The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defence Options

BUCKFIFTY

Wondering what Vancouver's defence options are.

1. Who are the Vancouver farm teams?

2. Who have they signed already?

3. Any free agents on the horizon?

4. Why did they sign Briseboise?

5. Anyone have an idea who would be a good fit?

Looking for opinions and facts.

The 2016 UFA class for defencemen has some real solid guys:

1. Kieth Yandle- absolute beast offensive guy, great for a true PP point guy, can really skate, is 29 so at least 4 more solid years left. 

2. Adam Pardy- we have not had a guy with size on the backend, someone nasty who can clear the net. He is a cheap option and can really toughen up our backend. This is the type of underrated signing that transforms a team. 

Other than that we got Pedan, Trymakin, Subban and Hutton to work around, but hopefully we snag a good one in the draft. We are just 2 solid defenceman away from creating something back there. 

36 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Brisebois.... We drafted him?

You don't know the farm team or anyone we've signed? Do you even watch the Canucks? What

Lots of people follow the Canucks but not the farm team. I've been following the Canucks for over 3 decades and I don't know every player in the system. Why are you trying to shame someone for asking a simple question?  

51 minutes ago, BUCKFIFTY said:

Not sure if these questions are serious for someone on CDC. But I will bite.

The primary (AHL) farm team is the Utica Comets. Check out their website to see the roster, stats, etc.The lower level farm team is the Kalamazoo Wings in the ECHL.

Check out General Fanager on the web to see who they have signed. The top prospects in Utica include Andrey Pedan, Ashton Sautner, and Jordan Subban. Only Pedan is remotely close to being ready for the NHL. McEneny, Cederholm, and Tryamkin are other prospects currently playing professionally.

In junior the Canucks have Brisebois, Carl Neill and Tate Olson. Those guys are all doing well given where they were drafted but are all longshots to become NHL-level contributors any time soon.

There is no information content in signing Brisboise. It was just a question of "when", not "if" as they drafted him in the third round last year.

Don't hold your breath for free agents.

Hutton surprised everyone by making the team and is playing well. Looks like he will soon be a solid top 4 guy (probably next year). With Edler Tanev and Sbisa until contract for a while, the Canucks could use another good D for next year. I hope that Hammer recovers and they re-sign him. And it might be reasonable to be optimistic about Pedan.

57 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

Lots of people follow the Canucks but not the farm team. I've been following the Canucks for over 3 decades and I don't know every player in the system. Why are you trying to shame someone for asking a simple question?  

I'm not shaming him. It takes 10 seconds to google Canucks Farm team or free agents.

It was 5 simple questions and you answered none of them.

Brisebois might be a season or two or three away.  Kids oozes potential but we will want to take our time with him.  Maybe a short stint next year if he stands out at camp.   I expect he'll be in utica for a season or two b4 he gets the call up though.  (Unless he stands on his head defensively.)

Hes going to be a real gem tho :D

2 hours ago, BUCKFIFTY said:

Alright, I will try. I'm kind of a super fan, like a lot of people on here (guess that's why we are here).

1. Farm teams are the Utica Comets in the AHL and Kalamazoo in the ECHL. Utica is supplied by players signed to contracts with the Canucks and players who signed contracts with Utica. The players that play in the AHL that are signed by the Canucks are signed to NHL contracts. There are a lot of players that play in the AHL that are signed by Utica, these players are signed to AHL contracts. The Kalamazoo Wings are supplied by multiple NHL teams (which I believe is set to end next year) and have a lot of players signed to NHL contracts. They also have players signed to ECHL contracts. The AHL is the primary farm league and the ECHL is the secondary farm league. 

2. Players signed already are mostly playing at the AHL level. It is a young crop. The top defensive prospects in Utica include Andrey Pedan, Ashton Sautner, and Jordan Subban. Only Pedan is remotely close to being ready for the NHL. Travis Green (coach of the Comets) was quoted as saying Pedan is 80% ready to play in the NHL as opposed to the estimated 40% readiness he exhibited at this point last year (when we acquired him). Other guys signed are signed to AHL contracts. The outlier here is Taylor Fedun, who is singed to an NHL contract. He was signed to help bridge the gap but is also injured. He missed a year of development to injury recently so is a bit behind but has a reasonable shot at providing some NHL help for a few years. 

3.FA's not really. Don't hold your breath, doesn't happen often that they are signed mid season. I suppose to answer your question: Douglas Murray, Tim Gleason, Andrej Meszaros, Lubomir Visnovky etc. Not really guys we should be chasing given our trajectory IMO. 

4. You generally sign your top prospects to pro contracts. Teams have the option to wait until players are exiting Junior. If they don't sign them by this time they re-enter the draft. He is performing well, they signed him to ensure that at the end of the year he can join the Utica Comets and see some pro hockey. Non consequential signing at this point. Everyone expected this. There are limits to the amount of players in the system (75) and payers signed to pro contracts (50). So there are those limitations to be mindful of. 

5. In terms of fit, I think that is an opinion question. My answers would be Fedun and Pedan. I think Biega has been good so far. I wouldn't want them to re-acquire Corrado. I would love to get another young D. However, you have to give quality to get quality. So barring a big trade, I wouldn't anticipate much. I think the roster is gonna be pretty static moving forward until about February. I would think there are some changes coming, but likely not till close to the deadline. I think it's important for the team to struggle right now, management needs to know what we've got in some players (Hutton, Sbisa, Bartkoski, Biega, Pedan, Weber) and in the team generally. So, let the chips fall.

Short term solutions would be detrimental to the wellness of the franchise moving forward. Hope that helps, here are some resources for you:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=VAN

http://uticacomets.com/roster/

First of all, thanks for not using caps in the title. Wouldn't mind the starting post being in normal font though as your current font's much harder to read, at least for me.

Anyway, from what I gather there are not a lot of defense options out there in terns of trade talks at the moment, at least that's from Benning's interviews. A lot of teams want defense, so the asking price on defenders is high.

Grizzly answered the basic stuff you asked. (And to those wondering why he's asking, if he doesn't know he doesn't know. There's no such thing as a stupid question ;))

4 hours ago, BUCKFIFTY said:

1. There's a whole sub-forum for the farm team, the Utica Comets, and our prospects.
  2. See above.
  3. Sure, in the summer once their current contracts are up.
  4. There's a thread on the signing and another on him as a prospect, plenty of answers there.
  5. We could trade for someone, otherwise we'll use Pedan and whoever else is ready.

If you want to look for opinions and facts, you can start by looking at all the sub-forums and threads dedicated to the topics.

4 hours ago, 6YPE said:

You don't have to know every player in the system, but I bet you'd look to see if there was a thread created on the signing and be able to figure out pretty quickly he was one of our prospects. This isn't the OP's first thread that he could have easily found what he was looking for elsewhere on CDC.

5 hours ago, BUCKFIFTY said:

1- Florida panthers

2- The Sedin's, Edler, Sutter and Bure

3- No, they play hockey not basketball

4- Because he had a pen

5- your mom

Facts

13 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

The 2016 UFA class for defencemen has some real solid guys:

1. Kieth Yandle- absolute beast offensive guy, great for a true PP point guy, can really skate, is 29 so at least 4 more solid years left. 

2. Adam Pardy- we have not had a guy with size on the backend, someone nasty who can clear the net. He is a cheap option and can really toughen up our backend. This is the type of underrated signing that transforms a team. 

Other than that we got Pedan, Trymakin, Subban and Hutton to work around, but hopefully we snag a good one in the draft. We are just 2 solid defenceman away from creating something back there. 

He sure is, he had a BEAST of a giveaway last night in the Calgary game. 

But wait, is Yandle not supposed to be elite and only Edler has giveaways in the NHL?

Tate Olsen is ripping it up in junior, so is Carl Neill...they are both big and have alot of upside.

Tryamkin is starting to show his O. abilities and is a huge young man.

Pedan is coming on and Subban could still turn into an offesive dynamo.

Pedan and Tryamkin have a shot at making the team next year all the rest are 2 to 4 years away from the NHL unless Olsen's trajectory stays as high and fast as it has been this year...then he may get a shot as a callup from Utica as soon as xmas next year.

8 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Olsen's trajectory stays as high and fast as it has been this year...then he may get a shot as a callup from Utica as soon as xmas next year.

I see Olson in PG next year.  At 6'2"  185lbs he's not physically mature enough to be playing pro against men.   

He's not the guy who's going to skate the puck out of the zone,  he's the guy who's supposed to clear the net, you don't do that at his weight imo.

I've been in PG for work this year on/off about 12 times and have seen probably 8 games at CN Centre, Olsen plays in PG next year from what I can tell.

Archived