The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With an incredibly weak Pacific, Benning should load up for one more Sedin run

Sedin Brothers

1 hour ago, Sedin Brothers said:

Despite all the lows, here we are sitting just a few points out of first in the Pacific. There are a few D-men that we could probably pick up, such as Harmonic, etc. There's also some top end depth players who are young that can be here for the future on the trade block (Evander Kane, Jeff Skinner). I know people want to lose and tank for what MIGHT be. But looks at this from a different perspective. There's also pieces we could have as rentals, like an Eric Staal (though much more far-fetched).

Yes we have young pieces and why trade those young pieces? Well because they haven't been proven yet. As good as Shinkaurk, Cassels Subban, etc. COULD be, trading them in a package for a player like Harmonic would definitely better the team in the long run IMO.

Dallas was very mediocre last year with a top line that generated top 5 points in the NHL, like the Canucks have this year. One year later with the addition of Oduya, Sharp, etc, they are the best team in the NHL.

IF WE AREN'T TRADING THE SEDIN'S that's fine, but we might as well make the most out of this year, and their time here. WE WILL NEVER TANK COMPLETELY WITH THEM HERE. They won't allow it. I bet Benning is seeing the same thing. We don't need to tank to be productive.  So we might as well win or try to be competitive. Even if it takes trading certain old core members, the time is now or never. A 10th pick and 16th pick isn't that different folks.

Go ahead and bash this opinion. Fact is we are only a Sutter return, an additional top 6 scorer, or a defender away from being true competitors in the West.

Gillis ? Is that you ?

Not now..

We wait a few years and get some nice picks. When the Sedins need to renew their contracts, thats when we build a contender. Sedins will hopefully take a huge paycut to win a cup here. Something like 2-3M for 3 years. At that time we will have some nice prospects and cap to build around. In 3-4 years we could look like this.

Shinkaruk McCann Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Sedin Sedin XXXXX

XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX

Edler Tanev

Hutton Sbisa

Subban Tryamkin

Demko

Markstrom

Hopefully we can find ourselves a true #1 Dman by then. Or maybe Hutton is the guy. But with our cap space and prospects and the Sedins taking paycuts we can do something special. Lets just go with the flow for now. Matthews would look sweet in a canucks uniform, or chychurn :)

36 minutes ago, Sedin Brothers said:

People that mention us being not ready to face top teams if we went all-in don't get the point. So many one goal losses and OT losses.. and people think adding a Harmonic or Skinner would change the outcomes?

Oh, we get the point. You just don't get that it's not only about beating the Pacific but also being better in a 7 game series against the top teams in the league (and staying consistent across 4 rounds of playoffs to be able to do so). Sure, we could add Hamonic, but it'd cost us one of Tanev or Edler and then a prospect like Horvat, McCann, etc. since that's what the rumour is of their ask.

You don't just add players good enough to have a reasonable cap hit without taking something else away, and no, that doesn't mean it'll all happen for Hamhuis and Vrbata plus some picks either.

What a pile of crap.

Who cares if the Pacific is weak? You have to get through more than the Pacific to win anything that matters.

And I think you are underestimating how weak WE are. You have to win games in the playoffs to go anywhere. Here's where we stand in percentage of games won:

1. Dallas - 75%

15. Nashville - 50%

20. Arizona - 46%
21. Edmonton - 41%
25. Anaheim - 39%
27. Columbus - 38%
28. Vancouver - 37%
29. Toronto - 36%
30. Carolina - 36%

And guess what? In reality, we're in even worse shape than the above suggests! We managed to catch Calgary, L.A., and Anaheim in terrible funks right at the beginning of the season, and started off 3-0-1. Since the 5-game mark, we've won 31% of the games.

AND...we just lost our 3rd best player at our weakest position (D), on a long-term injury...possibly the season.

45 minutes ago, D-Money said:

AND...we just lost our 3rd best player at our weakest position (D), on a long-term injury...possibly the season.

Out the season is a stretch. Burr was out a month when he broke his jaw. But the idea is still ludicrous.

3 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

Despite all the lows, here we are sitting just a few points out of first in the Pacific. There are a few D-men that we could probably pick up, such as Harmonic, etc. There's also some top end depth players who are young that can be here for the future on the trade block (Evander Kane, Jeff Skinner). I know people want to lose and tank for what MIGHT be. But looks at this from a different perspective. There's also pieces we could have as rentals, like an Eric Staal (though much more far-fetched).

Yes we have young pieces and why trade those young pieces? Well because they haven't been proven yet. As good as Shinkaurk, Cassels Subban, etc. COULD be, trading them in a package for a player like Harmonic would definitely better the team in the long run IMO.

Dallas was very mediocre last year with a top line that generated top 5 points in the NHL, like the Canucks have this year. One year later with the addition of Oduya, Sharp, etc, they are the best team in the NHL.

IF WE AREN'T TRADING THE SEDIN'S that's fine, but we might as well make the most out of this year, and their time here. WE WILL NEVER TANK COMPLETELY WITH THEM HERE. They won't allow it. I bet Benning is seeing the same thing. We don't need to tank to be productive.  So we might as well win or try to be competitive. Even if it takes trading certain old core members, the time is now or never. A 10th pick and 16th pick isn't that different folks.

Go ahead and bash this opinion. Fact is we are only a Sutter return, an additional top 6 scorer, or a defender away from being true competitors in the West.

We are in better position to load up in the offseason, tons of cap space, hopefully some additional draft picks with deadline deals, we have the chance to completely overhaul our roster in the upcoming offseason. Don't forget Benning has been scouting this draft class heavily, and he even thinks its as deep as last year. 

I agree we should sit tight. We did it despite horrendous injuries last season and who is to say we can't do it again this season.

I would rather we held pat and JB did deals for picks at the deadline. (if we fall out of contention) 

We have just beaten one of the winningest teams in the league despite being short of Suter and Sbisa,two players who we know make a difference to the team, in physicality and scoring. We also have a very strong 4th line and two capable goalies.

Now if Bo, Baertschi, Vbrata and maybe even Higgins start coming onto a strong game we might surprise a few teams.

Hopefully things are looking up and we get Dan back in about 4-6 weeks time. At least he shouldn't be off his feet for long with a facial injury.

8 minutes ago, JV77 said:

man after a month of being terrible, we have only won 2 straight games now.  Why does this fan base jump the gun so quickly in either situation?

In the Torts year, we were 12-1-2 in Dec I believe, and we all know what happened.

A lot of these Canuck fans grew up watching other teams. keep that in mind.  
Most this fanbase is from elsewhere and transplants, like Blake Price, grew up in Winnipeg , is a Jets fan but is now one of the main radio voices of the canucks. so theres a built in bandwagon aspect because so many canadians move to Vancouver from other crappier cities. when we see the Canucks not even trying out on the ice and mailing it in guys can move back to cheering for the teams they grew up watching like the Habs/Jets etc..

No I don't think this team is a contender, and trying to acquire pieces for a playoff run is a mistake.

We would have to trade away too much of our future.

Benning should continue with the current retooling program, with a focus on acquiring defensemen through the draft or by trading some of our veteran assets at the deadline or if we make the playoffs, in the summer.

I wouldn't load up for anyone for one following reason: if the Canucks is able to keep the score close against its Pacific Division opponents and able to keep Central Division close in most games, I do not see why we should load up.   All it takes is to beat two teams in its divisional opponents in the playoffs for the Canucks to have only one try against Central division in a Conference Final.   There are prospects that are NHL-ready waiting to take up the spot and who knows, they could exceed the expectation and be able to carry the team in the back in term as secondary scoring goes along with the Sedin ability to take over as proven in recent games.    The only help is the defence and if Benning can find a suitable replacement that Weber need to be gone, I would be up for it as long as it is not being traded for any draft picks.    I would give Pedan, Biega, and/or Fedun a chance to show their worth before exploring for outside help through the trade.  If three of them fails the test then we will look for some help on the back end. 

For as long as the Pacific Division remains weak, the Canucks will always have a chance.  It all takes is two playoff series win for them to truly begin to fight for a SCF berth.  They could be a divisional leader if it is not for too many OTL.   So it's pointless to load up and take a chance with this roster because sooner or later, other teams will take over the top of the chain that the Canucks used to hold for a long time.  Comets had a long playoff run last year, and a call-up from a few of them will go a long way to help this roster based on that experience.  

Yep, wait n see, IMO.  Barring injuries, the Sedin's don't appear to be done in the near future, like many were worried about.  Whether it can happen this year (doubtful) or within the next two (possible) for this team to have a very strong second line, or to have that second line take over 1st line duties to allow the Sedins to play 2nd line minutes and 1st line PP, which spreads opponent defensive strength away from shutting the Sedins (and thereby the team) down in the playoffs, we could then make a decent run.

We need to see continued growth from Sbisa and Sutton, and of course our young offensive guys.  We need to have much improved breakout of our own end, and stop with the bonehead giveaways (like we have in the bad old Messier days).  Maybe something can be filled with an off-season UFA 1st- or more likely 2nd-pairing D signing for next year.  But I can't see Benning messing up his draft this year by trying to move for a good player or two to make a run now.

I dunno.  I really don't think our team is good enuff for any kind of extended run.  Unless we are somehow are able to magically add an Ovechiken up front and a Shea Weber on D, but we all know that's not going to happen.  Also, I don't really want to part with our good prospects for an aging pricey veteran and I'm not sure we have any cap space to add an impact player.

If we're lucky, hopefully in the next 1-2 seasons, some of our current young guns such as McCann, Jake the Snake, BoHo and Hutton will make big steps in becoming very good NHLers (don't really see it happening this year) and if the Sedins can tread water and maintain their current production, we might have a chance.  I dunno though, might be hard to see those 2 factors align at the right time.  The timing was a bit off the last time as well, kind of like when we had the WCE in their primes, but the Sedins were not ready to be front line players.  When the Sedins started to blossom and had a spike in their production, the WCE had a big dip in their's.  The lockout year was really bad timing for us as well.

5 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

I get what you're saying. I think we don't worry too much about this year & concentrate on next year. Sedins will still be Sedins next year & the young will be more experienced & ready. As well we will have much more cap flex after this season to make trades & pick up UFA's...

4 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

We just lost 11 of 13 and fans are still talking about making a run?  Wow. 

But we just outscored the New York Rangers 2-1 in the third period of the last game we played? THE NEW YORK RANGERS!!! They're like a real good team you know. Like real real good. And we beat them. If we can beat them, we can beat anyone!!!
This one period proves we are elite.

5 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

I'm not so sure about that...more 2-3 forwards, 1-2 defenceman and goalie away form being a threat to MAYBE win a round. 

I also question, with the team being against the cap, it's highly unlikely they could bring anyone in without horribly overpaying for a marginal player.  

The time was between 2010 and 2013. 

I know it's hard for some to come to grips with but the window is closed.  Shut.  Not opening again for at a minimum 3+ years.

Making the playoffs is only part of the story...beating those heavy grinding teams is what kills us and we just aren't built for it even if we make the big dance.  History has shown us that no amount of magical twin power can save us when they are the only thing we can consistently rely on.

Going "all in" this year and mortgaging the club's future, turns us into the western version of the Maple Leafs, something I don't think any of us want.

3 minutes ago, Industrious1 said:

The time was between 2010 and 2013. 

I know it's hard for some to come to grips with but the window is closed.  Shut.  Not opening again for at a minimum 3+ years.

Making the playoffs is only part of the story...beating those heavy grinding teams is what kills us and we just aren't built for it even if we make the big dance.  History has shown us that no amount of magical twin power can save us when they are the only thing we can consistently rely on.

Going "all in" this year and mortgaging the club's future, turns us into the western version of the Maple Leafs, something I don't think any of us want.

There are no short cuts.  Linden said that and he's right.

Archived