The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blackhawks' Trevor Daley available.

Ilya Mikheyev

Garrioch

There is interest in Chicago D Trevor Daley, who has a cap hit of $3.3 million through next season. Yes, he went into the weekend with no goals in 26 games but a few teams believe that Daley, 32, might thrive if he is given a change of scenery. He was an important player on Dallas under coach Lindy Ruff but that has changed under Chicago’s Joel Quenneville. It can be tough to change Quenneville’s mind if you don’t make a good first impression and Daley has struggled with the Hawks. He’s is being used in a third-pairing role and if moved could get the chance to play a top four role. That may be why Chicago GM Stan Bowman has set the asking price high by seeking a second-round pick and a prospect.

The Hockey News:

Since joining the Blackhawks last summer in a trade from the Dallas Stars, the 32-year-old Daley struggled to adjust to his new club. With the Blackhawks reportedly seeking a top-four defenseman since mid-November, it’s believed they’d like to ship out Daley.

Friedman:

Chicago’s Trevor Daley could be had, but teams are careful about anyone with term. Daley’s got one more season at $3.3 million. Thought he’d score there, but it hasn’t worked so far.

2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

lol at 2nd + a prospect though. 

2nd and prospect would be what JB would ask for Hamhuis and he's UFA next year. Daily is still signed thru next year at a descent cap hit. Both top 4 Dmen on our team and perhaps not on a Cup contender. It may cost a 2nd plus C level prospect for Daily vs a 2nd + B- level for Hammer at the deadline so not a huge difference. Essentially Daily could be had for a 2nd if lower tier, non playoff team like Vancouver wanted him as it will most likely be a top 10 pick in the 2nd round vs a contending team where the 2nd would be in the 20's. 

Not expecting JB to trade for him as it would make no sense to trade away a high 2nd at this point of time in the rebuild. Canucks are looking to add more picks not trade them away.

J.B. should take note of how to market guys like Bowman does.  Turning a fringe top-4 D-man into a 2nd round pick and prospect is pretty decent, especially when considering that that D-man is a bottom-pairing D and a weakness of your team is that you're short of cap space.  If they can flip the expensive, redundant vet they can just keep restocking the prospect shelf and developing cheap, homegrown players to complement their stars and remain competent.

That said, at this stage of the team's life I wouldn't recommend getting a player that another team wants to dump for that price. Hope Jim can low-ball him, at most give a 3rd or maybe Weber?

11 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

J.B. should take note of how to market guys like Bowman does.  Turning a fringe top-4 D-man into a 2nd round pick and prospect is pretty decent, especially when considering that that D-man is a bottom-pairing D and a weakness of your team is that you're short of cap space.  If they can flip the expensive, redundant vet they can just keep restocking the prospect shelf and developing cheap, homegrown players to complement their stars and remain competent.

That said, at this stage of the team's life I wouldn't recommend getting a player that another team wants to dump for that price. Hope Jim can low-ball him, at most give a 3rd or maybe Weber?

I wouldn't even offer our 3rd right now. Its time to acquire more 2nds and 3rds, not trade them away. 

19 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

What ever you think of Weber, he is depth.  I doubt JB attempts to bolster his blue line and doesn't improve depth as well.  It doesn't make sense to give up anybody who can play.  Even Weber.  At 32, Daley would only be plugging a hole for the short term anyways.

Daley had a career year last year with the Stars 16-22-38 fwiw.  No goals this year with Chi

As JB has already commented, the asking price for d-men right now are out of whack (well, he said something like that).  If I'm JB, I'm standing pat...the current injury situation puts JB in a pressure-free situation as it relates to how the season plays out -- if the team goes on a bit of a roll, then he and Willie are applauded for how the team of rag-tag players held together by a Dan Hamhuis stitch over-performed, and if the team goes into the toilet like they were a couple of weeks ago, then they can chalk it up to injuries being the cause.  

Either way, the Canucks brass are going to get a free pass from ownership and most of the fanbase because of the injury situation.  I don't think anyone is going to villify Benning for standing pat and refusing to mortgage any of the team's future for a quick fix for the here and now.

EDIT: forgot this was a thread on Trevor Daley.  So having said all of the above^^^, I hope JB isn't entertaining any thoughts of acquiring Trevor Daley.

Daley is 31 with a 3.3 mil cap hit and 1 year left on his contract after this season. That being said, the price is probably correct. Defense is going to be expensive at the moment as many teams are reportedly looking for defenders.

Daley would likely help us out; however, at a 3,3 mil cap hit, he'd be our 5th defenseman at over a 3mil cap hit. To me, it seems like one of those situations where it could happen, but it probably shouldn't. He's only 1 year younger than Hamhuis and hasn't worked out in Chicago.

Damaged-Goods.jpg

coming off his best statistically offensive year, 16 goals surpised me in under 70 games too. He is only 32 and can be a serviceable top 4 on our team probly or a solid #5.

Especially if Hammer is gone after this season, would bring some veteran leadership to the back end 

Just now, Fanuck said:

He's Ufa,  why give up anything for him if he could be available in July  (not that I even want the guy)?   

Because we need another D-man for this season.

He could be re-signed before July if they're interested in him.

Either way we should only be giving up picks and prospects for 22-26 year olds at this point. Not 32 year olds.

Archived