The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Few Points Here, A Few Questions There!

-WeAreAllCanucks-

You Are The Coach; Who Do You Count On?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 minutes ago, RaymondT said:

Welcome aboard. Pretty optimistic post, I can almost see the rose petals scattered about the floor.

So, what part of the Canucks organization did you say you worked?    Ah... is that you Jim?

:) To suggest that the Canucks have prospect depth is a tad optimistic. Not good enough yet. Rose colored glasses assumes that all the picks to date were steals and are all headed for long NHL careers. I do think that Benning is a superior talent scout but he is not infallible. All the same I want him to have a big 2016 draft year. It means moving vets out for picks and the February trade deadline will play a big part in the roster transition. Main target in 2016 Draft has to be a 1D potential dman.  

1 hour ago, Canucks Prophet said:

He's a steal in the sense that he's an obvious pick, but somehow we got him in the 2nd round! :)

This.

The same could be said for McCann then, since he was expected to go higher than where we got him. At least he felt that way lol

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

:) To suggest that the Canucks have prospect depth is a tad optimistic. Not good enough yet. Rose colored glasses assumes that all the picks to date were steals and are all headed for long NHL careers. I do think that Benning is a superior talent scout but he is not infallible. All the same I want him to have a big 2016 draft year. It means moving vets out for picks and the February trade deadline will play a big part in the roster transition. Main target in 2016 Draft has to be a 1D potential dman.  

Somewhat agreed. We went from basically none to some. While it's certainly a vast improvement, we're not there yet and our future top 4 D depth, particularly on the right, still SUCKS.

Another draft and further jettisoning of vets for picks/prospects this coming summer should help to move that along.

I'd still like to see a trade for a young, 20-something D though (preferably righty) and go after a quality UFA D as well as a top 6 W with size/grit who can bridge until the likes of Virtanen, Boesser etc are ready for that role.

it is somewhat reasonable in my view, and supported by history of this club and most nhl clubs, that you take your list of what you consider to be solid prospects, and plan that 50% will never make it to the nhl, except perhaps for the briefest of looks

that should reduce your expected pool of the depth you think the canucks have to a more realistic and a bit more worrisome level

of the current crop auditioning with the canucks at the nhl level, only mccannn looks like he should stay, hutton perhaps as well, but he was tailing off a bit before his injury.  virtanen seems a bit too green around the gills and should be sent to the world champonships and then back to junior

jury is still out on kennins and jensen, but jensen is starting to appear like a long shot

we have many other prospects, some who will step up and surprise, but there will be a greater number who disappoint

Hey Everyone! Just got a chance to read all of the replies so far and I'm happy to hear that most of you enjoyed the post. I really appreciate some of the tips provided by you folks and the constructive criticism is great as well. I'll be sure to focus on making the next post much better for all of you. As for the poll, I was intending on asking the question "If You Were To Become The Coach, Who Would You Throw Out There On The Ice As Of Right Now?"

I wanted to limit some of the player options in the poll mainly because I was curious to see what the results would be between the choices I had provided. I'm quite surprised to see the results. In my opinion, Adam Cracknell totally deserves a crack over Linden Vey just because he plays with that extra grit and brings that special enthusiasm needed in the locker room. He's meshed really well with some of his linemates as well and that's really all we need from a 4th line center. I'm really delighted to see that most of you think so highly of Brendan Gaunce. He was the captain of his Junior Team back in the OHL and I honestly see him becoming a player like Bo Horvat in the future. He's got the natural defensive upside and is also talented on the offensive side of things. It looks like it is a clear win for Jake Virtanen which makes complete sense, but Nicklas Jensen has had a good start this year. The most impressive win so far belongs to Alex Biega and rightfully so. I was anxious to see the results for the defensemen, but it seems like everyone here knows what Alex Biega has brought to the team so far. If he continues to play the way he does, I can see the likes of Yannick Weber becoming expendable and I just don't see a reason why Alex Biega wouldn't be able to keep it up. 

Also, thanks for the update on Hannah Bernard. It's a good thing to know that she's still working with the organization. Featured videos like the "King Of The Rink" and the "Monthly Reports" are fun to watch once in a while and Hannah had some really fun interviews last year with players. Hopefully we'll see some of her content soon as the season progresses!

Archived