The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Curious Case of Alexander Edler

PhillipBlunt

Getting to the bottom of Alexander Edler  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, Baggins said:

He's not paid an elite d-man wage why would anybody expect elite d-man play? Potential is really just imaginary. Maybe this was his true potential as opposed to those Lidstrom fantasies.

You clear the core if you intend to tank and wallow away for high picks. We already know that's not the plan here. Edler would be a big loss for this team to be able to compete as there is nobody close to him as a replacement.

Baggins, I have trouble with you comment in the way that, moving Edler does not mean doom and gloom, beyond  the end of this year, Edler has been injured before and we have survived. With all the cap coming off this year, do you not think we could buy a UFA that would at the very least be equal to Edler, because I do.....yes Edler munches minutes, but Buff, Yandle, Campbell, Goligoski or Boyle could also do that, while providing veteran leadership.

The trap is always thinking that your player is the best, and can't be replaced.......Chicago proves you can time and time again, that loosing players doesn't need to hurt......

I am not saying you need to do it, but you need to consider the benefit

1 hour ago, CanucksSayEh said:

I dream of the Canucks playing against him in the playoffs. That is the world I one day want to live in. 

Oh... I want to live in a World of peace, understanding and interconnection where everyone respects all others and help unconditionally.

To each his dream I guess... 

Edler is some type of an inigma

He is what everyone says he is, he has a shot, has speed, great passer, great skater, can hit, plays great defense

or he can be the opposite, a give a way machine, who doesn't know how to play defense, doesn't play physical, shoots wide

yet on our team, he is debatably our best defenseman........he is very confusing

Yet some GM's don't see him like we see him, but they see their own players much more, and they compare him to their own, and I am sure those GM's that like him and want him would think that in the right system, and with the right pairings, he could be much more, and he could be much more than they have already

I am sure "IF" he was put on the market he would bring in a very handsome reward, probably more than I have suggested..................

Picks are unknowns, and yet their potential can have a high ceiling, and will give you years of solid play if they turn out, and you must have them to rebuild with......

At 30 years of age, Edler has proven one thing in his career, and that is he is inconsistent, on the top end side, that is to say he is a good defenseman that is inconsistent..........

We can buy that on the UFA market, but what we can not  buy are Picks and prospects, and that is why we should trade Edler

He is 30 years old, talented and valuable.........will you be able to say that in 2 years (Hamhuis), or the next hit (back problems) ?

HIs value is an A-prospect, a 1st, and a roster player

His replacement is easy to find if you have money........Edler is worth 5 million a year for 3 more years,,,,are those assets worth the difference between him and the UFA we sign?  (Note ....Edler's contract is devalued in the last year for a reason! aka Age!)

Edler can be a top-pairing guy.... if he's not relied upon for defense and not relied upon for offense.  Somewhat contradicting, but let me explain.

When did Edler showed flashes of being a defensive stalwart?  When there were guys like Ohlund, Mitchell and Hamhuis being the primary shutdown guy.  Alex then had lower pressure and expectations..... so he can be a bit more reckless.  Pretty much pre-2012.

The time when Edler fully flourished offensively?  Salo and Ehrhoff as the primary shooter from the blueline and the PPQB.  Defenders weren't as focused on him, so he is kept under the radar.  Pretty much pre-2012.

Now, he's with Tanev.... playing the role as a shutdown pairing and also Edler has to generate offense.  Alexander Edler can't be "fixed" per se..... the only solution is to have things re-arranged around him to better fit him. 

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Baggins, I have trouble with you comment in the way that, moving Edler does not mean doom and gloom, beyond  the end of this year, Edler has been injured before and we have survived. With all the cap coming off this year, do you not think we could buy a UFA that would at the very least be equal to Edler, because I do.....yes Edler munches minutes, but Buff, Yandle, Campbell, Goligoski or Boyle could also do that, while providing veteran leadership.

The trap is always thinking that your player is the best, and can't be replaced.......Chicago proves you can time and time again, that loosing players doesn't need to hurt......

I am not saying you need to do it, but you need to consider the benefit

The real trap is undersetimating the free agent market. Cap goes up, salaries go up.

Campbell I don't see as an upgrade, or even a status quo, with Edler. He's older, smaller, and has fewer points than Edler. The others will have their pick of teams and be looking for top dollar. Edler at his current money is pretty reasonable compared to what open market will be demanding. And most of those guys won't be looking to go to a rebuilding team unless you're paying top dollar anf giving term.

Hamhuis and Vrbata come off the books this year. That's where cap space will come from. There's no need to move a reasonable deal at this time.

Archived