The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks TV Ratings are down 27%

DonaldBrashear

2 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I miss the intros. They had some epic intros. WHY would Sportsnet cut the intros? I don't get it. Cost too much money? LOL.

I think cost was the case.
Rogers Sportsnet let go the guy who was doing montages this year.

Now there's also wayyyyy too many Hometown Hockeys and hockey specials.  When I was growing up there was 1 Hockey Day In Canada where they broadcast 3 games and I looked forward to that day all year... Now with the Heritage Classics, Stadium Series, Hometown Hockeys, they've ruined a good thing...

25 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Makes sense. The Canucks are boring to watch. 

Not really boring, the team is not a competitive team and casual fans only watch winning sports teams, in every sport and every market. The fans who watch regardless of performance are still watching. 

Boring was during the end of Nonis era, before MG took over. Even hardcore fans complained because the style of play could only excite a guy like Jacques Lemaire. The roster sucked, the team sucked and style of play was worse than boring, it was frustratingly painful to watch a Canucks game.That's when Rogers started complaining to Aquas because the ratings were so bad and Rogers couldn't handle it anymore. That was probably some of the most boring NHL hockey I've seen and I've been watching this game for decades.

What the hell did they expect giving the rights to Rogers? Frickin ridiculous. Rogers is absolutely terrible. For example Hockey Night in Canada just doesn't feel the same anymore. I used to get so pumped to watch hockey on Saturday Nights, and now it's like meh.

Remember when they had intro's like this every Saturday and it got you friggin pumped

I had hoped that Sportsnet would have gotten rid of the more unprofessional characters in the HNIC broadcast.  Unfortunately, the only positive moves they made were canning Mark Lee and relegating Rotten Ronnie to the Sunday broadcast.  They're pushing an unwatchable product at the moment and I have other things to watch.

Bigger picture, blame the NHL for the lockout making me a bigger NFL fan.

I watch most of the games." From an American streaming site"

I watch the games to cheer on the opposition. I still have high hopes of a top 5 pick and some trades made late in the year for draft picks. Trades that will clear cap space for next year.

Believe it or not but I am a real Canuck fan. I watch win or lose! 

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not really boring, the team is not a competitive team and casual fans only watch winning sports teams, in every sport and every market. The fans who watch regardless of performance are still watching. 

Boring was during the end of Nonis era, before MG took over. Even hardcore fans complained because the style of play could only excite a guy like Jacques Lemaire. The roster sucked, the team sucked and style of play was worse than boring, it was frustratingly painful to watch a Canucks game.That's when Rogers started complaining to Aquas because the ratings were so bad and Rogers couldn't handle it anymore. That was probably some of the most boring NHL hockey I've seen and I've been watching this game for decades.

It's not just the on ice product.  It's the topics and analysis.  Rogers attempts to make it more glitzy and hiring a metro-sexual as a host ...

I honestly pause the TV at the end of the period and go do something for 15 minutes before I come back and go live again. 

As for the on-ice product...Benning needs to talk to WD about personnel decisions.  Weber in for Pedan?  Come on, the guy is a train wreck. The softest D-man in the league and can't play defense.  With the injuries it's a great chance to entice fans with some more youth and a little toughness but WD goes with old Weber the turn over machine.  

As long as they keep Don Cherry, I will continue to watch. 

Among my favorite youngsters is Elliot Freidman, I tell you what this guy has connections all around the league and if he says something, you can bet he has a first-rate source for his information. 

I also wish Chris Cuthbert would come back, my favorite all-time play-by-play guy just gets me into the game!

4 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

As long as they keep Don Cherry, I will continue to watch. 

Among my favorite youngsters is Elliot Freidman, I tell you what this guy has connections all around the league and if he says something, you can bet he has a first-rate source for his information. 

I also wish Chris Cuthbert would come back, my favorite all-time play-by-play guy just gets me into the game!

Freidman is outstanding, on a par with Bob MacKenzie.  Cherry was great but he's getting more and more senile.

I miss the old school guys from the 90's satellite hot stove.  But really anything is better than letting PJ Stock spew his diarrhea on national TV.

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It's boring, though I find most hockey boring these days.  The NHL is killing the game.

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i find myself not really caring about watching games this year. this team is so painful to watch this year, i'm like, okay, i'm in no real rush to turn the tv on

Same here, don't think I actually sit and watch a full game this season on tv..  Me and my buddies are STH, no one even wanna go to the game even if we give buddies for free lol

1 hour ago, Mustapha said:

Have you seen how horrible HNIC is now? 

WTF does George Snuffleupagus know about hockey?

Announcers are terribad (Dave Randorf? I would rather have screeching static than that know-nothing clown)

Also, all of us like Kelly Hrudey the Flames homer, who I am sure would wear his Flaming C Jersey on air if he could.

My god, IF i want to watch game, I will either use the American feed or mute the tv and use radio play by play.

Rogers is about as good at broadcasting hockey as they are serving their wireless customers.

Ya man, I can't stand Georgio, he knows nothing about hockey. Would love to see him outta here and Ron McLean back at the helm

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

Makes sense. The Canucks are boring to watch. 

I must be in the minority...I do not find the Canucks boring to watch...I like to see the young players improve..and who gets bored of watching the Sedins..The Canucks don't play boring trap style hockey either (Torts style hockey was really tough to watch)..I've changed my mindset about watching the team,I have no idea if they will win or lose any game..

Archived