The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Curious Case of Alexander Edler

PhillipBlunt

Getting to the bottom of Alexander Edler  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So he has the ability to play to the pinnacle at times, but has an issue with sustaining that pace. Okay.

Now, my question is whether you believe it to be a personal limitation, or is it the team's defensive structure that hampers his ability to bring top gear on a more consistent basis.

Why does this all of a sudden feel like therapy trying to be a psychiatrist and solve something lmao.

...as for the question, again, he's a #2 playing in a #1 role for us. That's it. It's very simple and not complicated at all. 

Same can be said for all players who are playing a role bigger than their capability. Why is Horvat being inconsistent? Because he's playing 2C even though he's a 3C atm due to Sutter's injury. Etc. 

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Amped up? It's a discussion. Please try to bring something of a little more substance next time.

Sorry Im not trying to offend you Edler super fans Im just saying that we can't believe that BANG he is back to his old self on ONE game... not trying to offend -_-

Nothing curious about him. His passing is way overrated, and so is his shot. For someone his size, he has remarkably meek and doesn't stand up for his teammates at all. He looks completely disinterested more often than not and he's very inconsistent physically. I'm done giving him and all other vet floaters second chances, get him out of here.

2 minutes ago, fwybwed said:

Sorry Im not trying to offend you Edler super fans Im just saying that we can't believe that BANG he is back to his old self on ONE game... not trying to offend -_-

And where did you glean that idea from? That would be more of an assumption on your part than anything that's been written here.

Compelling comments and questions you pose, there Philly.  To keep myself sane, I have simply accepted the fact that there are two Alex Edlers -  the good one and the bad one.  I just hope to goodness that the good Edler shows up more than the bad one.  

But the issue with his back is a big thing and very real...I have chronic back problems which stems from too much hockey and golf in my formative years and there are days I feel great and there are days I can't get out of bed because of spasms that limit my mobility.  The good days and bad days are tough to predict...it could be something like sneezing with a slight bend in my hip or head turned in a slight angle that can trigger a spasm that will essentially immobilize me.  I once sneezed on a plane while reaching for something and they had to send in the paramedics to help me off the plane.  I've lost count of the number of times I have been on all fours on a golf course after a swing that wrenched my back. 

11 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Why does this all of a sudden feel like therapy trying to be a psychiatrist and solve something lmao.

...as for the question, again, he's a #2 playing in a #1 role for us. That's it. It's very simple and not complicated at all. 

Same can be said for all players who are playing a role bigger than their capability. Why is Horvat being inconsistent? Because he's playing 2C even though he's a 3C atm due to Sutter's injury. Etc. 

Not really therapy, just trying to find middle ground to precipitate a balanced discussion versus having a pitchfork and torch thread.

15 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

I'll add that not only is he playing in a #1 role (despite being a #2) but the top 4 defensive depth/quality around him is spotty and of questionable makeup.

Our top 4 is severely lacking in size (minus Edler), offensive skill (minus Edler who's 'only' decent in that regard anyway) and grit (again, minus Edler, again, 'only' decent). 

We could likely get away with Edler playing as a #1 while being a #2 if the rest of the top 4 was largely of #2 and #3 quality and were complimentary. For instance, another #2 quality offensive guy to play with Edler and a physical #2 - #3 guy to play with Tanev. And ideally some #3 - #4 guys on our bottom pair that could fill in occasionally for injury. 

We don't have anything close to that even healthy and we're not healthy.

2 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

Compelling comments and questions you pose, there Philly.  To keep myself sane, I have simply accepted the fact that there are two Alex Edlers -  the good one and the bad one.  I just hope to goodness that the good Edler shows up more than the bad one.  

But the issue with his back is a big thing and very real...I have chronic back problems which stems from too much hockey and golf in my formative years and there are days I feel great and there are days I can't get out of bed because of spasms that limit my mobility.  The good days and bad days are tough to predict...it could be something like sneezing with a slight bend in my hip or head turned in a slight angle that can trigger a spasm that will essentially immobilize me.  I once sneezed on a plane while reaching for something and they had to send in the paramedics to help me off the plane.  I've lost count of the number of times I have been on all fours on a golf course after a swing that wrenched my back. 

Thank you, HK. I am sorry to hear about your back problems. That sucks, man. I was in a rear ender (in a car, ya sickos!) and since then, my lower back is always in a state of mild pain. If I really exert myself, it's pain city. Getting older sucks.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I'll add that not only is he playing in a #1 role (despite being a #2) but the top 4 defensive depth/quality around him is spotty and of questionable makeup.

Our top 4 is severely lacking in size (minus Edler), offensive skill (minus Edler who's 'only' decent in that regard anyway) and grit (again, minus Edler, again, 'only' decent). 

We could likely get away with Edler playing as a #1 while being a #2 if the rest of the top 4 was largely of #2 and #3 quality and were complimentary. For instance, another #2 quality offensive guy to play with Edler and a physical #2 - #3 guy to play with Tanev. And ideally some #3 - #4 guys on our bottom pair that could fill in occasionally for injury. 

We don't have anything close to that even healthy.

Depth is clearly an issue on this team as you have documented before. Edler is worn thin being a top dman on a thin as wafer defensive corps.

Do you think the overage of minute could be having an adverse effect on his back?

What do you think brought out the beast in Edler against NY? Showing up AV? The competitive spirit in him being ignited by stellar competition?

Linden saying Edler is our best D, isn't really saying much. The Canucks D as a whole isn't very good. Edler is supposed to be our best D, but he's very inconsistent and for a #1, he makes glaring mistakes often. Nice that he had a good game against the Rangers anyway. I remember when he first started with the Canucks, I thought he could be the second coming of Lidstrom. Not even close. He's a big guy who rarely hits (unlike Kronwall, another Swede), and never shows any emotion. Trade him, while he's worth something.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Depth is clearly an issue on this team as you have documented before. Edler is worn thin being a top dman on a thin as wafer defensive corps.

Do you think the overage of minute could be having an adverse effect on his back?

What do you think brought out the beast in Edler against NY? Showing up AV? The competitive spirit in him being ignited by stellar competition?

Again, not just thin, but of poor makeup IMO. We have uncomplimentary players playing above their pay grades and lacking specific, required and complimentary tools. It's a fairly large mess :lol:

Who knows, maybe stuff just came together and he had a good game. Maybe he got enough rest and wasn't exhausted leading to mental errors. Maybe Tanev's feeling better and was able to be a more supportive partner than he has been while playing banged up allowing Edler to 'push' less. Maybe a combination of those and other things....

Just now, elvis15 said:

What, we didn't cover this enough in 30 pages of " I Think Alex Edler is a Liability "?

Mini mod alert! Mini mod alert!

That was a biased thread on Edler that is now locked because it denigrated into an online shoving match between two posters.

And Edler recently had his best game of the season so far. A completely dominant effort.

But by all means, report away elvis. You know you want to.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Again, not just thin, but of poor makeup IMO. We have uncomplimentary players playing above their pay grades and lacking specific, required and complimentary tools. It's a fairly large mess :lol:

Who knows, maybe stuff just came together and he had a good game. Maybe he got enough rest and wasn't exhausted leading to mental errors. Maybe Tanev's feeling better and was able to be a more supportive partner than he has been while playing banged up allowing Edler to 'push' less. Maybe a combination of those and other things....

True. The defense not only lacks in cohesion, but a solid identity as well. When looking at the present state of the blueline, sans Hamhuis (get well soon Hammer!) it seems to have a sloppy, thrown together feel to it. And at times during the year has played as such.

That lack of structure directly leads to one ice results.

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Mini mod alert! Mini mod alert!

That was a biased thread on Edler that is now locked because it denigrated into an online shoving match between two posters.

And Edler recently had his best game of the season so far. A completely dominant effort.

But by all means, report away elvis. You know you want to.

So in those 30 pages there weren't any solid points made that pretty much describe the Edler situation to a T?

Let me ask in a different way then: what wasn't covered there that you'd like to cover here which will generate new and useful discussion on Edler?

EDIT: I'll add to my thought and basically answer that for you:

• Back injury affects him playing harder throughout a season
  • Mentally he can have lapses if he's trying to hard and overthinking
  • Lack of defensive support has him playing a larger role than he should be
  • Better pairing chemistry would allow for less issues in his game

That's all been covered along with more I'm sure in the other thread (and those before it). What new information can we come up with as fans beyond that which will make this useful rather than just rehashing the same points again and again?

Archived