The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Canada WJC - Virtanen update

NHL'er

14 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Send them both.

Yes, 

And send them both down to juniors after the WJC and before 40 games on the roster. Add a year to club control of their contracts and let them develop properly. 

Look what sending Draisaitl down after 37 games last year did for his game. He got to develop his game, made a long run in the playoffs and is dominating this year. I don't see that happening if Oilers didn't send him down last year. They even sent him down to AHL for a few games to begin this year which lit a fire in him. The kids the best player on the team right now, right there along with Hall.

I think the players should be able to decide if they want to go or not, not the GM.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for these kids, and they don't get to make the decision. They can come back and play in the NHL whenever, but this is their last year to represent their country. They should be able to choose what they want to do.

I understand that their NHL teams have the rights to them, but this tournament is limited time thing, where as the NHL is not. The players should get as many opportunities as they possibly can to play there, since it can only happen three times maximum.

Our center depth would still be decent without McCann:

Sedin

Sutter

Horvat

Vey

If Sutter isn't back:

Sedin

Horvat

Vey

Cracknell

What's the point of having NHL ready callups in Utica if your never going to use them when the situation arises?

Am i the only one who is uncertain about this young canadian team in the wjc?  There are a lot of new faces too this particular event.  does anyone follow the u18's close enough to give me some comfort?  Are we for sure a shoe in for the gold metal game?  
I know we have a blind and passionate belief we should always win just curious if there is any reason for any doubt at all.  The u18's did well last season did they not?  Virt could be a major contributor on this lineup if he goes.  Just hope he doesn't fall on his face in the process.  We need virt to be an offensive juggernaut to validate our insecurity of his draft selection lol. :) 

I'm look forward to the event though. I am sure he will find his way.  Just being silly on the past part :D

Is it a fair assessment though to say it feels jake has been a passenger all season.  Imo he plays best when hes a driver of play and takes control of the game.  I hope in the WJC he doesn't overthink his game and returns to what makes him soo great.  His natural instincts to drive the play.  He seems to be so worried about making the wrong play hes scared to do what makes him so successful. Hope he plays like a boss in WJC.  Hope it isn't a situation where he plays 2 safe and we lose because of it.

Canada's success may largely hinge on his performance.  He is one of the few impact players left on the team this year. You can argue he was sheltered last year which he was but he is one of the few players left who played in the top 6 from last year.  He's going to be shouldering a lot of expectation despite his very rare skill and young age. Look forward too seeing how he responds.

This could be a great maturation stage for his development mentally if he lives up to the stage.  Maybe keeping McCann adds more pressure on Virt to be the force since mccann has been the bigger impact player at the nhl thus far.  maybe thats what he needs.  maybe im crazy lol.

14 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think the players should be able to decide if they want to go or not, not the GM.

Sorry,  but you don't put pressure on kids to make decisions like that - it's a no- win decision.   

He decides to go, and the NHL club struggles that's guilt. 

He decides not to go and Canada wins, that's regret. 

I know you are thinking he decides to go and they win plus the Canucks do well but that's a big 'if' that you don't want a kid to have to deal with imo.

JB is there to make that decision,  let him do it. 

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Sorry,  but you don't put pressure on kids to make decisions like that - it's a no- win decision.   

He decides to go, and the NHL club struggles that's guilt. 

He decides not to go and Canada wins, that's regret. 

I know you are thinking he decides to go and they win plus the Canucks do well but that's a big 'if' that you don't want a kid to have to deal with imo.

JB is there to make that decision,  let him do it. 

I'm just saying the players can only go to the WJC's for 2-3 years. They can play in the NHL for 15. It's no like we are losing them for the rest of the season, just two and a half weeks. Win or lose, playing in a tournament like that is amazing. Getting a chance to bond with new teammates of the Marner and Strome caliber and play with new players is exciting, especially when you get to do it for your country.

Maybe the players themselves shouldn't choose. That would be too much pressure. But GM's should be loaning players more often than not. There are special cases like McDavid, Eichel and Ekblad, where they do play pivotal roles on your team, but I think we can afford to let McCann and Virtanen go. It's a #4C and a #3-#4RW we lost, not our #2C or our #2D

I'm happy Jake is going down. Guy needs his confidence back. Team Canada will help him out I'm certain.  He looked a bit rough before his injury, this will definitely help out his confidence. 

I don't understand why everyone wants McCann to go to Team Canada as well though. Watching him, he's looked pretty good in the NHL. His game away from the puck has vastly improved, and he's transitioning well. He's not scoring, but he's making things happen out there. I think McCann has earned his spot to stay. Jake though needs a tune up. 

9 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

I'm happy Jake is going down. Guy needs his confidence back. Team Canada will help him out I'm certain.  He looked a bit rough before his injury, this will definitely help out his confidence. 

I don't understand why everyone wants McCann to go to Team Canada as well though. Watching him, he's looked pretty good in the NHL. His game away from the puck has vastly improved, and he's transitioning well. He's not scoring, but he's making things happen out there. I think McCann has earned his spot to stay. Jake though needs a tune up. 

Because we aren't viewing them being released to the WJC as a tune up, especially for McCann's sake.

This team is going no where this year and he wasn't part of Canada last year. Would be a geat experience and I'm sure it would be good for his development overall. 

Plus, its only 2-3 weeks total time gone. 

10 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Simple answer, It's fun to watch Canucks prospects dominate at any level. McCann and Virtanen on the #1 line for Canada.

Dream come true for somebody like myself who loves the Canucks and the World Juniors.

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Because we aren't viewing them being released to the WJC as a tune up, especially for McCann's sake.

This team is going no where this year and he wasn't part of Canada last year. Would be a geat experience and I'm sure it would be good for his development overall. 

Plus, its only 2-3 weeks total time gone. 

But who replaces McCann?  We dont have  enough options to replace McCann, and Carknell on the 3rd line would be a major face palm

Archived