The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks TV Ratings are down 27%

DonaldBrashear

7 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Expected. Poor team = poor ratings. Getting rid of fan favourites doesn't help things either.

How much of a fan favorite do you think he would be after posting these stats

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475663

That trade that you were saying was garbage isn't look so back is it "backtracking Baumerman"

1 hour ago, Mustapha said:

Have you seen how horrible HNIC is now? 

WTF does George Snuffleupagus know about hockey?

Announcers are terribad (Dave Randorf? I would rather have screeching static than that know-nothing clown)

Also, all of us like Kelly Hrudey the Flames homer, who I am sure would wear his Flaming C Jersey on air if he could.

My god, IF i want to watch game, I will either use the American feed or mute the tv and use radio play by play.

Rogers is about as good at broadcasting hockey as they are serving their wireless customers.

I agree. Its aweful. Paul Romanuik is terrible too. Id rather listen to the Punjabi channel. And I am not making fun of them...I am part Indian myself.

Not staying up till 1 am to watch our pathetic attempt to win games. The style we have to play to win is not exciting and clearly rarely works. 

I don't mind being tired for the Canucks I fell in love with, but not this trash. I'll  continue to watch all fri Saturday games along with any before 830.

It's funny because WGN in the states broadcasts Chicago games. The NHL in the US doesn't seem to mind multiple networks carrying it's product. When you give it all to one network, innovation stops, and competition stops. If I was the CBC, whatever Sportsnet is paying for the CHL, double it. Hire a bunch of young broadcasters, and better still ex-NHL'ers or even Ex-Juniors. Then it can really be Hockey Night in Canada. The Junior game is entertaining, because of mistakes, and players learning the ropes. But you are seeing the future. Sportsnet doesn't see hockey as a prestige event. It's a piece to make more money for multiple media platforms. Magazines, Internet content, and ways to make more money than just the games. I would like it split between TSN and Sportsnet. 

I hope sportsnet looses a truckload of money so that when they have the bid up again. TSN will up the ante. 

I think its fair to say that this is due to the on-ice product.. hard to debate that.

However, its pretty clear to me that most people are pretty down on the broadcasts themselves. Today's Chicago game was pretty hard to listen to. The color commentator was pretty awful.. I must have heard him say certain comments 2-3 times during the game repeating himself, saying incorrect facts (particularly about a coaches challenge not being allowed on that hand pass that Daniel ended up scoring on that was waved off) and also calling the wrong player names etc.

Nevermind the fact that he was gushing over Kane literally the entire game as if he is the only player on the ice.

But beyond even that, the intermission discussion is largely intolerable. I have a PVR so fortunately if I start watching the game a bit late I can usually just zip past it.. makes me wonder who actually watches some of the talk from these guys, both on CBC and Sportsnet.

Their broadcasts, imo, have been watered down.. their quality diminished, and if people aren't tuning out from the Canucks play, the rest of the broadcast is doing a great job in making those people check out as well.

3 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Not staying up till 1 am to watch our pathetic attempt to win games. The style we have to play to win is not exciting and clearly rarely works. 

I don't mind being tired for the Canucks I fell in love with, but not this trash. I'll  continue to watch all fri Saturday games along with any before 830.

I'm not sure the style we play has anything to do with it...When you just don't have enough serviceable talent in your lineup,you lose a lot....No matter how you slice and dice it...or dress it up.

Try PVR'ing the game..at least then you can hit FF.

22 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

How much of a fan favorite do you think he would be after posting these stats

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475663

That trade that you were saying was garbage isn't look so back is it "backtracking Baumerman"

A bit of a story (and hopefully you'll see why I'm saying this stuff afterwards, I'm also agreeing with you): Benning scouted a few Cougars games last year. Being from Prince George, I had heard a bunch of speculation on who he might have been scouting. Most people seemed to think it was Harkins. A few other names had also popped up. No one seemed to expect it to be Olson.

Fast forward a bit. Olson's suddenly our best defender on the team. His game has taken off. Somehow Benning saw something in him that no one else saw, and Benning proved correct.

I have a feeling that Benning, being a scout, likely sees more than most of us. He knows what to look for in a prospect's game so that he knows who to draft. This can also translate towards existing players on the team. He likely saw more in Markstrom than he did in Lack; therefore, it would have made sense for him to feed off of Lack's run last year to get whatever value he could.

Now, Lack's slump so far this year would have been unpredictable but, so far, Markstrom has looked mighty fine for us.

18 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Phillip Blunt gave me a hanky in another thread.

I'll pass it on to you. You seem to need it more....

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

A bit of a story (and hopefully you'll see why I'm saying this stuff afterwards, I'm also agreeing with you): Benning scouted a few Cougars games last year. Being from Prince George, I had heard a bunch of speculation on who he might have been scouting. Most people seemed to think it was Harkins. A few other names had also popped up. No one seemed to expect it to be Olson.

Fast forward a bit. Olson's suddenly our best defender on the team. His game has taken off. Somehow Benning saw something in him that no one else saw, and Benning proved correct.

I have a feeling that Benning, being a scout, likely sees more than most of us. He knows what to look for in a prospect's game so that he knows who to draft. This can also translate towards existing players on the team. He likely saw more in Markstrom than he did in Lack; therefore, it would have made sense for him to feed off of Lack's run last year to get whatever value he could.

Now, Lack's slump so far this year would have been unpredictable but, so far, Markstrom has looked mighty fine for us.

Excellent post.  Oh, sorry you're from PG.  So not even you have the KEY to get out of there?:)

Just now, Alflives said:

Excellent post.  Oh, sorry you're from PG.  So not even you have the KEY to get out of there?:)

Believe me. I want out! I'm actually seeing if I can find work elsewhere. Would love to live in Vancouver or the Okanagan or the island or something. A little off topic though. lol

Is the drop in TV ratings another indication of how corporate some so called fans really are?  I bet the ones who stopped watching away games are the same ones who don't know to throw a hat for a hat trick.  Maybe ticket prices will come down, as those snooty types leave?

The demograhic here is also changing and the town is no longer a middle class, take your lunch bucket to work group.  People used to love to rush home to watch hockey and unwind....these days, a lot of wealth in the city and people are doing other things.  It's sad to see things that were once held sacred here dwindling away.  Only part of the deal, but one that's surely a factor (too) that's being overlooked.  The HNIC theme song was like a religious hymn in our household...it is embedded in my memory and a huge part of growing up.  To hear that song at dinner time...it was comforting.  So change and modernizing things takes away some of the connection that people have.  It makes it different and not as familiar.

Plus....finding the damn channel it's on!!  With 400 channels, people can't find it as easily (especially the older generation like my Dad, who phones me often with a growly "what channel is the game on today???").

And when you have grown men dressed up in goalie pads in front of a net as part of the commentary in between periods, it ends up looking more like a Mr. Rogers episode than a professional sports broadcast.  I know that the further it goes away from serious broadcasting, the more it opens doors to be bizarre.  I like the light humour and banter, but there's a limit to how much boneheadedness the average viewer can tolerate.

So many things.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Believe me. I want out! I'm actually seeing if I can find work elsewhere. Would love to live in Vancouver or the Okanagan or the island or something. A little off topic though. lol

I think it is on topic though.  The true Canucks fans live around the province.  Plus they are the ones who watch the games on TV, whether the team is good or bad.  There are fans, like yourself, who would appreciate living here, so you could attend games.  There are too many, so called, corporate fans here that don't realize how fortunate they are.  So yes, I believe your desire to move closer to where going to games is a real possibility is on point.  

Maybe some of you old guys can attest to this.

If you have been a Canucks fan for a long time having a stacked team winning presidents trophies is highly irregular. 

What you see today is the norm. 

I enjoy watching hockey, I don't really care what channel it's on.

I don't really listen to what the commentator is saying either. 

Its still a hockey game. 

Win or lose its my escape from reality. 

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The demograhic here is also changing and the town is no longer a middle class, take your lunch bucket to work group.  People used to love to rush home to watch hockey and unwind....these days, a lot of wealth in the city and people are doing other things.  It's sad to see things that were once held sacred here dwindling away.  Only part, but one that's surely a factor (too).  The HNIC theme song was like a religious hymn in our household...it is embedded in my memory and a huge part of growing up.  To hear that song at dinner time...it was comforting.  So change and modernizing things takes away some of the connection that people have.  It makes it different and not as familiar.

Plus....finding the damn channel it's on!!  With 400 channels, people can't find it as easily (especially the older generation like my Dad, who phones me often with a growly "what channel is the game on today???").

And when you have grown men dressed up in goalie pads in front of a net as part of the commentary in between periods, it ends up looking more like a Mr. Rogers episode than a professional sports broadcast.  I know that the further it goes away from serious broadcasting, the more it opens doors to be bizarre.  I like the light humour and banter, but there's a limit to how much boneheadedness the average viewer can tolerate.

So many things.

But look at Toronto and Mtl, plenty of rich wealthy people in those cities, their ratings must be good I'm betting.

2 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Announcers are terribad (Dave Randorf? I would rather have screeching static than that know-nothing clown)

Also, all of us like Kelly Hrudey the Flames homer, who I am sure would wear his Flaming C Jersey on air if he could.

My god, IF i want to watch game, I will either use the American feed or mute the tv and use radio play by play.

Rogers is about as good at broadcasting hockey as they are serving their wireless customers.

That's some petty bull$&!# to complain about.

2 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Couldn't agree more.

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The demograhic here is also changing and the town is no longer a middle class, take your lunch bucket to work group.  People used to love to rush home to watch hockey and unwind....these days, a lot of wealth in the city and people are doing other things.  It's sad to see things that were once held sacred here dwindling away.  Only part of the deal, but one that's surely a factor (too) that's being overlooked.  The HNIC theme song was like a religious hymn in our household...it is embedded in my memory and a huge part of growing up.  To hear that song at dinner time...it was comforting.  So change and modernizing things takes away some of the connection that people have.  It makes it different and not as familiar.

So many things.

I think I would be close to your father's generation.  Hockey Night In Canada on CBC radio, with the greats.  Then, the black and white TV with only one station.  Then colour, and cable, but the TV still only ever set to one station.  Now, I sympathize with your father.  Some nights I just give up searching the channels, and read the comments on CDC.  Yes,  the Canucks ratings have dropped, but CDC is always on their air in Alf's house

You guys should keep in mind that this team is just coming off an all time consecutive sell out streak. It's coming off all time high ratings. The team was so good for a few years that even those who aren't necessarily hockey fans watched the games. 

Some of you may remember the 80's and the PNE Coliseum. The building was half empty on a regular basis and the team was a cat's whisker away from moving away from Vancouver. 

So just a little dose of reality. Things are just going back to "normal". 

Archived