The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Guillaume Brisebois

BenQc

Hate to be a pessimist but I don't think he's ever going to be a full-time NHLer. Maybe full-time AHLer with a couple of spot starts but I just don't see him playing over 200 NHL games. Prove me wrong Guillaume.

He is on a terrible team in the Q so maybe his game picks up in a couple seasons time, but he's not going to get an NHL-sniff for another 3-5 years anyway.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hate to be a pessimist but I don't think he's ever going to be a full-time NHLer. Maybe full-time AHLer with a couple of spot starts but I just don't see him playing over 200 NHL games. Prove me wrong Guillaume.

He is on a terrible team in the Q so maybe his game picks up in a couple seasons time, but he's not going to get an NHL-sniff for another 3-5 years anyway.

What a comical, pretentious comment with all due respect.   

You're not 'right' or 'wrong', you just have literally no idea whether he'll be an AHL or NHL asset, let alone naming a 200 game threshold lol  - extremely pretentious.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

You're not 'right' or 'wrong', you just have literally no idea whether he'll be an AHL or NHL asset, let alone naming a 200 game threshold lol  - extremely pretentious.

Nobody does. Benning doesn't even know when he drafts him.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I realize it's VERY early in the kid's career, and that an opinion based on a few junior games is probably not very heavily weighted. That's just my hunch based on historical statistics of 3rd liners cracking the NHL consistently and how he's played so far.

Good luck to him but we'd be very lucky if he pans out to become a top-4 defenceman. Very lucky. You can't deny that.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pretty sure he's the captain and best player on the worst team in the Q.

Plus GMJB was really high on this guy. Probably would have drafted him in the 2nd round if we had one.

It's a project for sure though.

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I realize it's VERY early in the kid's career, and that an opinion based on a few junior games is probably not very heavily weighted. That's just my hunch based on historical statistics of 3rd liners cracking the NHL consistently and how he's played so far.

Good luck to him but we'd be very lucky if he pans out to become a top-4 defenceman. Very lucky. You can't deny that.

Well opinions are like a-holes. Yours just tends to produce more sh*t. How many AB games have you actually watched? Or even seen highlights of? 

200 games?  sounds like someone has been drinking the PCS koolaid.

Anyways.  The timing of the signing is the only thing I don't understand.  Brisebois reminds me of how Hamhuis plays.  Not Hammer in juniors, but as a pro, post 2011 (when he took the hip check out of his game).  The fact JB felt this needed to happen now tells me this kid has hockey IQ through the roof, coupled with his skating, and some intangible traits.  I think he's going to be a solid player for the Canucks around the 2019 or 2020 season.

I have one thought about the signing and it's kind of out there..  could the canucks have signed him now in order to have a bit more control of his junior career?  like a Draisatl and edmonton type of thing?  I doubt it honestly but I'm grasping for some underlying meaning here.

4 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

I have one thought about the signing and it's kind of out there..  could the canucks have signed him now in order to have a bit more control of his junior career?   I doubt it honestly but I'm grasping for some underlying meaning here.

Or did he sign him now because:

-he wanted to get it done before he goes on a tear and lights up the Q in the 2nd half and demands max ELC with outrageous bonuses:) ? 

-he didn't have time to do it earlier because he and TL were on a hellish scouting trip all across NA last month?

-he want's to have him signed so it will be easier to use him as trade bait?

-he wants him signed to call him up to shore up the defence at the NHL level now that we are decimated once again by injury:).

Who knows??????????  Best not to read into it too much imo. 

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Or did he sign him now because:

-he wanted to get it done before he goes on a tear and lights up the Q in the 2nd half and demands max ELC with outrageous bonuses:) ? 

-he didn't have time to do it earlier because he and TL were on a hellish scouting trip all across NA last month?

-he want's to have him signed so it will be easier to use him as trade bait?

-he wants him signed to call him up to shore up the defence at the NHL level now that we are decimated once again by injury:).

Who knows??????????  Best not to read into it too much imo. 

It could have to do with signing him for less money but the rest of what you said doesn't really make sense.

But yeah, of course there isn't a lot to read into but its a discussion board which may include looking for a deeper meaning.  What i posted was just a theory to speculate on.  The seemingly random timing of the signing makes my mind run a little bit, i can't be the only person thinking it.

On 2015-12-11 at 5:19 AM, oldnews said:

Lol so no one is allowed to judge a player now huh? At which specific age are you allowed to do so? Never? I agree with him, im not hyped about Brisebois at all. Felt like quite a disappointing pick, and that Benning just picked him for the sake of picking a defenceman, since he failed to pick one earlier on. I liked the Boeser pick though, since that was the only pick we had prior to the Brisebrois one.

1 hour ago, Hedman said:

Lol so no one is allowed to judge a player now huh? At which specific age are you allowed to do so? Never? I agree with him, im not hyped about Brisebois at all. Felt like quite a disappointing pick, and that Benning just picked him for the sake of picking a defenceman, since he failed to pick one earlier on. I liked the Boeser pick though, since that was the only pick we had prior to the Brisebrois one.

Oh judge away Hedman - judging by your "Lol" lead, no doubt it'll be even more informative than duc's effort, 'lol'.

I'm guessing you have about as many opportunities to watch the player over in Sweden as DownUnderC has down in Aussie.  How many games are you going to ordain him to play?

On 12/10/2015 at 2:48 PM, HC20.0 said:

Happy with the signing, solid prospect. But geeze, your post sounds snotty.

i didn't read the post as being snotty... i read some of  you as being snotty.... I read it as he was happy with the signing and tied it in with sarcasm towards hamuis injury...nothing wrong with that... just members on this forum are too quick to jump to the negative....

On December 11, 2015 at 10:06 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Luck is not gonna be a big factor in it. If he makes the NHL as a regular, it's because he earned it.

I don't see the point of putting him down at this point in his young career (and life, for that matter).

4 hours ago, Hedman said:

Sure, judge a player but at least watch a couple games before expressing some BS opinion. Simply looking at a barely-18-year-old's stats on hockeydb is gonna get you nothing but laughed at.

On 12/13/2015 at 7:08 AM, Hedman said:

Usually, when GMs are picking prospects, they have a list of players they are interested in. They'll generally take the highest one available on that list. If there's a forward and a defender of what they would consider equal worth, then they'd likely look at team needs at that point. Are you saying they should not do things this way? If not, then what do you suggest?

Aside from that, I don't get this negativity towards a 3rd round pick. It's almost as if people like you feel a 3rd round pick should be a guaranteed success when it isn't. We apparently have a bunch of "drafting experts" here who "know more" than Benning, a professional scout. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Usually, when GMs are picking prospects, they have a list of players they are interested in. They'll generally take the highest one available on that list. If there's a forward and a defender of what they would consider equal worth, then they'd likely look at team needs at that point. Are you saying they should not do things this way? If not, then what do you suggest?

Aside from that, I don't get this negativity towards a 3rd round pick. It's almost as if people like you feel a 3rd round pick should be a guaranteed success when it isn't.

Quebec League D.  Mistake. 

Just now, The Lock said:

Here's the thing: by that logic, we should totally pass on players from the BCHL like Jost! The same argument could apply.

However, the league doesn't really matter. The player does.

Is the BCHL what used to be the BCJHL?  If so, than yes.  Don't waste picks from their.  It's too rare for those guys to pan out. 

Archived