The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Sheilds talk (PTO)

SilentSam

This is more than likely the "trickle down" effect of the Dave Hamhuis injury. ..But the "Profesional Try-Out" offer to David Sheilds may have come at the perfect time in his career,. His latest numbers in the ECHL are above average,. Lets hope this is a case of a big D-man priming late. 

Here's hoping the local Utica bloggers can keep us on the West  Coast  up to date.

good luck David Sheilds.

http://uticacomets.com/comets-sign-shields-to-a-pto/ 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=106860

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This is more than likely the "trickle down" effect of the Dave Hamhuis injury. ..But the "Profesional Try-Out" offer to David Sheilds may have come at the perfect time in his career,. His latest numbers in the ECHL are above average,. Lets hope this is a case of a big D-man priming late. 

Here's hoping the local Utica bloggers can keep us on the West  Coast  up to date.

good luck David Sheilds.

http://uticacomets.com/comets-sign-shields-to-a-pto/ 

Sounds like a real difference maker, or do I mean pizza maker?  Seriously, how is this news?  He's a stop gap fill a roster spot guy due to injuries.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like a real difference maker, or do I mean pizza maker?  Seriously, how is this news?  He's a stop gap fill a roster spot guy due to injuries.  

Easy to fill gaps Alf, but perhaps theres a new template by JB to finding Big D-men with potential.. Pedan was one of those.

i have personally experienced an injury like that of Hamhuis.. 2 month recovery would be amazing, but unfortunately its more like 3 months. even after the teeth and bone knit together,. everything is overly sensitive to cold, and there is pain with a moderate rise in blood pressure and heart rate. I think this is hardly the "stop gap" situation we are all thinking it is. 

I just wish Mr. Sheilds luck with this opportunity,. Someone scouting on the East Coast may have found a gem.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Easy to fill gaps Alf, but perhaps theres a new template by JB to finding Big D-men with potential.. Pedan was one of those.

i have personally experienced an injury like that of Hamhuis.. 2 month recovery would be amazing, but unfortunately its more like 3 months. even after the teeth and bone knit together,. everything is overly sensitive to cold, and there is pain with a moderate rise in blood pressure and heart rate. I think this is hardly the "stop gap" situation we are all thinking it is. 

I just wish Mr. Sheilds luck with this opportunity,. Someone scouting on the East Coast may have found a gem.

I hope you're right.  Defence tend to develop later, like the mid 20s.  Is he a tough hard to play against guy?

Well his stats might help. 8 goals in 5 years, total PIM's 93season ir he's averaging 18 PIM's a season sure doesn't sound like a step up guy and play making or scoring seems to be low 45 assists and 8 goals in 5 seasons ie  1.6 goals a season and 9 assist per season  doesn't quite suggest he's the next Bobby Orr :-) Not sure what he does offer he was avaiable to all AHL/NHL teams for a long time. PTO....don't hold your breath and fellas lets have a little reality. I'm surprised they were willing to look past McEnemy, Cederholme and Stewart in this guys favour

is there no nhl proven d we could have signed to a deal? Is mark fistric retired or out of the game? He has size, not great speed dont get me wrong but could be a stop gap while hammer is gone

Our D depth sure took a hit with Benning trading and losing 2 young rhd within a couple months of eachother. Has he ever been asked why he never got more D depth to replace either of them

18 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Exactly it' a sign of desperation. Shields has been around for a long time and is now onto his 5th team since he turned pro. Might be tall but few PIM's, 8 goals in  5 seasons.

Doesn't say a lot for McEnemy, Cedarholme or Stewart

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well his stats might help. 8 goals in 5 years, total PIM's 93season ir he's averaging 18 PIM's a season sure doesn't sound like a step up guy and play making or scoring seems to be low 45 assists and 8 goals in 5 seasons ie  1.6 goals a season and 9 assist per season  doesn't quite suggest he's the next Bobby Orr :-) Not sure what he does offer he was avaiable to all AHL/NHL teams for a long time. PTO....don't hold your breath and fellas lets have a little reality. I'm surprised they were willing to look past McEnemy, Cederholme and Stewart in this guys favour

I see his latest stats as 2goals 7assists in 15 games. .. and who said anybody is looking past anybody? Depth is needed in Utica,. and they have found someone trying to "up" his game.. nothing wrong with finding it at 6'3" and 24-25 yrs.

... Besides,. Bobby Orr is much older now,. and I think he retired.. 

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

For the Blues to draft him, i think so.. This clip is from 2013, seems like a team player ;)

http://youtu.be/sdFevWPN8MI

Hey that voice sounds familiar. Brendan Burke was the voice of the Peoria Rivermen before coming over to the Comets.

I wouldn't put too much into the Shields PTO. The Comets needed a 6th dman with Pedan being called up and will still need a 7th with the Fedun injury. It's either time for another PTO, a Cederholm call up or changing Stewart from wing back to defense. 

If you know how to skate backwards the Comets are actively taking résumés for defensemen.

Seriously this shows the poor planning by not signing another depth dman during the off season and for letting Frankie get away for nothing.

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is news because it's what's happening. I certainly didn't know about it until this thread and I thank the op for bringing it up. ;)

52 minutes ago, Yotes said:

is there no nhl proven d we could have signed to a deal? Is mark fistric retired or out of the game? He has size, not great speed dont get me wrong but could be a stop gap while hammer is gone

Our D depth sure took a hit with Benning trading and losing 2 young rhd within a couple months of eachother. Has he ever been asked why he never got more D depth to replace either of them

Benning's said a couple of times that a lot of teams are looking for defensemen at the moment. They're fairly expensive to acquire at the moment. I would also imagine that, as a result, if a decent defenseman is not signed, he's probably not as decent as people think, at least not as he used to be.

As much as I would like to think he'll be the next diamond in the rough, I don't think it'll happen. Signed to a PTO and not just a contract, and he's been a mediocre defenseman at best in the AHL. I've got to think he's going to be a 6th 7th dman at best with the Comets.

Just now, Fred65 said:

Reality tells you as much. You don't find diamonds in the rough mid season and sign them to a PTO for likely peanuts. I still don't know why they didn't bring in McEnemy or Cedarholm....that's why we have a ECHL team in the first place

McEneny is hurt. He has only played a total of 4 games all year - 2 in Utica and 2 in the Zoo.

Cederholm I have to assume either they want him playing ever game in the Zoo instead of sitting in Utica or Green just didn't like what he saw in training camp.

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Seriously this shows the poor planning by not signing another depth dman during the off season and for letting Frankie get away for nothing.

Yeah because Benning wanted Toronto to pick up Corrado. He wasn't fit to make this team and letting him sit in the press box and not play didn't make sense going forward. Can hardly blame management for the Corrado situation.

23 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

McEneny is hurt. He has only played a total of 4 games all year - 2 in Utica and 2 in the Zoo.

Cederholm I have to assume either they want him playing ever game in the Zoo instead of sitting in Utica or Green just didn't like what he saw in training camp.

My guess would be they don't need to replace a bottom pairing/defensive player, which Cederholm would be suited for. With us calling up Pedan and Fedun injured, they could use offensive help. Shields is probably as close as you'll find without making a trade for AHL support.

56 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah because Benning wanted Toronto to pick up Corrado. He wasn't fit to make this team and letting him sit in the press box and not play didn't make sense going forward. Can hardly blame management for the Corrado situation.

No when you need to get down to roster size at the begining of the season you keep Corrado ( he's not waiver eligable ) and send down a player that is waiver elgible ie some one you can move back and forth as need/injury dictates. They lost Corrado IMO because of bad management. Plus maybe they shouldn't have kept Cracknell he's OK but we had Sutter, Henrik, Horvat and McCann as centres and mix and match your wingers as you will

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

No when you need to get down to roster size at the begining of the season you keep Corrado ( he's not waiver eligable ) and send down a player that is waiver elgible ie some one you can move back and forth as need/injury dictates. They lost Corrado IMO because of bad management. Plus maybe they shouldn't have kept Cracknell he's OK but we had Sutter, Henrik, Horvat and McCann as centres and mix and match your wingers as you will

I agree that the Corrado waivers was mismanaged. A 22 year old defenseman who still has some upside potential is most likely going to be claimed and he was. Vancouver could have done exactly what Toronto did and kept him in a press box initially and then send him down for conditioning to keep him fresh. The inevitable injury would happen where Frankie could be used. Poor asset management IMHO especially after trading Clendening and not signing another depth defenseman to stash in Utica.

Injuries happen and it is not that unusual for them to come in bunches. You have to plan for that scenario with depth signings. With Pedan called up the only defensemen left on NHL contracts are all rookies. Trust me when I say that Subban and Sautner are no where near NHL ready and apparently Cederholm isn't even AHL ready.

The firing of Henning and Gilman is really noticeable right now.

Archived