The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Penguins fire Coach Mike Johnston, replaced with Sullivan

Mimerez

14 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Good for them. Johnston was terrible at line management and employed a style that didn't play to the strengths of the teams makeup.

Guys like Plotnikov, Sprong and Bennett were secondary options to over the hill slugs in Dupuis and Kunitz.

Fail.

Bennet is playing on the top line, whereas Sprong (a teenager) and Plotnikov (2 career NHL points in 22 games) have not earned the spots of players like Kunitz who has been scoring 50-60 points for the past 5 years lol.

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/36/pittsburgh-penguins

Besides, if Rutherford wanted his kids to be primary  options he shouldn't have plugged his lineup full of players like Dupuis, Fehr, Cullen...

When you screw the future of your franchise however....

Hey, scapegoat the young coach!

Easily one of  the worst concepts of team-building in the NHL.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Fail.

Bennet is playing on the top line, whereas Sprong (a teenager) and Plotnikov (2 career NHL points in 22 games) have not earned the spots of players like Kunitz who has been scoring 50-60 points for the past 5 years lol.

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/36/pittsburgh-penguins

Besides, if Rutherford wanted his kids to be primary  options he shouldn't have plugged his lineup full of players like Dupuis, Fehr, Cullen...

When you screw the future of your franchise however....

Hey, scapegoat the young coach!

Easily one of  the worst concepts of team-building in the NHL.

Bennett is playing on the top line but that only happened within the last week.

Kunitz has been absolute trash for the better part of this season. Him and Dupuis have survived purely on reputation.

Plotnikov had a rough start but has settled in nicely and seems a lot more comfortable playing his game now. He'll see top six time soon and rightfully so.

Sprong I shouldn't even have to explain.

He's of the same kin as Baertschi and Shinkaruk. You don't put him in your bottom six period. This mentality of earning your ice time is from the stone age and should be used on project players, not high end talents.

EDIT: No need to scapegoat, he's a defensive minded coach. Not a good fit for the Penguins. 

8 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Bennett is playing on the top line but that only happened within the last week.

Kunitz has been absolute trash for the better part of this season. Him and Dupuis have survived purely on reputation.

Plotnikov had a rough start but has settled in nicely and seems a lot more comfortable playing his game now. He'll see top six time soon and rightfully so.

Sprong I shouldn't even have to explain.

He's of the same kin as Baertschi and Shinkaruk. You don't put him in your bottom six period. This mentality of earning your ice time is from the stone age and should be used on project players, not high end talents.

EDIT: No need to scapegoat, he's a defensive minded coach. Not a good fit for the Penguins. 

there is the stone age thinking.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Like I said in another thread.

Since 2013 the Pens have traded something like 7 or 8 prospects and if I recall another 7 or 8 picks between the 1st and 5th rounds.  They have no depth and little to no futures.

Their best bet now is to simply accept the inevitable and trade either Crosby or Malkin because Kessel isn't going anywhere and having something like 40 million in payroll between 4 or 5 players in Crosby Fleury Malkin Letang and Kessel  isn't winning you squat but mediocrity

What's funny is that they aren't really in a position to win either now (with their collapse) or in the future (with the lack of future prospects), yet the first person gone is the coach.  Einstein once said that "doing the same things and expecting different results = insanity", and that's clearly what's going on here, in that they stick with an all-out offensive (on paper) and top-heavy, free-spending plan which depletes the team of both cap space and future potential while loading up on expensive vets.  Oddly enough, even with their elite forward group they're 4th worst in the league in goals for, while their defense has them at 6th best in goals against (behind Quick, Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby and Price's teams), though their scoring is barely enough per-game to keep them above breakeven for GF and GA.  Talk about backward.   

In terms of potential solutions for the team, totally agreed with the suggestion of trading Sid or Geno, as one of them should easily get a top-6 center, top prospect and 1st in return.  What's more, if they could find a buyer for Letang who'd give them a young puck-mover back and trade some of the veteran wings for picks they could easily open up cap space and optimize the current forward while giving them money to work with to build their defensive group moving forward.  I can't see things ending well for this current group of stars if management is stuck on their top-heavy ways though, as they'd simply have no support. 

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's not often this is a true statement....... They should have hired Pierre McGuire as their GM.

Couldn't have been worse than Rutherford.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/pierre-mcguire-thought-penguins-gm-job-was-his-184235346.html

For all the flak Pierre gets for being Pierre, only a fool would deny that he is undoubtedly one of the most knowledgeable guys in the business. I think GMPM would have worked out.

1 hour ago, Gstank29 said:

DIdnt Mcguire say Kessel would get 40 this year:rolleyes:

I predicted 50. I thought with a play-maker like Sid and his shot that he would thrive there. Wow was I way off.

Work ethic counts for a lot and he doesn't have one. Should've known better.

The Penguins style of play the last time we played them reminded me of Jaques Lemaires Minnesota Wild of the early 2000's...boring and ugly....Its unwatchable.

So what do the Penguins do..?..hire Mike Sullivan..More of the same really..unwatchable.....A lateral move at best..

GET MIKE JOHNSTON IN THIS SYSTEM!!!! RIGHT NOW BENNING!!!

Johnston and Green were awesome together in the Dub. Three appearances in the finals over 6 years. Also part of the WCE years in Vancouver and would understand the pressure in this city. Coached the Sedins before.

Get him as an assistant in Utica and him and Green can take over the Canucks next year or the year after and be insurance in the meantime. Come on Benning!!

Archived