The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tortorella - same old (ball-busting) song and dance in Columbus?

oldnews

Tortorella is "embarrassed".  He's calling out his team publicly again.  

Question:  does that actually work coming from him at this point, or has he played that card to death over the years? 

He's also, apparently, still defending the 0-1 deficit.

"We're in our end zone the whole night - so nothing changed in that area."

This new Torts, the one that Columbus gave another shot - was supposed to be a new Torts that had learned....(seem to have heard that line before).

But not surprisingly, he's still picking fights with his best players - and it's spilling into the public eye - again.

Scott Hartnell - 21 points - healthy scratched.

Brandon Saad - making him into a bottom six forward.

First game in CBJ - calls out Johansen and has since proceeded to experiment with moving him to the wing.

"Obviously I am not doing a good enough job to get the team ready in these type of situations. I am totally embarrassed by the way we played."

Surely Columbus' core isn't too old and stale..... could it be Torts' methodology that fits that description?  (Unfair rhetorical question?)

In any event, Daniel and Henrik say hi and wish you the best Torts. (and thanks for the 2nd btw)

In fairness - [counterpoint] - Tortorella stepped into a bit of a hot mess, but is he the right guy for the job?  On the other hand, he stepped into a situation where a team with a lot of talent was underachieving (in the short run).   The CBJ finished very strongly last year - were they a bit hasty in dumping Richards?

Seems to me that Tortorella is a coach who, when faced with this kind of adversity, starts throwing it all in the blender.  It's like desperation with no rhyme or reason - and an admission that he doesn't have answers....  I just don't see how that stabilizes a struggling franchise. 

So the question is - did the CBJ make the right call?  Will they turn it around under Torts - or are they headed for a high pick this year (ala Jake Virtanen - and perhaps compensation for the 2nd they lost in signing Torts) - and wind up bringing in another coach to clean up the extra layer of mess they're creating this year?

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Question:  does that actually work coming from him at this point, or has he played that card to death over the years? 

This new Torts, the one that Columbus gave another shot - was supposed to be a new Torts that had learned....(seem to have heard that line before).

But not surprisingly, he's still picking fights with his best players - and it's spilling into the public eye - again.

First game in CBJ - calls out Johansen and has since proceeded to experiment with moving him to the wing.

"Obviously I am not doing a good enough job to get the team ready in these type of situations. I am totally embarrassed by the way we played."

Surely Columbus' core isn't too old and stale..... could it be Torts' methodology that fits that description?  (Unfair rhetorical question?)

In any event, Daniel and Henrik say hi and wish you the best Torts. (and thanks for the 2nd btw)

In fairness - [counterpoint] - Tortorella stepped into a bit of a hot mess, but is he the right guy for the job?  On the other hand, he stepped into a situation where a team with a lot of talent was underachieving (in the short run).   The CBJ finished very strongly last year - were they a bit hasty in dumping Richards?

Seems to me that Tortorella is a coach who, when faced with this kind of adversity, starts throwing it all in the blender.  It's like desperation with no rhyme or reason - and an admission that he doesn't have answers....  I just don't see how that stabilizes a struggling franchise. 

So the question is - did the CBJ make the right call?  Will they turn it around under Torts - or are they headed for a high pick this year (ala Jake Virtanen - and perhaps compensation for the 2nd they lost in signing Torts) - and wind up bringing in another coach to clean up the extra layer of mess they're creating this year?

I find his saying that, "he's embarrassed" with the team's play disturbing.  He is not playing.  It's like he's living vicariously through his players.  I'm thinking he has a serious problem with his role.  He should be embarrassed about his own actions, rather than p,acing the responsibility for his embarrassment on others.  Thanks for the second dumb asses in CBJ.

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Surely Columbus core isn't too old and stale..... could it be Torts' methodology that fits that description?  (Unfair rhetorical question)

In fairness - counterpoint - Tortorella stepped into a bit of a hot mess, but is he the right guy for the job?  On the other hand, he stepped into a situation where a team with a lot of talent was underachieving (in the short run).   The CBJ finished very strongly last year - were they a bit hasty in dumping Richards?

Torts is an old school coach.  Which is a breed who is being tuned out all over the sport world. Old school managers who operate via control tactics and manipulation are being tuned out in all walks of life. Especially ones who don't have the work ethic to show up to run their own practices. The new world is calling for people with genuine leadership, communication and ethics to be empowered with roles of responsibility.

Torts is also an old school idiot. CBJ should have seen the buyer beware signs. People don't want to listen to an idiot because they are told to. 

Even then They should not have hired John Tortorella. He is also what we call in the coaching, a systems coach. Not a tactics coach. In simplified language, he has a system he runs, and needs the team to adapt to it. And the GM to supply the type of player who is ideal for it. With the time to develop such players and engrain such a system Torts has proven his system will work. But when your best players are outweighed by 40 pounds; playing them mano a mano instead of strategically when they have match ups they can win isn't necessarily a great call.

Torts is a dog.

I'm waiting to see if any of the staunch Torts supporters try to claim this thread based on his winning a Cup in Tampa. The only thing Torts knows how to do is defend his players via the media, but he's equally as good at throwing them under the bus so that's a wash.

Talk about riding the coattails of 2004. Really goes to show how slim the coaching pickings appear to be from GM/President perspective.

8 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

He's a good coach. 

The problem is his techniques and style are not effective in this era of hockey. 

So then maybe he's not a good coach. ^_^

A good coach learns to adapt and grow as the game (and his team) changes, but understands what areas never change, like the fundamentals.

Torts is too stubborn for his own good, but at least he won the cup. That's more than what other, better coaches can say.

Archived