The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With an incredibly weak Pacific, Benning should load up for one more Sedin run

Sedin Brothers

Despite all the lows, here we are sitting just a few points out of first in the Pacific. There are a few D-men that we could probably pick up, such as Harmonic, etc. There's also some top end depth players who are young that can be here for the future on the trade block (Evander Kane, Jeff Skinner). I know people want to lose and tank for what MIGHT be. But looks at this from a different perspective. There's also pieces we could have as rentals, like an Eric Staal (though much more far-fetched).

Yes we have young pieces and why trade those young pieces? Well because they haven't been proven yet. As good as Shinkaurk, Cassels Subban, etc. COULD be, trading them in a package for a player like Harmonic would definitely better the team in the long run IMO.

Dallas was very mediocre last year with a top line that generated top 5 points in the NHL, like the Canucks have this year. One year later with the addition of Oduya, Sharp, etc, they are the best team in the NHL.

IF WE AREN'T TRADING THE SEDIN'S that's fine, but we might as well make the most out of this year, and their time here. WE WILL NEVER TANK COMPLETELY WITH THEM HERE. They won't allow it. I bet Benning is seeing the same thing. We don't need to tank to be productive.  So we might as well win or try to be competitive. Even if it takes trading certain old core members, the time is now or never. A 10th pick and 16th pick isn't that different folks.

Go ahead and bash this opinion. Fact is we are only a Sutter return, an additional top 6 scorer, or a defender away from being true competitors in the West.

7 minutes ago, Sedin Brothers said:

Fact is we are only a Sutter return, an additional top 6 scorer, or a defender away from being true competitors in the West.

Is that it?

How about they just do nothing and let the chips fall as they will. I am ok with waiting out a few bad years to develop something. Sedins had their chance. Many players never get a sniff of the Cup Finals. If they still make the playoffs this year, I don't want it to be because they acquired Eric Weinrich or Keith Carney at the expense of some picks.

Just now, RonMexico said:

Is that it?

How about they just do nothing and let the chips fall as they will. I am ok with waiting out a few bad years to develop something. Sedins had their chance. Many players never get a sniff of the Cup Finals. If they still make the playoffs this year, I don't want it to be because they acquired Eric Weinrich or Keith Carney at the expense of some picks.

Would you trade Shinkaurk and a 2nd or 3rd for Skinner?

I agree with you in the sense that if your team is clearly better than the rest of your division, you can get to the WCF relatively easily. Just like Anaheim last season -- it took them 9 games to reach the WCF.

But I think this team is way too weak on defence to even get out of the Pacific division. And considering how hard it is to "load up" on defence, I think your proposition is basically impossible, at least for this season.

And, that's why I sometimes lament the fact that we weren't able to get Hamilton. All we had to do was to do better than a mid first round pick + 2 2nd round picks. Defenceman like Hamilton don't come out on bargain like that often so if you had to pay a bit of a premium, you go for it.

I guess we didn't really have a pick that was better than 15th overall so we would have had to offer on one of Horvat or Virtanen instead of a first round pick and I totally get why JB wasn't OK with trading one of the two (I'm also not OK with trading them). But you sometimes wonder if we could have made it work somehow. Maybe our 1st (Boeser) + McCann + 2016 2nd for Hamilton and a decent centre prospect from them? I guess this would've been an overpayment.

Anyhow, with Hamilton, this defence would look pretty good (at least on paper),

Hamhuis-Hamilton

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa/Bartkowski

With Hamonic being available, I feel like it is another opportunity to turn the defence around in short order but looks like Snow is asking for at least one of Edler and Tanev, so there's no way we can load up on D to go for another run.

Just now, TOMapleLaughs said:

Is the pacific truly that weak?  Because these weak teams are either taking it to us or are coming awfully close to beating us meeting after meeting now.  If it was weak, then we'd handle them easily.  Right now we cannot handle ANY team easily.  So load up?  lol

That's how you get better. Look at how we've been playing, and look at the standings. You can't tell me adding Harmonic or a Skinner/Kane wouldn't put this team over the top.

Just now, Sedin Brothers said:

That's how you get better. Look at how we've been playing, and look at the standings. You can't tell me adding Harmonic or a Skinner/Kane wouldn't put this team over the top.

Would propel us to the 2nd round at least.  you would think. challenge for WCF?

maybe not.  Skinner might get crushed and we gg out lol.  LA vs skinner eek.

7 minutes ago, Sedin Brothers said:

Would you trade Shinkaurk and a 2nd or 3rd for Skinner?

No. As good as a rookie season he had, he is made of glass. Shinkaruk can easily be as good as Skinner is now which isnt saying much. Plus give up a pick? No thanks.

Just now, RonMexico said:

No. As good as a rookie season he had, he is made of glass. Shinkaruk can easily be as good as Skinner is now which isnt saying much. Plus give up a pick? No thanks.

I bet if Skinner played on the Sedin line for a full season he could reach 40+ goals. Even better finisher than Vrbata

5 minutes ago, Sedin Brothers said:

I think there is another run with the Sedins being possible, but if there's no indication that our young prospects are ready to become stars at the NHL level, then it is not now.

Not to mention, you're not getting those players for free.  It would cost us the young players we need.  We get take on rentals, and that's what would happen when we're truly ready for a run.

The Pacific isn't weak, Phoenix, Edmonton, Calgary (and us) are simply mediocre to sub par. LAK SJS and even ANA are all decent-good teams. And even if we did 'load up' and somehow manage to get through the Pacific ( :rolleyes: ), there's still the central teams who are all, short of the Avs, better teams than us now or 'loaded up'.

Just no.

Stay the course.

Archived