The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Sheilds talk (PTO)

SilentSam

Shields looked pretty good last night, decent size, responsible.  He did get beat when Schaller overpowered him for Rochester's second goal but he was in position basically and didn't foul.  The Amerks' Schaller is very good and made a great play driving to the net.  It's hard to tell sometimes with D men with the way our forwards are required to come back so deep and to back check so hard.  They make the D job little easier and it sometimes takes away from our offense.  

8 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Shields looked pretty good last night, decent size, responsible.  He did get beat when Schaller overpowered him for Rochester's second goal but he was in position basically and didn't foul.  The Amerks' Schaller is very good and made a great play driving to the net.  It's hard to tell sometimes with D men with the way our forwards are required to come back so deep and to back check so hard.  They make the D job little easier and it sometimes takes away from our offense.  

Hope to hear more positive observations,. given the shuffle at the defensive position lately,. I think Mr Sheilds may turn out to be an exceptional find .. Thanks for the update hobbart16 ! Hope to hear more.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Sheilds has 4 points in 5 games, hope this continues for him. Starting to look like a solid find in a big framed Dman.  Anyone know the terms of his PTO?

No, but since they're all pretty much the same we can probably come pretty close, unless I'm missing what you're looking for.

The player signs for a fixed number of games, the maximum being 25.  There's no reason from the team's point of view not to sign the player for a full 25 game PTO.

The team can release the player at any time, returning him, in the case of an ECHL player, to his ECHL team.

At the end of 25 games the player is either returned to the ECHL (or released) or signed to a second PTO or signed to a standard AHL or NHL contract.   At the end of a 2nd PTO the player must either be signed to a standard contract or be released to return to his ECHL team.

26 minutes ago, tyhee said:

No, but since they're all pretty much the same we can probably come pretty close, unless I'm missing what you're looking for.

The player signs for a fixed number of games, the maximum being 25.  There's no reason from the team's point of view not to sign the player for a full 25 game PTO.

The team can release the player at any time, returning him, in the case of an ECHL player, to his ECHL team.

At the end of 25 games the player is either returned to the ECHL (or released) or signed to a second PTO or signed to a standard AHL or NHL contract.   At the end of a 2nd PTO the player must either be signed to a standard contract or be released to return to his ECHL team.

Thank you..  Given the D situation created by the Nucks, almost seems obvious Sheilds may stick for the season in Utica.. might be nice to confirm that if you (we) were the player in his situation.  An air of positivity may bring even better play.

On 2015/12/30 at 1:14 PM, Hutton Wink said:

For the Utica fans that may not have heard, Biega probably isn't coming back down.

He's fitting into the NHL roster very nicely. Great find by Gillis. Too bad it was a little too late for Gillis.

21 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I wasn't aware until recently that Biega was actually drafted by Buffalo during Bennings time with that organization

yeah i thought that was kinda cool.  turns out JBs fanfare for Alex is nothing new.

3 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

yeah i thought that was kinda cool.  turns out JBs fanfare for Alex is nothing new.

We best make  list of players that have a history with Benning....seems their likelihood of getting an opportunity with Vcr will be tilted in their favour. Here's me thinking they're just looking at the best player available

12 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

We best make  list of players that have a history with Benning....seems their likelihood of getting an opportunity with Vcr will be tilted in their favour. Here's me thinking they're just looking at the best player available

meaning in the draft, or FA?

23 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

meaning in the draft, or FA?

Oh, FA's of course, you can't have a history before the draft takes place. He does tend to hang onto his past choices some of which are players he drafted or worked with or he held in high regard durig their draft year. Remember the first comments he made when Baertschi was aquired was basically he was a terrific junior.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

O-D Comets @OD_Comets Feb 14

The Comets have signed defenseman David Shields to another PTO, according to the AHL transaction page. He is 2-4-6 in 12 games.

Never heard of the guy.  Is he someone who could come up and play when we trade Tanev?  That could really help our rebuild if he is.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Never heard of the guy.  Is he someone who could come up and play when we trade Tanev?  That could really help our rebuild if he is.

Sheilds was buried in the Blues system .. If you look at there D roster, its understandable.  Sheilds just needed to get his big body developing in the good hands of Coach Green.   Gotta agree with you on Tanev  Alf,.  Too light,. I think he os 180.. Should be 200-205.

i think the T Hamonic move happens in the Summer, if Canucks brass are allowed  to talk to him, i can see Tanev and a conditional 2nd. Round pick to NYI for Hamonic.

1 hour ago, Jiggs50 said:

Why the hell would we trade Tanev? Wtf...

While I agree Hamonic is a great target come summertime however trading Tanev it just feels like a lateral move. Having both Tanev and Hamonic on the same roster would be amazing! What if the Canucks tried Edler to NYI and if he doesn't waive for them trade him to where he will and use the return to bring in Hamonic.

Archived