The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Benning keeping eye on Leafs' Corrado

homersexual

I wonder if Shanahan and Lamoriello picked up Corrado without Babcock's approval/knowledge and now Babcock is playing a pissing contest by not playing Corrado. Babcock probably never wanted Corrado in the first place. Remember how happy Corrado was when he found out his hometown Leafs picked him up. I wonder what he is thinking now.

16 minutes ago, homersexual said:

I wonder if Shanahan and Lamoriello picked up Corrado without Babcock's approval/knowledge and now Babcock is playing a pissing contest by not playing Corrado. Babcock probably never wanted Corrado in the first place. Remember how happy Corrado was when he found out his hometown Leafs picked him up. I wonder what he is thinking now.

You've been listening to the Moj.  Credit where credit is due.

if benning makes a trade for corrado he should be fired and lynched on the spot! 

heck if he makes any trade for short term help this year, he should be fired!

Live or die with what we got or make a real hockey trade, no band-aid solutions please...

23 minutes ago, shinker said:

if benning makes a trade for corrado he should be fired and lynched on the spot! 

Live or die with what we got or make a real hockey trade, no band-aid solutions please...

Relax, take a deep breath buddy. ^_^

Benning has to forget about Corrado.   What is done is done, nothing we can do about it.   What he can do is to remain actively looking for any help on the back end without hurting our asset management.   This is Leafs' problem for not using Corrado.   His development has been ruined.   Leafs' brass probably thought claiming Corrado is a good idea if he is going to play but the problem is that Babcock has not used him.   Practicing with the team will not help Corrado much even if he get much instruction by the best coach in the world.  It is the game experience that will get more learning than practice ever will and he is at least a season behind of everybody in term of development.  He will be waived and claimed by the Canucks sooner or later.  Corrado will not be happy about how Leafs treated him now and when it come to a free agent in the near future, he will be looking for opportunity to play with other team.

I think fans are just blowing this out of proportion. All Benning really said is he figured a team that claims a player on waivers should be playing that player. It's true. It doesn't mean he's completely pursing it. It's probably just been an option he's looked at just to see if it's possible.

2 hours ago, shinker said:

I wouldn't really worry. The only trades he made last year at the deadline were for either longterm players (like Baertschi) or for Utica.

I'm pretty sure if Benning makes a trade for a vet, it'll be for someone who can help us as we continue through our transition years. It's been a breath of fresh air in my opinion that we haven't traded for someone like Roy or Pahlsson (even though I liked getting Pahlsson at that time).

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think fans are just blowing this out of proportion. All Benning really said is he figured a team that claims a player on waivers should be playing that player. It's true. It doesn't mean he's completely pursing it. It's probably just been an option he's looked at just to see if it's possible.

He can't really say anything about players on other teams but yes, he didn't say this more than he didn't say they'd be interested in getting him back 

Meh I wouldn't be opposed to trading for him.  Does it look terrible?  Oh absolutely. But take emotion out of it for a second. Trading for him is would not actually be the bad part of this situation, the bad part was letting him go for nothing in the first place, and that's already been done, there's nothing we can do about.  We've already given up assets for nothing, and letting him stay in Toronto doesn't actually fix anything or bring those assets back.  If we can get a good deal on him, I would rather trade for Corrado over someone with less potential.

Put it this way: If we could get him for a mid round pick, would you rather forfeit Corrado for free or a pick for free?  At the end of the day, we're losing something anyway, we really have no choice.

1 hour ago, Quoted said:

Even if grabbed on waivers the amount of depth gained is marginal (there's a reason they let him go and TO isn't playing him).

If TO puts him on waivers (which would be the right thing to do), Frankie will be returned to Utica.  Just as it was supposed to be.

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If TO puts him on waivers (which would be the right thing to do), Frankie will be returned to Utica.  Just as it was supposed to be.

Makes sense. If they aren't going to play him, set him free. Not good player management or respectful to the player. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I thought he was playing for the Laffers this Tuesday.

Yeah, barring a practice injury, Frankie is slated to finally play his first game for the Leafs.

And according to Botchford (see today's column in the Province), the only reason he hasn't played is because Babcock didn't appreciate management making the waiver claim without consulting him. Don't know if there's truth to the rumour but it would suggest a pretty interesting dynamic in T.O. if Babcock sits a player for ten weeks just to make a point about how much input he expects to have in putting together their roster.

Archived