The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Retooling on the Fly: 20th Anniversary

Kevin Biestra

As we know, the Canucks are in the midst of a supposed "retool on the fly," though there has been little in the way of roster changes thus far during the season:

20 years ago, they underwent a roster overhaul over the course of one season...Big moves, bold moves.  Here is how it went down:

July 1995:

Canucks get ALEXANDER MOGILNY and a 5th round pick for Mike Peca, Mike Wilson and a 1st rounder.  Mike Peca turned out to be a damn solid player, but getting Mogilny was like trading for...Malkin or something like that in today's game.

Canucks get MIKE RIDLEY for SERGIO MOMESSO.  Traded a part of the Canucks' heart and soul (like Bieksa) for a more skilled guy with constant injury problems in his time here.  Momesso had a ton of heart, but Ridley was a real skill player.

Nov. 1995:

Canucks get ESA TIKKANEN for a 2nd round pick.  Now Tikkanen is a player with a playoff pedigree.  Remember how many 2nd rounders we tossed away under Nonis and Gillis for "an additional piece" for the playoffs?  Tikkanen was a proven winner.

Dec. 1995:

Canucks get Jim Dowd, Frank Kucera and a 2nd rounder for JEFF BROWN and a 3rd rounder.  Well, sometimes you just gotta trade a guy, know what I mean Vern...

March 1996:

The playoffs are approaching.  We get MIKE SILLINGER for Roman Oksiuta.  Boss move.

We get JOE KOCUR for Kay Whitmore.  Kocur could be seen as similar to Prust, but with low salary and we gave up our 3rd string goalie, not a guy who still seemed like a strong prospect until he made our judgment look really good by crashing his car and ending up in rehab.

We get MARKUS NASLUND for Alek Stojanov.  And you thought Mike Sillinger was a boss move?  If that was a boss move, this was a Godfather move.

That's how you retool on the fly.

Of course they bungled it all by bringing in Messier and Keenan not too long thereafter.  But tell me these didn't look like mostly genius moves at the time from Mr. Quinn.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They should have stopped at Naslund.

Bringing in Keenan and Messier took it too far. Those two moves sent the team in a downward spiral like I'm sure keeping Tortorella here would have.

If it had just been Messier, I don't think the damage would have been too bad, but the combo of Keenan/Mess was just brutal. Same as the Gillis/Torts combo. 

15 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

If it had just been Messier, I don't think the damage would have been too bad, but the combo of Keenan/Mess was just brutal. Same as the Gillis/Torts combo. 

That being said, we can thank Keenan for the Linden for Bertuzzi and McCabe trade.

Not only did we get a huge piece for our future top line, Burke was able to flip McCabe in the deal to get both Sedins, and bring Linden back for next to nothing.

That's the one good thing Keenan did here.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That being said, we can thank Keenan for the Linden for Bertuzzi and McCabe trade.

Not only to we get a huge piece for our future top line, Burke was able to flip McCabe in the deal to get both Sedins, and bring Linden back for next to nothing.

i agree that was the only good thing

but it was a brilliant trade

and i dislike keenan intensely and chose to not renew tickets when he was hired

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not only did we get a huge piece for our future top line, Burke was able to flip McCabe in the deal to get both Sedins, and bring Linden back for next to nothing.

I'm kind of hoping the Torts year/Luongo trade mirrors that somehow. Like, we flipped Lou, but Markstrom becomes our elite netminder for years. *Sigh* I can dream...

Bert and Marky were both under performing when we got them. You never know. 

10 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

I'm kind of hoping the Torts year/Luongo trade mirrors that somehow. Like, we flipped Lou, but Markstrom becomes our elite netminder for years. *Sigh* I can dream...

Yea hopefully.

I think the trade that could potentially be similar is the Kesler trade. Which Gillis didn't make but it was pretty much a result of him and Torts.

If McCann were to become a top player for us, and Sbisa was flipped down the road to acquire another key piece, it would be a pretty good result.

I guess we also flipped Bonino for Sutter who is a key piece for us now, so it's already looking good.

A lot of people seem to forget that over half of our team has changed since Benning took over. Also, I think it's more about the quality of trades and what the team becomes in the end rather than how long a retool takes. While it's good to make a push for trades, you don't want to force it either in my opinion. Quality over quantity. ;)

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

Could be.  This was the guy I always thought would have looked right at home in a Napoleon hat:

mike_kennan.jpg

To think this guy was a highschool teacher before his coaching career took off.  I can just see him calling out some poor scrub of a kid in class, and raking poor guy over the coals - and he would do it in front of the group to better have a lasting affect on them all, and impart his authority.  All while wearing his newspaper folded hat.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To think this guy was a highschool teacher before his coaching career took off.  I can just see him calling out some poor scrub of a kid in class, and raking poor guy over the coals - and he would do it in front of the group to better have a lasting affect on them all, and impart his authority.  All while wearing his newspaper folded hat.  

For some reason, I picture him being either an English or a Drama teacher, with a black turtleneck, being super aggressive and faux-artsy at the same time.  No idea why, but that's what I see in my mind.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

For some reason, I picture him being either an English or a Drama teacher, with a black turtleneck, being super aggressive and faux-artsy at the same time.  No idea why, but that's what I see in my mind.

what ever he taught, I hope the kids laughed at his stupid comb over.:lol:  

I think you can add some medals on his black sweater too.  Merit badges to show how wonderful he was.  

Archived