The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Curious Case of Alexander Edler

PhillipBlunt

Getting to the bottom of Alexander Edler  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, TheGrizzlyCanuck said:

Okay so my understanding of Edler is that he plays to his limit. Every player is inconsistent. Karlsson has really bad games. I think he has a B+ understanding of the game offensively, a B level understanding of the game defensively. I think he is a relatively unconfident guy, very quiet, not a lot of swagger. I suspect he takes a lot of things personally. 

He is surrounded by a C+ support cast and plays to the maximum of his abilities and contextual limitations. 

I love Edler. Without him, we are a basement feeder the last two seasons. 

So it's his fault we don't have Ekblad and McDavid!  God I hate Edler.  

lol Talk about a thread to see the title of and make me groan. To me, these Edler threads are just some of the worst on the Canucks Talk section of the forum.

Anyway. the choices in the poll at way too descriptive in my opinion. None of those answers outlined my opinion properly.

I think Edler is a 2nd pair defenseman playing on the 1st line because we have no one else. He's also currently our best defenseman despite his mistakes.

Honestly, I don't get why we're discussing this when we have other issues to worry about, such as solving the rest of our defense. ;)

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

lol Talk about a thread to see the title of and make me groan. To me, these Edler threads are just some of the worst on the Canucks Talk section of the forum.

Anyway. the choices in the poll at way too descriptive in my opinion. None of those answers outlined my opinion properly.

I think Edler is a 2nd pair defenseman playing on the 1st line because we have no one else. He's also currently our best defenseman despite his mistakes.

Honestly, I don't get why we're discussing this when we have other issues to worry about, such as solving the rest of our defense. ;)

I don't get why someone would post in a thread complaining why they're discussing something. You truly bring bitching and whining to a new low. 

Here's a hanky. 

One of the most overrated defense men in Canuck's history. 

I don't care if he puts up 40-50 points when the play in his own zone is horrendous. 

He has some of the worst hockey IQ in the NHL. His inconsistencies and 2-3 mind blowing errors per game are not worth it. 

He is a good 3-4 D, but NOT a 1st pairing caliber player. 

I think that deep down, Edler doesn't enjoy the limelight.  He doesn't want to be relied upon and he feels uncomfortable with having to raise his game when the team is relying on him.  If he can just go out and do his job free from all of the above, he has all the tools to excel and will.

The irony is that he has the tools to be a number 1 but can't deal with the responsibility.  If there was a bona fide #1, they would have that number 1 and Edler who would play as well as a number 1.

Just now, Crabcakes said:

I think that deep down, Edler doesn't enjoy the limelight.  He doesn't want to be relied upon and he feels uncomfortable with having to raise his game when the team is relying on him.  If he can just go out and do his job free from all of the above, he has all the tools to excel and will.

The irony is that he has the tools to be a number 1 but can't deal with the responsibility.  If there was a bona fide #1, they would have that number 1 and Edler who would play as well as a number 1.

Is not brains considered a tool?  How about he has all the tools excepting that very important one, and his other tools make up for this lack?

Lol at the mentionings of me to get a response. Biased, no. He crmbles at the worst possible moments in the playoffs and theres not one poster who can or is willing to confront the fact that he is a fragile minded liability who lets his team down at the worst possible moments. The other thread was locked because of a posters unwillingness to confront this fact and decision to take the argument to a fight as to avoid the truth and get the thread locked

1 minute ago, Drewismyname said:

Lol at the mentionings of me to get a response. Biased, no. He crmbles at the worst possible moments in the playoffs and theres not one poster who can or is willing to confront the fact that he is a fragile minded liability who lets his team down at the worst possible moments. The other thread was locked because of a posters unwillingness to confront this fact and decision to take the argument to a fight as to avoid the truth.

Maybe you should read the previous post?  His nick name is special Ed for a reason.  But, we still need his size, so we best keep him.

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

I would say your first and third point there about sums it up.

i would add that at least from what I see he doesn't have that edge, hate to lose attitude.  The elite players have the ability to carry a team at times and to make those around them better....haven't seen that with Alex.

this all sounds negative of course. For the most part I like what he brings when he stays in his own which you refer to in your fest point.

That's not negative.

Its just an observation. And your not the only one who has it. I share it.  Edler is private. Withdrawn. There is nary an outward sign of a personality consumed with dominating situations. Common in elite performing competitors.

Edler comes up for air every now and again. There is still a chance that competitor is simmering below the surface.  But he's quiet. We have to wait for evidence.

That evidence would be an extra 5 or 8 lbs of hard earned muscle on his shoulders and arms? On a leaner, harder body arriving at training camp! Which would add the gap in endurance and brute strength, explosiveness to being elite. In the meantime; the bumps and bruises he is vulnerable to without that adds inconsistencies. Which annoys people.

Edler is a good player. People just hope for more.

I like Edler, but I don't want to see him play anywhere near 25+ minutes a night. He always played his best hockey when he was playing 18-20 minutes on the 2nd pairing and that is where he should be playing. Not on the first pairing.

This why it's so crucial, in this upcoming draft, to find a stud defensemen. We need a defensemen, who can log big mintues, handle the pressure, and play in all situations.

Edler's development was rushed because of a thin roster. He topped that with a great offensive season which labeled him as another Canuck savior. The team needed the offense so Edler was thrown into the role.

Always preferred a more defensive role with a solid PMD. It has never happened. I still prefer him over Tanev and would move Tanev if a good deal came along.

Well there are a lot of opinioned being tossed around these Edler sucks threads like we are pro scouts with personal insights into Edler's personality, mental/social fortitude and locker room impact. More to the point seems to me a lot of Edler haters are just looking to agree with each other that Edler in not a #1 defenseman and makes critical errors each and every game. I would suggest we look at some of the facts, even though they never tell the complete story, I think these threads need more facts and less opinions proffered up as facts. I know some people do not like to consider facts when hating on a player.

Alex Edler

Points 17, ranked 17th in the league

Goals 6 Tied for 6th in the league

Assists 11 tied for 24th in the league

+/- +1 Tied for 89th in the league

SOG 59 ranked 27th in the league

S% 10.2% ranked 16th in the league

PPG 3 Ranked 9th in the league

PPA 5 ranked 17th in the league

Hits 40 Tied for 60th in the league

Blocked shots 59 Ranked 18th in the league

TOI ranked 15th in the league

ATOI ranked 20th in the league

PPTOI ranked 19th in the league

PKTOI ranked 37th in the league

GV 23 Ranked 31st

TA 9 ranked 51st

I think this gives a pretty good picture of Alex Edler. If you look at his career stats he is generally consistant with a few down years after the 11 cup run, especially the Torts year. Decent offensive players with grit and solid defensive numbers. Edler is generally a plus player for his career especially if you remove the horrid -39 from the Torts year.

The stats show he is not a defensive animal though, truth be told he does not have the foot speed to be a Take-Away type of defenseman. He is a positional stick checker/shot blocker for the most part. That being said he is not the give away machine the haters would lead you to believe. He just isn't. But it's hard to let go of a poor play that leads to a goal against, I can dig that. Happens tho.

Edler is evolving tho... Less hitting and less shots but that might just be him maturing as a player.

For the haters who want to point out he flaws... There are good players (who posters want to trade for) who rank right beside edlers stats.

Edlers only +1... Lets see who else is +1 Seabrook, Keith, Vatanan, Carlson... Our first line is not that defensive in general though and neither is a lot of teams number one lines unless they are truly dominating offensively. Stat is fairly poor as it is affected by your teammates play as well as your opponents.

For the most part Edler gets vilified for being that guy who gets burnt or gives the puck up to lose a game. Definitely has happened. but the percentage of time this can be attributed soley to Edler is very low IMHO (Yes my opinion as there are no stats for it) Vancouver is a team lacking in foot speed in general and a lot of our players give away the puck at brutal times... Hamhuis is worse in MY opinion, the Sedins do it fairly often and also get burnt by there slow foot speed as well.

Am I defending Edler? Somewhat. Mostly I am going to point out that saying Edler is a #2 PAIRING defenseman is truly a ignorant statement (get your dictionary) and an insult to a great player who had played excellent hockey for us, helped take us to the brink of a cup and truly wants to play in Vancouver. I'm not often embarrassed by our fans but this is one of the cases.

Cheers

C73

He's not a robot?  How many of you are tip top 110% every day at work? 

If consistency was so easy to come by then there would be no hockey hall of fame, every one would just be that damn good. 

It's easy to point the finger when we are playing poorly, Elder is the least of our worries.

JB should be looking for a trade as a stop gap soon, Willie D and staff needs a Christmas present from Santa. With Sbisa and Hammer out lord knows we need it on the back end.

7 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Well there are a lot of opinioned being tossed around these Edler sucks threads like we are pro scouts with personal insights into Edler's personality, mental/social fortitude and locker room impact. More to the point seems to me a lot of Edler haters are just looking to agree with each other that Edler in not a #1 defenseman and makes critical errors each and every game. I would suggest we look at some of the facts, even though they never tell the complete story, I think these threads need more facts and less opinions proffered up as facts. I know some people do not like to consider facts when hating on a player.

Alex Edler

Points 17, ranked 17th in the league

Goals 6 Tied for 6th in the league

Assists 11 tied for 24th in the league

+/- +1 Tied for 89th in the league

SOG 59 ranked 27th in the league

S% 10.2% ranked 16th in the league

PPG 3 Ranked 9th in the league

PPA 5 ranked 17th in the league

Hits 40 Tied for 60th in the league

Blocked shots 59 Ranked 18th in the league

TOI ranked 15th in the league

ATOI ranked 20th in the league

PPTOI ranked 19th in the league

PKTOI ranked 37th in the league

GV 23 Ranked 31st

TA 9 ranked 51st

I think this gives a pretty good picture of Alex Edler. If you look at his career stats he is generally consistant with a few down years after the 11 cup run, especially the Torts year. Decent offensive players with grit and solid defensive numbers. Edler is generally a plus player for his career especially if you remove the horrid -39 from the Torts year.

The stats show he is not a defensive animal though, truth be told he does not have the foot speed to be a Take-Away type of defenseman. He is a positional stick checker/shot blocker for the most part. That being said he is not the give away machine the haters would lead you to believe. He just isn't. But it's hard to let go of a poor play that leads to a goal against, I can dig that. Happens tho.

Edler is evolving tho... Less hitting and less shots but that might just be him maturing as a player.

For the haters who want to point out he flaws... There are good players (who posters want to trade for) who rank right beside edlers stats.

Edlers only +1... Lets see who else is +1 Seabrook, Keith, Vatanan, Carlson... Our first line is not that defensive in general though and neither is a lot of teams number one lines unless they are truly dominating offensively. Stat is fairly poor as it is affected by your teammates play as well as your opponents.

For the most part Edler gets vilified for being that guy who gets burnt or gives the puck up to lose a game. Definitely has happened. but the percentage of time this can be attributed soley to Edler is very low IMHO (Yes my opinion as there are no stats for it) Vancouver is a team lacking in foot speed in general and a lot of our players give away the puck at brutal times... Hamhuis is worse in MY opinion, the Sedins do it fairly often and also get burnt by there slow foot speed as well.

Am I defending Edler? Somewhat. Mostly I am going to point out that saying Edler is a #2 PAIRING defenseman is truly a ingnorant statement (get your dictionary) and an insult to a great player who had played excellent hockey for us, helped take us to the brink of a cup and truly wants to play in Vancouver. I'm not often embarrassed by our fans but this is one of the cases.

Cheers

C73

How dare you use stats. Our Hockey savvy fans know that all of our vets suck and the only good players are our young players. They know because they decide to hate players and then spend their time watching for mistakes in our vets and ignoring all their positive plays. They also ignore the mistakes of the young players and focus on their good play. Never mind the fact that we need Edler to match up against the Leagues best, especially with the loss of Hamhuis. They probably believe that Hutton could do as well.

23 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

- 3rd leading scorer on our team behind the Sedin's.

- Plays the most minutes out of anyone, more than 3 minutes than the next closest guy & 6+ minutes of total special teams time per game.

- 17 points in 29 games, on pace for 48.

- He's a #2 dman but our #1 dman because our defense sucks, and is doing a fantastic job.

...people that complain about him are delusional. Without him we are tanking no questions asked. Sure he makes the often redundant/frustrating/predictable play (drop pass) but whatever, people just like picking on him because they have nothing better to do.

Despite what anyone says, Edler is the backbone to our defense. 

Edit: as for OP, there is no issue with Edler. Just an issue with people that complain and whine about him not acknowledging how crucial he is to our team. 

This, this, and all of this. If Edler went down for a significant amount of time with Hamhuis out as well we'd be done. 

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't get why someone would post in a thread complaining why they're discussing something. You truly bring bitching and whining to a new low. 

Here's a hanky. 

Hey, just because it's not what you wanted to hear, it doesn't mean it's incorrect. ;)

Thanks for the hanky. I'll pass it on to people who want to tank.....

Archived