[Proposal] Who should stay and who should go. And then some

Vrbata - trade deadline 
Prust - likely to sign out East, possible trade dealine
Cracknell - affordable 
Hamhuis - trade deadline
Bartkowski - affordable
Weber - no
Biega - affordable

That's the list of our upcoming UFAs on July 1st. Their cap total is 16.425 million. If the salary cap goes up by 5 million as expected, we should have approximately 21.425 million in cap space if they all walk.

If we re-signed all the players marked "affordable" for their current salary, it would only be a 2.925 million cap hit. If we gave them a 15% raise (depending on their performance this season), the approximate cap hit for them would be 3.363 million. That would leave us with 18.062 million to work with.

As for our Restricted Free Agents, Baertschi should be tendered (900k) or have an extension for at least 2 years. Sven is progressing much better and his skill-set is hard to find. Kenins should be given a 1 year 2-way contract (600k). That will leave us with 16.562 million on Canada Day to spend on some quality players.

Our line-up before FA would look like this:

Daniel - Henrik - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Shinkaruk
Virtanen - McCann - Burrows
Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett
Cracknell, Higgins

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Biega
*Pedan

Miller
Markstrom

I'd say it's looking like an awesome line-up just by inserting Shinkaruk and Gaunce. If we do sign Lucic for 7.1 million per year for 2 years or more, that will leave us with approximately 9.5 million in cap space. Then trade Higgins (2.5 million) for a pick to make room for Lucic, giving us about 12 million in cap space. With about 12 million left, there's more than enough room to also upgrade our defense, maybe Byfuglien?

Our line-up after suggested moves:
*scratch/rotation (call-ups) FA signings

Daniel - Henrik - Lucic
Gaunce - Sutter - Hansen
*Cracknell, *Dorsett, (Kenins)

Edler - Byfuglien
Hutton - Tanev
Sbisa - Bartkowski
*Biega, (Pedan) 

Miller
Markstrom

Lucic replaces Prust's toughness while also replacing Vrbata's scoring ability. He also creates a lot of room for the players around him with his crushing hits and presence.

The rest of the cap could be used for a TD pick up for added depth heading into the post-season. Or we could use some of that cap to re-sign Vrbata during Free Agency just to be safe in our scoring department. Another option would be to sign another hot free agent in the likes of Stamkos, Kopitar, Voracek, Backes, Ladd, Okposo, Byfuglien - just to name a few upcoming free agents.

Ultimately, however, adding a defenseman would be ideal. Like Byfuglien @ 8 million per for 3 years. Cup champ top 2 RHD. That will leave us with 4 million with the all-hands-on-deck approach. Seabrook was my first choice but I completely forgot about his extension. 

Now these line-ups will all depend on other prospects/players making the team who are/will be in the system. Some of these prospects like Andrey Pedan could be challenging for a spot as soon as this year. It will also depend on the team's performance for the rest of the season and hopefully playoffs.

By adding Lucic and Byfuglien (both Stanley Cup Champs), I have no doubt this line-up could contend for a Cup. Not to mention the BC connections with Lucic.

Do you agree with my suggestions? 

15 minutes ago, canucksnhl said:

Vrbata - trade deadline 
Prust - likely to sign out East, possible trade dealine
Cracknell - affordable 
Hamhuis - trade deadline unless he wants to stay for less; possibly affordable
Bartkowski - affordable
Weber - no
Biega - affordable

That's the list of our upcoming UFAs on July 1st. Their cap total is 16.425 million. If the salary cap goes up by 5 million as expected, we should have approximately 21.425 million in cap space if they all walk.

If we re-signed all the players marked "affordable" for their current salary, it would only be a 2.925 million cap hit. If we gave them a 15% raise (depending on their performance this season), the approximate cap hit for them would be 3.363 million. That would leave us with 18.062 million to work with.

Then if Hammer is re-signed for 2.5 million, we will have 15.562 million left. Hopefully he is okay.

As for our Restricted Free Agents, Baertschi should be tendered (900k) or have an extension for at least 2 years. Sven is progressing much better and his skill-set is hard to find. Kenins should be given a 1 year 2-way contract (600k). That will leave us with 14.062 million on Canada Day to spend on some quality players.

Our line-up before FA would look like this:

Daniel - Henrik - Hansen
Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett
Cracknell, Higgins

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa
Hamhuis - Bartkowski
Biega

Miller
Markstrom

I'd say it's looking like an awesome line-up just by inserting Shinkaruk and Gaunce. If we do sign Lucic for 7.1 million per year for 2 years or more, that will leave us with 7 million in cap space. Then trade Higgins (2.5 million) for a pick to make space for Lucic, giving us 9.5 million in cap space. With 9.5 million left, there's more than enough room to also upgrade our defense, maybe Seabrook?

Our line-up after suggested moves:
*scratch/rotation (call-ups) FA signings

Daniel - Henrik - Lucic
Gaunce - Sutter - Hansen
*Cracknell, *Dorsett, (Kenins)

Hutton - Seabrook
Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bartkowski
*Sbisa, (Biega) 

Miller
Markstrom

Lucic replaces Prust's toughness while also replacing Vrbata's scoring ability. He also creates a lot of room for the players around him with his crushing hits and presence.

The rest of the cap could be used for a TD pick up for added depth heading into the post-season. Or we could use some of that cap to re-sign Vrbata during Free Agency just to be safe in our scoring department. Another option would be to sign another hot free agent in the likes of Stamkos, Kopitar, Voracek, Backes, Ladd, Okposo, Byfuglien, Seabrook - just to name a few upcoming free agents.

Ultimately, however, adding a defenseman would be ideal. Like Seabrook @ 7 million per for 3 years. Cup champ top 2 RHD. That will leave us with 2.5 million with the all-hands-on-deck approach.

Now these line-ups will all depend on other prospects/players making the team who are/will be in the system. Some of these prospects like Andrey Pedan could be challenging for a spot as soon as this year. It will also depend on the team's performance for the rest of the season and hopefully playoffs.

By adding Lucic and Seabrook (both Stanley Cup Champs), I have no doubt this line-up could contend for a Cup. Not to mention the BC connections.

Do you agree with my suggestions? 

the effort you put into this post is outstanding.  I bet you put more thought into this post than Ron DELORME did at any draft.  No, we would not be Cup contenders:(. Plus, I thought Seabrook got extended by the Hawks?

Everybody highlighted below would be traded or put on waivers IMO.

SVEN BAERTSCHI  
ALEXANDRE BURROWS  
ADAM CRACKNELL  
DEREK DORSETT  
BRENDAN GAUNCE  
JANNIK HANSEN  
CHRIS HIGGINS  
BO HORVAT  
JARED MCCANN  
BRANDON PRUST  
DANIEL SEDIN "A" 
HENRIK SEDIN "C" 

BRANDON SUTTER  
JAKE VIRTANEN  
RADIM VRBATA  

MATT BARTKOWSKI  
ALEX BIEGA  
ALEXANDER EDLER  
DAN HAMHUIS

BEN HUTTON  
LUCA SBISA  
CHRISTOPHER TANEV  
YANNICK WEBER  

JACOB MARKSTROM  
RYAN MILLER  

19 minutes ago, AriGold said:

SVEN BAERTSCHI  
ALEXANDRE BURROWS  
ADAM CRACKNELL  
DEREK DORSETT  
BRENDAN GAUNCE  
JANNIK HANSEN  
CHRIS HIGGINS  
BO HORVAT  
JARED MCCANN  
BRANDON PRUST  
DANIEL SEDIN "A" 
HENRIK SEDIN "C" 

BRANDON SUTTER  
JAKE VIRTANEN  
RADIM VRBATA  

MATT BARTKOWSKI  
ALEX BIEGA  
ALEXANDER EDLER  
DAN HAMHUIS

BEN HUTTON  
LUCA SBISA  
CHRISTOPHER TANEV  
YANNICK WEBER  

JACOB MARKSTROM  
RYAN MILLER  

Ummh, the Sedins?

Just now, 87Crosby said:

Ummh, the Sedins?

The goal of a franchise is to win the Stanley Cup. With the Sedins they won't win the Stanley Cup, I love them as much as the next Canucks fan but it wont happen.

If they are the secondary scoring then any team can and will likely win the cup. 

49 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Did you miss the fact that Seabrook signed an 8 year extension with Chicago?

I'll fix it. I was looking at an older article for the UFAs. Oops 

6 minutes ago, AriGold said:

The goal of a franchise is to win the Stanley Cup. With the Sedins they won't win the Stanley Cup, I love them as much as the next Canucks fan but it wont happen.

If they are the secondary scoring then any team can and will likely win the cup. 

Yes, but maybe the next core (who the Twins mentor) will win a Cup, which (without that mentor ship) would not win?  The Twins IMHO are too valuable to our team's future to trade.

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

the effort you put into this post is outstanding.  I bet you put more thought into this post than Ron DELORME did at any draft.  No, we would not be Cup contenders:(. Plus, I thought Seabrook got extended by the Hawks?

You're right about Seabrook! I replaced him with Byfuglien. Not my first choice but still a huge (no pun intended) upgrade over Weber.

48 minutes ago, AriGold said:

SVEN BAERTSCHI  
ALEXANDRE BURROWS  
ADAM CRACKNELL  
DEREK DORSETT  
BRENDAN GAUNCE  
JANNIK HANSEN  
CHRIS HIGGINS  
BO HORVAT  
JARED MCCANN  
BRANDON PRUST  
DANIEL SEDIN "A" 
HENRIK SEDIN "C" 

BRANDON SUTTER  
JAKE VIRTANEN  
RADIM VRBATA  

MATT BARTKOWSKI  
ALEX BIEGA  
ALEXANDER EDLER  
DAN HAMHUIS

BEN HUTTON  
LUCA SBISA  
CHRISTOPHER TANEV  
YANNICK WEBER  

JACOB MARKSTROM  
RYAN MILLER  

You think Edler is done? And no way the Sedins get traded after publicly stating their intentions of staying put. So I guess you believe in a full rebuild thus getting rid of pretty much anyone over the age of 30. I highly doubt it but if those highlighted in bold can be replaced with younger and better players, I'm all for it. 

9 minutes ago, canucksnhl said:

You're right about Seabrook! I replaced him with Byfuglien. Not my first choice but still a huge (no pun intended) upgrade over Weber.

Hahaha!  You may not have intended the pun, but those are usually the best for that very reason.  I like BIG BUFF, and could definately see him and Lucic patrolling the ice, especially while our young guys mature.  I don't know about a Cup competitive team, but it would certainly be an improved team, and a better environment for our kids to develop.

well Vrbata,Prust,Cracknell,Hamhuis,Weber all should be traded and

Higgins,Burrows,Jensen,Friesen,Shinkaruk,Vey and Fedun added for bigger trades or traded also

Bring up in near future

Gaunce,Grenier,Kenins,Pedan and Subban!!

If we could make that work our future will look bright and hope we trade for either better D man or a young hard working scorer plus picks!

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hahaha!  You may not have intended the pun, but those are usually the best for that very reason.  I like BIG BUFF, and could definately see him and Lucic patrolling the ice, especially while our young guys mature.  I don't know about a Cup competitive team, but it would certainly be an improved team, and a better environment for our kids to develop.

Yup for sure, it would be nice to have that kind of protection for the kids as they grow. I think we might just be a couple of years away from a Cup competitive team if our prospects can develop well.

19 minutes ago, canucksnhl said:

You think Edler is done? And no way the Sedins get traded after publicly stating their intentions of staying put. So I guess you believe in a full rebuild thus getting rid of pretty much anyone over the age of 30. I highly doubt it but if those highlighted in bold can be replaced with younger and better players, I'm all for it. 

Bingo, I want a full strip it down build it up hockey team. I want a 5-7 year rebuild, it will be tough but you have to believe in the plan.

3 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Bingo, I want a full strip it down build it up hockey team. I want a 5-7 year rebuild, it will be tough but you have to believe in the plan.

I'm not willing to go through an Edmonton rebuild. I live in Edmonton so I see first hand what my Oilers fan friends are going through, and it's not pretty.

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

well then your team should be the oil as we are not doing that and makes no sense we can can get a great team in less time doing what we are!

AriGold I agree with cripplereh here. 5-7 years is longer than most rebuilds. If we're rebuilding, I'd say 3 years max. In 3 years all of our current top prospects in Utica, Russia, Junior, and College should be in our line-up by then.

Landing the two of the biggest fish both physically and figuratively would be awesome but pricey. I'd go long term with lucic like 6mx6yrs because he'll be looking for big money since this is probably his last big contract as well as bufflin. Bufflin at 8m as a lot for guy who is not known for his defensive game, if I'm paying you 8m you better do it all and he doesn't, but that's what he's been rumoured to be looking for. 

I'd go as high as 7m for bufflin because I know he's a true competitor and is not one to just take the money than take a few nights off. 

Sedin-sedin-lucic

edler-bufflin

pp1 would be deadly although I remember hearing lucic doesn't like going to the front of the net, but maybe he's changed. 

17 minutes ago, billabong said:

Landing the two of the biggest fish both physically and figuratively would be awesome but pricey. I'd go long term with lucic like 6mx6yrs because he'll be looking for big money since this is probably his last big contract as well as bufflin. Bufflin at 8m as a lot for guy who is not known for his defensive game, if I'm paying you 8m you better do it all and he doesn't, but that's what he's been rumoured to be looking for. 

I'd go as high as 7m for bufflin because I know he's a true competitor and is not one to just take the money than take a few nights off. 

Sedin-sedin-lucic

edler-bufflin

pp1 would be deadly although I remember hearing lucic doesn't like going to the front of the net, but maybe he's changed. 

Byfuglien actually does it all on both ends of the ice and would be worth it. His defensive awareness could use some work. But overall Byfuglien is a beast out there. If Lucic doesn't want to go in-front of the net (which I doubt will be true if he comes to Van), we could put Byfuglien there instead. Adding Lucic and Byfuglien significantly changes the culture of our team and makes us even more competitive right away.

It would be better to sign them for the cheaper and longer terms you've suggested, but I'm sure other teams will be offering more so hopefully Benning makes the right pitch about our team moving forward. I believe our team is a Lucic and a Byfuglien away from competing for a Cup. They balance our team out in terms of grit and skill.

Is the cap actually expected to go up 5 million? Because if it is, then that's great!

Trades (Deadline)

Trade 1:

To OTT/FLA:

Vrbata

To VAN:

1st Round Pick 2016

Trade 2:

To MTL/NSH/MIN/STL/whoever:

Prust

To VAN:

2nd/3rd Round Pick 2016

Lineup Post Deadline:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Higgins - Horvat - Virtanen

Dorsett - McCann - Cracknell

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bartkowski

Hutton - Sbisa

Offseason Signings:

Targets:

Ladd: 5 years, 5 million per

Demers: 4 years, 4-million per

Hamhuis: 2 years, 3-million per

Baertschi: 2 years, 1.25 million per

Bartkowski: 2 years, 1.75 million per

Cracknell: 2 years, 1-million per

Kenins: 2 years, 800,000 per

Biega: 3 years, 900,000 per

Offseason Trades:

To MIN/NSH/MTL/OTT/EDM/whoever:

Higgins

To VAN:

2nd Round Pick 2017

Total Cap Space:

7.925 million

(assuming the cap goes up 5 million, if it stays the same, we still have 2.925 million in cap space).

I think Vrbata will be worth a 1st at the deadline, especially if he keeps up his recent play. Ottawa and Florida have said they want to add scoring wingers, but it could be anyone that is willing to give up a 1st. Retaining salary wouldn't be out of the question either, as his contract expires at the end of this year, so it doesn't really matter. Prust is a guy contending teams will be looking to add. He has the playoff experience that could help any team.

I think having cap space for the next 3 years is going to be very important. With Horvat, McCann, Virtanen and Hutton all looking like they could be the real deal, we need to make ourselves as flexible as possible. We don't want to have cap problems as a re-tooling team, especially when Horvat, McCann, etc. need new contracts.

I was originally all for signing Lucic, but I had never really considered the locker room aspect. Not that he's bad in the room, but he's had his fair share of run ins with most of the people on our roster. He probably wouldn't be the ideal teammate for the Sedins, Burrows, Edler, Miller, Hamhuis or Hansen. Most of those names played 7 games in the SCF against him, which can't be fun. Lucic also had the incident when he ran over Miller. I'm not concerned about the fans or the cities response, but just the players. If Benning can sit down with the old core and confidently say that they are okay with it, then I would be fine with it, but I doubt that happens.

I think Ladd would be the better player to sign anyways. I think his game could still be pretty effective 5 years down the line. He can, skate, hit and shoot, all things that Benning covets. He would be a great linemate for Baertschi, as he can really open up space for Baertschi to make his plays. The big advantage Ladd has over Lucic is his skating. He is a much better skater than Lucic, which will be a key factor in him being effective in his later years.

Demers is the guy that we NEED to go hard after in my opinion. He is a 27-year old right-handed defenseman currently playing top-4 minutes in Dallas. With Honka coming up, they might not be able to keep him. He will really round out our top-4 and give us some much needed depth on the right side. He could also be a decent partner for Hutton down the line.

Hamhuis will be a decent #4/#5 guy for us for the next 2 years. After that we can probably find a replacement. I don't think we can give up on Baertschi yet. He has shown glimpses of his high-end puckhandling and vision, we just need to be patient. Bartkowski will be a good #7 when injuries inevitably hit our blue line. I think Cracknell has earned a resign and a raise with his consistency and solid play. Kenins and Biega will be good depth options in Utica.

We could have a real dogfight for roster spots/positions next training camp. Gaunce, Shinkaurik and Pedan are the ones that have the best chance to earn a spot. Within the roster, Horvat could jump up to our #2C spot. Hutton and Sbisa will also look for increased roles in the top-4. Markstrom will try to prove that he should be starting for us. There is a lot that can happen at next year's camp.

Summary:

Additions:

Ladd

Demers

1st Round Pick 2016

2nd Round Pick 2016

2nd Round Pick 2017

Retentions:

Hamhuis

Baertshci

Bartkowski

Cracknell

Kenins

Biega

Subtractions:

Vrbata

Prust

Weber

2016-17 Lineup:

*** = Rotation

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Ladd

Burrows - McCann - Sutter

Gaunce* - Cracknell - Dorsett

Shinkaurik*, Kenins

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Demers

Hutton - Sbisa

Pedan, Bartkowski

Miller

Markstrom

I think this is a very good lineup to roll with next season. No real new high-end names, but a greatly improved roster. Horvat gets a very good player to work with in Ladd, and McCann gets plenty of support for his sophomore year with Burrows and Sutter. Gaunce and Shinkaurik can rotate depending on who the opponent is. Our defensive depth is also not only better, but deeper.

Thanks for reading this long post ::D ! I really appreciate it!

Archived