would Stamkos take home at end of year with the tax laws in different countries , States or Provinces.

A lot of things to consider but Stamkos does hold all the cards now, particularly with his NMC .

Just now, hatedkid666 said:

Will the lightning try to trade him before FA so they could get a return for him. And if so what will the leafs put in the package 

Nothing, why would the Leafs trade for him when they can get him for free at end of year. Stamkos has full NMC, meaning he can't be traded without his permission. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Nothing, why would the Leafs trade for him when they can get him for free at end of year. Stamkos has full NMC, meaning he can't be traded without his permission. 

sucks to suck for yzerman. Why is he constantly losing star players (st.louis)

Just now, hatedkid666 said:

sucks to suck for yzerman. Why is he constantly losing star players (st.louis)

He didn't lose St Louis for nothing, that was a great trade by Yzerman. He took in a haul for an ageing player at the end of his career.

Separate threads for when there are actual rumours or reports to discuss is fine. Giant threads with everything thrown together tends to lead to anything new getting reported getting lost in the shuffle and people just re-posting in new threads anyways. If you want a general discussion thread in the "Around the NHL section" of the forum for Stamkos that's fine.

Also, please remember to use tags when posting in this forum section. As a long time user of this forum this should be second nature by now.

Archived