The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Sheilds talk (PTO)

SilentSam

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

No when you need to get down to roster size at the begining of the season you keep Corrado ( he's not waiver eligable ) and send down a player that is waiver elgible ie some one you can move back and forth as need/injury dictates. They lost Corrado IMO because of bad management. Plus maybe they shouldn't have kept Cracknell he's OK but we had Sutter, Henrik, Horvat and McCann as centres and mix and match your wingers as you will

You'd take Corrado in the press box over Hutton? Yeah, okay.

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

No when you need to get down to roster size at the begining of the season you keep Corrado ( he's not waiver eligable ) and send down a player that is waiver elgible ie some one you can move back and forth as need/injury dictates. They lost Corrado IMO because of bad management. Plus maybe they shouldn't have kept Cracknell he's OK but we had Sutter, Henrik, Horvat and McCann as centres and mix and match your wingers as you will

So basically, because Benning didn't do what you wanted him to do, he's bad management. So it has nothing to do with a defenseman (Hutton) outplaying another defenseman (Corrado)? Plus they shouldn't have kept a player that deserved a spot and has played well for us in Cracknell?

0dd52b1a7ac1a884f7c1370bc0450ed9705cb0b5

Utica's d is severely depleted with a couple of their guys playing for Vancouver now.  DS is the perfect temporary fill in as this is a big opportunity for him and he'll play really hard to make a point for an extension.

Hope he can do well in the AHL (for awhile), but have no expectations beyond that.

10 hours ago, The Lock said:

So basically, because Benning didn't do what you wanted him to do, he's bad management. So it has nothing to do with a defenseman (Hutton) outplaying another defenseman (Corrado)? Plus they shouldn't have kept a player that deserved a spot and has played well for us in Cracknell?

0dd52b1a7ac1a884f7c1370bc0450ed9705cb0b5

Benning took a gamble that didn't work. At the time most NHL teams had their rosters set and waiving Corrado might have worked. You mentioned Hutton who had a great camp. Another consideration is how much youth would have been reasonable in that line up? They had Hutton, McCann and Virtanen as rookies and Horvat and Kennans as 2nd year pros. Suggestions that Benning is incompetent is a joke.

5 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Corrado was mishandled by the Gillis regime too. He should never have been waiver eligible this year to begin with.

It was bad asset management when they let a 19 year old Corrado play 4 game in the playoffs and use up a year of waiver exemption.  Then Benning doubled down on bad asset management by exposing a 22 year old D prospect to waivers in October.  The first bad decision Benning inherited, the second one he owns.

There were other options with Hutton being waiver exempt and if they were dead set on Hutton making the opening day roster see below.  Or they could have taken their chances on waiving Weber instead.  Still a risk but a 27 year old journeyman on a $1.5M one way contract is likely less desirable than a 22 year old prospect on a two way $632.5K/$67.5K contract.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-take-unnecessary-risk-exposing-frank-corrado-to-waivers-1.2077665

"Corrado has been NHL-ready for at least two seasons and now the Canucks risk losing him for nothing. If all goes well, Corrado will slip through waivers without getting claimed, but the frustrating part is that none of this was necessary. This was not an either/or situation. It wasn't Hutton or Corrado: they could have had both.

With Chris Higgins injured, the Canucks could have temporarily sent Hutton down to the AHL, declared their 23-man roster by the Tuesday deadline, then put Higgins on long-term injured reserve and called Hutton back up. It would have meant carrying 8 defencemen on the roster, but with the risk of injuries, that’s not always a bad thing, particularly when it means that you don’t risk losing a 22-year-old, right-shooting, NHL-ready defenceman for nothing.

What’s maddening is that the Canucks were aware of this and still sent Corrado down."

- See more at: http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-take-unnecessary-risk-exposing-frank-corrado-to-waivers-1.2077665#sthash.TgmKlZA1.dpuf

6 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Corrado was mishandled by the Gillis regime too. He should never have been waiver eligible this year to begin with.

I think this falls on coach AV for playing him, but I guess ultimately the GM can over ride the coach and tell him to sit a player so he doesnt burn a year of his contract

19 hours ago, Fred65 said:

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

I like the sound of Signing a defenseman named Shields. That is all.

:) .. There's a kid named Thrower not getting any icetime in the Habs system who needs a chance too ;)

... Having said that, lets keep this thread for David Sheilds guys and gals!    Good Luck to Mr Sheilds,. I would have loved to have had this opportunity back in my 20's ! B)

some great fans in Utica , give er eh!!

19 hours ago, SilentSam said:

This is more than likely the "trickle down" effect of the Dave Hamhuis injury. ..But the "Profesional Try-Out" offer to David Sheilds may have come at the perfect time in his career,. His latest numbers in the ECHL are above average,. Lets hope this is a case of a big D-man priming late. 

Here's hoping the local Utica bloggers can keep us on the West  Coast  up to date.

good luck David Sheilds.

http://uticacomets.com/comets-sign-shields-to-a-pto/ 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=106860

That's some crazy hopes you have for a guy who has done pretty much zero in his pro career.  It looks to me that he's nothing more than a warm body to fill a roster spot while the Canucks/Comets deal with a depleted d-corps.  

Not sure if you've noticed or not, but the Comets now have Darren Archibald and Jon Landry on PTOs...and they cut loose Drew Daniels loose after a short looksy.  IMO, it's more likely that Shields will follow Daniels' footstep than become anything special for the Comets.

The Comets should have checked up on Kent Huskins to see if he was still available to play.

Sheilds stats of late in the ECHL are above average.. Its interesting, and the norm for big boys playing defence to grow into their bodys and develop later. 

10 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

That's some crazy hopes you have for a guy who has done pretty much zero in his pro career.  It looks to me that he's nothing more than a warm body to fill a roster spot while the Canucks/Comets deal with a depleted d-corps.  

Not sure if you've noticed or not, but the Comets now have Darren Archibald and Jon Landry on PTOs...and they cut loose Drew Daniels loose after a short looksy.  IMO, it's more likely that Shields will follow Daniels' footstep than become anything special for the Comets.

The Comets should have checked up on Kent Huskins to see if he was still available to play.

If it wasnt for "hope", most kids/men would just quit playing hockey altogether. Sometimes people "should do" a lot of things.. I for one wish Mr Sheilds the best of luck with this opportunity with the Utica Comets. I hold the same hope for him as i do all young men playing this game and risking their health and welfare in it.   ...after all, its a major injury that created this movement.

Again.. Good luck Mr Sheilds.

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

It was bad asset management when they let a 19 year old Corrado play 4 game in the playoffs and use up a year of waiver exemption.  Then Benning doubled down on bad asset management by exposing a 22 year old D prospect to waivers in October.  The first bad decision Benning inherited, the second one he owns.

There were other options with Hutton being waiver exempt and if they were dead set on Hutton making the opening day roster see below.  Or they could have taken their chances on waiving Weber instead.  Still a risk but a 27 year old journeyman on a $1.5M one way contract is likely less desirable than a 22 year old prospect on a two way $632.5K/$67.5K contract.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-take-unnecessary-risk-exposing-frank-corrado-to-waivers-1.2077665

"Corrado has been NHL-ready for at least two seasons and now the Canucks risk losing him for nothing. If all goes well, Corrado will slip through waivers without getting claimed, but the frustrating part is that none of this was necessary. This was not an either/or situation. It wasn't Hutton or Corrado: they could have had both.

With Chris Higgins injured, the Canucks could have temporarily sent Hutton down to the AHL, declared their 23-man roster by the Tuesday deadline, then put Higgins on long-term injured reserve and called Hutton back up. It would have meant carrying 8 defencemen on the roster, but with the risk of injuries, that’s not always a bad thing, particularly when it means that you don’t risk losing a 22-year-old, right-shooting, NHL-ready defenceman for nothing.

What’s maddening is that the Canucks were aware of this and still sent Corrado down."

- See more at: http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-take-unnecessary-risk-exposing-frank-corrado-to-waivers-1.2077665#sthash.TgmKlZA1.dpuf

Hindsight, as they say is 20-20.  No one was complaining when Frankie played those games in the 2013 playoffs vs. the Sharks and looked like a solid no. 6 guy at the time.  So to villify Gillis and now Benning for the chain of events that followed is a little like crying over spilled milk.

Though I agree that Benning could have been a little more creative in the way he handled Frankie in October (especially with Higgins being laid up) -- but apparently after 15+ teams showed no interest in him in a trade -- Benning thought he could pass him thru waivers.  That's a pretty decent calculated risk if you ask me (especially after Hutton, Biega, Fedun and Pedan passed him on the depth chart).  

Obviously, as Benning has stated many times, he felt the best thing for Corrado was for him to be playing which probably wasn't going to happen in Vancouver until such time injuries (which are inevitable) occurred.  How he's been handled in Toronto is a head scratcher, but as Benning stated, that's there business.

Anyways, with Hamhuis, Sbisa, Hutton on the limp, Fedun out, it would be nice to have Frankie in the organization...but that again is circumstantial and with the benefit of hindsight.  

And to think, I at one point in time, thought Corrado was going to be better than Tanev...so really, what do I really know?  :huh:

16 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Reality tells you as much. You don't find diamonds in the rough mid season and sign them to a PTO for likely peanuts. I still don't know why they didn't bring in McEnemy or Cedarholm....that's why we have a ECHL team in the first place

it could happen...in a Kevin Costner movie

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Sheilds stats of late in the ECHL are above average.. Its interesting, and the norm for big boys playing defence to grow into their bodys and develop later. 

If it wasnt for "hope", most kids/men would just quit playing hockey altogether. Sometimes people "should do" a lot of things.. I for one wish Mr Sheilds the best of luck with this opportunity with the Utica Comets. I hold the same hope for him as i do all young men playing this game and risking their health and welfare in it.   ...after all, its a major injury that created this movement.

Again.. Good luck Mr Sheilds.

You will get no quarrel from me that players like Shields continue to play because they still love the game and have a burning hope that they will make it to the show one day...I suppose that is to be commended.  And maybe, just maybe, he's one of the very few that make it from the ashes of the ECHL and to the NHL on the back of a PTO.  But that's not likely to happen (sorry to sound like the Grinch who stole Christmas).  

So yes, we should wish these guys luck for them to make the NHL or even make an impact at the AHL because they are in need of it.  And obviously, the better they play, the better it's for the Comet/Canucks organization.

Wonder what Sacha Guimond, Jeremie Blain and a bunch of others who had great ECHL numbers are doing right now?  Probably playing in some Div. 2 Euro League.  Anyways, Shields is on a PTO for the Comets...so let hope he plays well enough to help the Comets out as they whether the loss of their d-men.

EDIT: Just checked on Guimond and Blain...looks like both are playing in the ECHL...Blain, a RHD who the Canucks cut loose last season, is "lighting" it up - 23 GP 18 PTS with the Brampton Beast.  

18 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

You will get no quarrel from me that players like Shields continue to play because they still love the game and have a burning hope that they will make it to the show one day...I suppose that is to be commended.  And maybe, just maybe, he's one of the very few that make it from the ashes of the ECHL and to the NHL on the back of a PTO.  But that's not likely to happen (sorry to sound like the Grinch who stole Christmas).  

So yes, we should wish these guys luck for them to make the NHL or even make an impact at the AHL because they are in need of it.  And obviously, the better they play, the better it's for the Comet/Canucks organization.

Wonder what Sacha Guimond, Jeremie Blain and a bunch of others who had great ECHL numbers are doing right now?  Probably playing in some Div. 2 Euro League.  Anyways, Shields is on a PTO for the Comets...so let hope he plays well enough to help the Comets out as they whether the loss of their d-men.

EDIT: Just checked on Guimond and Blain...looks like both are playing in the ECHL...Blain, a RHD who the Canucks cut loose last season, is "lighting" it up - 23 GP 18 PTS with the Brampton Beast.  

Hopefully Blain is drawing the right attention, i just checked his stats.. He packs a good frame.  

Its messed up that the NHL targets young players playing the game, to play against MEN who have the ability to destroy them.. and the NHL Teams that prey on that.. The Oilers for example.. Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, Yakipov, McDavid.. In  3 seasons combined, you can count the injuries on your fingers and toes..  Their personal injuries at a young age will cut into the length of their prospective careers.

Better, deeper scouting might exume some great talent, if the time and patience is taken to persue it.

i personaly love watching the game at every level,. Ive watch Junior A that I think is faster than the Dub,. and Junior B, that can be harder and gritter than both,. But still a complete, fast game. I would buy season tickets to the Comets games if I were closer..   maybe i'll get tickets under the tree in a couple of years ;) 

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hopefully Blain is drawing the right attention, i just checked his stats.. He packs a good frame.  

Its messed up that the NHL targets young players playing the game, to play against MEN who have the ability to destroy them.. and the NHL Teams that prey on that.. The Oilers for example.. Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, Yakipov, McDavid.. In  3 seasons combined, you can count the injuries on your fingers and toes..  Their personal injuries at a young age will cut into the length of their prospective careers.

Better, deeper scouting might exume some great talent, if the time and patience is taken to persue it.

i personaly love watching the game at every level,. Ive watch Junior A that I think is faster than the Dub,. and Junior B, that can be harder and gritter than both,. But still a complete, fast game. I would buy season tickets to the Comets games if I were closer..   maybe i'll get tickets under the tree in a couple of years ;) 

Not saying that it's right, but the world of professional sports is governed by the law of the jungle (and that's just training camp).  It's either you eat or you get eaten.  Every single player who signs up for pro sports as a career knows and accepts that this is the single rule of engagement and participation...it is natural selection at the highest level.  I played as far as AAA midget and it was no different at this level (sometimes even worse coz some of the kids had nutbar parents - e.g., Patrick O'Sullivan - ...mine were pretty sane).  

Anyways, if a player or two or eight who played more two or more seasons in the ECHL (i.e., Alex Burrows - 3 seasons, BJ Crombeen - 2, Deryk Engelland - 4, Adam Cracknell 2, Vern Fiddler - 2, Andrej Nestrasil - 2, Michael Hutchison -2) and a few who have become legit top players for their respective teams after apprenticing in the "E" (i.e., Mike Hoffman, Devan Dubnyk, Mike Smith, Jon Quikc, David Desharnais, Dan Girardi), I suppose there is hope for any player...even David Shields.   

17 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I agree that the Corrado waivers was mismanaged. A 22 year old defenseman who still has some upside potential is most likely going to be claimed and he was. Vancouver could have done exactly what Toronto did and kept him in a press box initially and then send him down for conditioning to keep him fresh. The inevitable injury would happen where Frankie could be used. Poor asset management IMHO especially after trading Clendening and not signing another depth defenseman to stash in Utica.

Injuries happen and it is not that unusual for them to come in bunches. You have to plan for that scenario with depth signings. With Pedan called up the only defensemen left on NHL contracts are all rookies. Trust me when I say that Subban and Sautner are no where near NHL ready and apparently Cederholm isn't even AHL ready.

The firing of Henning and Gilman is really noticeable right now.

I a fan of Henning to be honest but Gilma struck me as the voice of reason and could argue against say Gillis so that all points of view are aired, JB does not need a yes man

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Benning took a gamble that didn't work. At the time most NHL teams had their rosters set and waiving Corrado might have worked. You mentioned Hutton who had a great camp. Another consideration is how much youth would have been reasonable in that line up? They had Hutton, McCann and Virtanen as rookies and Horvat and Kennans as 2nd year pros. Suggestions that Benning is incompetent is a joke.

I'm assuming you're talking to Fred and not me considering the content of your post.

Sheilds has posted 2 points in his first 2 games with the Comets (1G 1A) .  not a bad way to start a PTO!

David Shields
Defense -- shoots R
Born Jan 27 1991 -- Rochester, NY 
[24 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.03 -- Weight 211 [191 cm/93 kg]
Drafted by St. Louis Blues
- round 6 #168 overall 2009 NHL Entry Draft
2015-16    Adirondack Thunder*    ECHL    15    2    7    9    9    13                    
2015-16    Utica Comets    AHL    2    0    1    1    

Archived