The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Penguins fire Coach Mike Johnston, replaced with Sullivan

Mimerez

30 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

GET MIKE JOHNSTON IN THIS SYSTEM!!!! RIGHT NOW BENNING!!!

Johnston and Green were awesome together in the Dub. Three appearances in the finals over 6 years. Also part of the WCE years in Vancouver and would understand the pressure in this city. Coached the Sedins before.

Get him as an assistant in Utica and him and Green can take over the Canucks next year or the year after and be insurance in the meantime. Come on Benning!!

I dont think Johnson would want to be an AHL assistant coach. Maybe an NHL assistant coach

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Something is definitely amiss when the Penguins are 27th in overall league scoring....Also,I wonder what the general consensus is for GM Rutherford,who was lauded for his genius moves in the off season..?...Its not looking good right now.

On the other hand only a couple teams are giving up fewer goals - and that's with a floater like the Pastry in their lineup.

Not all of us found Rutherford's moves "genius" - I think they've crapped the bed as frequently as any team - and aside from the depth addition of Fehr, I can't see anything worth praising them for.

At one point they had one of the most promising pools of D prospects in the NHL - if not the best and deepest - which they've proceeded to squander.   So many poor rentals, always chasing shiny forward assets when they are porous....

I think Johnston has done the near impossible and turned that group into something resembling defensive responsibility - which a team needs to be to have any hope in hell of succeeding in the playoffs.  I hope they go revert to their signature Penguins style lol - I always enjoy watching them get lit up and dispatched in the first round of the playoffs. 

The future is pretty dull in Pittsburgh.

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

On the other hand only a couple teams are giving up fewer goals - and that's with a floater like the Pastry in their lineup.

Not all of us found Rutherford's moves "genius" - I think they've crapped the bed as frequently as any team - and aside from the depth addition of Fehr, I can't see anything worth praising them for.

At one point they had one of the most promising pools of D prospects in the NHL - if not the best and deepest - which they've proceeded to squander.   So many poor rentals, always chasing shiny forward assets when they are porous....

I think Johnston has done the near impossible and turned that group into something resembling defensive responsibility - which a team needs to be to have any hope in hell of succeeding in the playoffs.  I hope they go revert to their signature Penguins style lol - I always enjoy watching them get lit up and dispatched in the first round of the playoffs. 

The future is pretty dull in Pittsburgh.

True. Malkin and Crosby were great in the 2009 playoffs, but what put the team over the top was the defensive and 2-way play of the role players.

And not just Jordan Staal as the 3rd line center. Talbot was just entering his prime, and was probably the best 4th line center in the league. Orpik and Gill were two of the better defensive defensemen around. Vets like Guerin and Fedotenko knew how to play at both ends of the rink. And not to mention Gonchar, who was still very effective at that time.

What do they have now? Fehr, Bonino, a battered Scuderi...nothing in comparison. But they should have realized that at least one of the big-ticket guys had to go. The whole reason they won in the first place was that they had excellent players on entry level contracts, so they could afford good players around them.

59 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Something is definitely amiss when the Penguins are 27th in overall league scoring....Also,I wonder what the general consensus is for GM Rutherford,who was lauded for his genius moves in the off season..?...Its not looking good right now.

His moves weren't that good in my opinion. While Kessel might have worked, that was a huuuuuge risk with that contract and likely one that will cost them for a while. Too many big contracts on that team, hardly any prospects in the cupboard to come in and fill holes, and not enough cap space to fill the team with good players.

People complain about Benning trading away 2nd rounders, but at least he's not Rutherford. ;)

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Like I said in another thread.

Since 2013 the Pens have traded something like 7 or 8 prospects and if I recall another 7 or 8 picks between the 1st and 5th rounds.  They have no depth and little to no futures.

Their best bet now is to simply accept the inevitable and trade either Crosby or Malkin because Kessel isn't going anywhere and having something like 40 million in payroll between 4 or 5 players in Crosby Fleury Malkin Letang and Kessel  isn't winning you squat but mediocrity

^^^This year after year, trading defensive prospects. When they traded Simon Despres for Ben Lovejoy, I knew damn well Pittsburgh was heading for a crash. 

The cost of being duhhhmb....

Simon Despres

Joe Morrow

Philip Samuelsson

Robert Bortuzzo

Scott Harrington

I mean - Ben Lovejoy to Anaheim for a 5th round pick - and then back to Pittsburgh for Simon Despres!

And this guy has the authority to fire a coach.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The cost of being duhhhmb....

Simon Despres

Joe Morrow

Philip Samuelsson

Robert Bortuzzo

Scott Harrington

I mean - Ben Lovejoy to Anaheim for a 5th round pick - and then back to Pittsburgh for Simon Despres!

And this guy has the authority to fire a coach.

Pretty much this. I don't understand how Rutherford even has a job still. The Penguins ownership must have let Rutherford's fluke cup dazzle or something. Certainly nothing logical supporting that hiring looking at such a "successful" team Carolina's been after (and before) that cup run.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The Canucks should make Johnston an offer - right now.

Imo he'd make one hell of an assistant - and I don't know, but I imagine he and WD would work extremely well together.

Is that Sullivan the assistant to Torts, while here?

Archived